Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is the fastest player you have seen play for Charlton ?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Johnny H was rapid

Baby Bent

But the fastest was dennis Rom
  • Options
    Lee power was quite quick aswell
  • Options
    Who remembers Alan Ellis from the early 70's? Gave is all for 20mins and then was knackered for the rest of the match. Only little but could really shift...
  • Options
    Rommedahl for me, no question. And the most frustrating thing is that loads of times on TV, both before and after his time for us, he was taking on and beating players in the way he seemed to do so little for us. He has more than 110 caps for Denmark, including one last year against the Czechs, when admittedly he didn't show much pace.

It would be easy to blame Curbs, or the English style when you get away from Arsenal, but maybe it was just in his head. He never looked comfortable in himself when I saw him in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Rommedahl has 125 caps for Denmark to be exact, plus 3 World Cup campaigns I believe.

Like mentioned already, it did amaze me how we didn't just find ways of kicking the ball upfield and letting him run after it. Sounds simplistic, but he was quick enough to do it without the ball.

I'll never forget the run he went on against Aston Villa that time where he managed to take out about half of their team in a matter of seconds before squandering a chance on goal.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Curbs decision to defend corners with 11 men used to drive me nuts at times. If ever there was a player less suited to defending a corner it was Dennis and, with his pace being electric like it was, leaving him up top on his own seemed to me to be the obvious answer to chasing down the clearance when it came.

• Options
    Rommedahl was dynamite on Pro Evo... it still hurts, I really thought we had gone up a level when he turned up... But who knows, if powelly can do the magic maybe we see a team of internationals again...
  • Options
    Speaking to Brondby fans last year they said Rommedahl was having the same problems, and that he needs the ball ahead of him rather than to his feet. I'm guessing he was poor for the rest of the season, they were in a relegation scrap and he's not quite one to roll up his sleeves.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Curbs decision to defend corners with 11 men used to drive me nuts at times. If ever there was a player less suited to defending a corner it was Dennis and, with his pace being electric liek it was, leaving him up top on his own seemed to me to be the obvious answer to chasing down the clearance when it came.

This, however it needed to rely on Deano's kicking.
  • Options
    Mick Bennett.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013

Dennis Rommedahl by a country mile. I seem to remember he could run 100m time in an Olympic qualifying time.

Yes it was said to be 10.2 seconds at the time. I never got the same sense of his speed as I did with say Darren Bent or Danny Haynes for that matter. I thought Izale McLeod looked quick - especially when he played again Docherty v Norwich - so maybe just an illusion!

Paddy MCarthy always looked slow to me - I often wondered whether he was running backwards sometimes!

• Options
    Doherty once made Filipe Morias look like Cristiano Ronaldo. Pinch of salt and that jazz
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Rommedahl has 125 caps for Denmark to be exact, plus 3 World Cup campaigns I believe.

Like mentioned already, it did amaze me how we didn't just find ways of kicking the ball upfield and letting him run after it. Sounds simplistic, but he was quick enough to do it without the ball.

I'll never forget the run he went on against Aston Villa that time where he managed to take out about half of their team in a matter of seconds before squandering a chance on goal.

If its the game I am thinking of didn't he actually get cut down by Gareth Barry, which earned a yellow but should have been red as no one else had a cat in hell's chance of catching him
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Speaking to Brondby fans last year they said Rommedahl was having the same problems, and that he needs the ball ahead of him rather than to his feet. I'm guessing he was poor for the rest of the season, they were in a relegation scrap and he's not quite one to roll up his sleeves.

But blimey, how old is he now, 35?

• Options

cafctom said:

If its the game I am thinking of didn't he actually get cut down by Gareth Barry, which earned a yellow but should have been red as no one else had a cat in hell's chance of catching him
    If its the one I'm thinking of, didn't Barry get a red? Rommedahl looked like he was petrified anyway
  • Options
    In other news Dennis Rommedahl is 4 caps off being Denmarks record app holder
  • Options

Paul Gorman was a little on the rapid side.

He was our representative in some football league 100m thing, he came last

• Options
    Eddie Youds to the bar
  • Options
    eldavide said:

Paul Gorman was a little on the rapid side.

He was our representative in some football league 100m thing, he came last

Correct. I got the impression that we sent him because we didn't want to risk our better players getting hurt/time away from training. Of that era I think we had faster in Minto and Kim Grant. Garry Nelson was also very quick despite his age.

• Options

Who remembers Alan Ellis from the early 70's? Gave is all for 20mins and then was knackered for the rest of the match. Only little but could really shift...

I remember him well I thought he showed great promise and was one for the future , sadly he did not play many games and was allowed to leave the game. My uncle the former Charlton player Riley Cullum Always said that Gordon Hurst was the fastest player he ever saw to leave the pitch at half time - to get to his ciggie that he always left under the toilet seat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No comment from me - but I did laugh at some of your comments. I do however recall a wig from the crowd shout to DM "run Forrest run" - that made me laugh!

• Options

RedPanda said:

• Options

RedPanda said:

• Options
    Dennis back in top division in Holland for 2013-2014 season with Waalwijk only time will tell if he can hack it .Should do okay i think.
  • Options

Gary "The Doc" Doherty.
  • Options
    edited June 2013