Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russians in for Charlton as Jimenez looks to sell to consortium

Comments

• Options
    Think Charlie Wright's better than Yashin !
  • Options
    That team would never work - both Stalin and Trotsky play wide on the left, Gegarin is always looking for space and Gorbachov is no good at forming walls.

Rasputin is known for his poisonous influence in the dressing room.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Addickted said:

And he's always the longest in the shower too!
  • Options
    Boris Spassky and Garry Kasparov should be our new coaching team. Great for tactics - turning defence into attack - but they might spend ages over each move.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

That team would never work - both Stalin and Trotsky play wide on the left, Gegarin is always looking for space and Gorbachov is no good at forming walls.

You try finding a Russian right-winger that isn't Tsarist.

I must admit though I was tempted by a midfield trio of Wankov, Tossov and Buggerov

• Options
    I was looking forward to signing a chestikov too.......
  • Options

Or the forward line of Putin (Capt), Tapin and Smackin....
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Bubble said:

Off_it said:

Off it - as far as most on here are concerned AB, for better or worse, long ago earned his stripes and has nothing to prove to anyone. You ??

I've nothing to prove to anyone either. And even if you thought I did then I wouldn't give a monkeys.

I guess that makes us equal then.
    Reply of the year.

FFS. Please do not keep trying to turn this into an internal sniping match. You may not care about who owns or will own our club. This thread is for those who do care.

What was your take on the situation Prague? I seem to remember your a big fan of the Russians :)
    Well, I haven't been in direct contact with the key people so I didn't have privileged info on this one. However my understanding is that it was not Russians involved.The first time I heard about it was on Thursday when I learnt it had collapsed. However its clear to me that several people in our community here did know about it, and kept schtumm for several weeks, and that includes Airman, so I thought the criticism of him was unfair. I do understand the general point about not damaging a due diligence process, but I think Airman and several others on here were keeping radio silence for exactly that reason.

As for Russian owners, well my heart would sink. Of course it is important not to lapse into racist generalisations. I think the Lebedev family have done a really good job at the Independent/Standard. But the trouble with Russia is that there is no tradition of either a democracy or a civic society as we understand it in Western Europe, so generally why would you expect Russian owners to fit easily into such a society? Then there is the matter that I can't imagine why any smart loaded Russian would think a second division team would be worth the bother. Russians tend not to look long term in business in my experience. But there again, Sebastian Sainsbury is as British as they come, and we'd possibly be out of business now if he'd got his hands on it.

The very best solution would be a consortium of long term Charlton fans, which is what Trusts have often enabled at other clubs.
    Maxim Demin, a Russian, owns a big chunk of Bournemouth FC .. perhaps the marina is handy for a quick getaway in case of trouble with the KGB or whoever runs Russia nowadays
  • Options
    Would like to see Jimenez and Slatter out as soon as possible as the ground will be the next asset they sell off if they stay. No morals, no money and no interest in cafc.
  • Options
    ouch, really why do you say that? Where we gonna play the Olympic stadium, Welling, Charlton Park?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    maybe they will give it up and let the fans take over? How much can we raise chaps?
  • Options

Would like to see Jimenez and Slatter out as soon as possible as the ground will be the next asset they sell off if they stay. No morals, no money and no interest in cafc.

Took over a mid table league 1 club, bought a new squad, brought in a club legend for a manager and invested in the youth set up ... Oh and they haven't sold any prized assets thus far ...
  • Options

What did the Romans ever do for us?
  • Options
    valid point, have the wheels come off tho? 7m losses to stand still.. I can see why peeps are concerned, is this the future of our club every few years? Is there an alternative and how?
  • Options
    razil said:

ouch, really why do you say that? Where we gonna play the Olympic stadium, Welling, Charlton Park?

maybe if they have their way

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

Took over a mid table league 1 club, bought a new squad, brought in a club legend for a manager and invested in the youth set up ... Oh and they haven't sold any prized assets thus far ...
    Yet
  • Options

razil said:

You have a very apt username. Be very careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    7M losses saw us promoted didn't they...hardly standing still...next set of accounts should have Championship t/o and even since then prices are up, TV money is up and wages could be down. Not saying our finances will be good but this should have taken a chunk out of the losses?
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Yet
    As none of us have crystal balls , apart from NLA , all we can comment on the here and now and what has been done.

As long as the current owners are not loading us up with debt that means we are going to be stuffed in the future , i'm happy with a steady approach.

If you are going to sell a house on Right Move your hardly going to tart it up i guess before you sell it , unless of course you want to shift it quick and can get a return on it.
  • Options

razil said:

You have a very apt username. Be very careful what you wish for.
    your username aint exactly mind blowing either but such is life. Watch the queue building behind Dennis Wise, and think about where the money will come from when Jimenez looses one court case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013

J BLOCK said:

Yet
    As none of us have crystal balls , apart from NLA , all we can comment on the here and now and what has been done.

As long as the current owners are not loading us up with debt that means we are going to be stuffed in the future , i'm happy with a steady approach.

If you are going to sell a house on Right Move your hardly going to tart it up i guess before you sell it , unless of course you want to shift it quick and can get a return on it.
    Of course they are loading the business with debt. Just look at the published accounts.

The main constraint and safeguard for supporters is that they can't easily secure loans against The Valley because of the charges on it.

A key question is why the mooted deal included buying out the directors' loans which aren't redeemable unless we get promoted. It makes little sense to do that unless your priority is to get control of The Valley in the meantime.

As for price rises affecting the operating loss, the effect next year won't be that significant in part because of reduced season ticket sales (in 2013/14) and in part because ticket income is not substantial enough in the first place.

The 2012/13 season tickets were mostly sold at the same price as the previous season (but in higher volume) while home match ticket sales were pretty flat year on year. The match ticket uplift last year will be in away ticket sales. But there are higher costs too.

• Options
    The Trust has published articles on published losses of £7M - for the League 1 Championship season - and estimates for this season just finished which are probably around £7M again...
    Gates are up, TV money is right up but the squad salaries were also up with new players, loan players and the existing players on better deals - see castrust.org/footy-biz/ffp/
    No-one has challenged the Trust analysis and people ITK have confirmed it's accurate give or take. Next season should see reduced losses because expensive players have been let go and prices are up. AB and I have quietly disagreed on this over time but to me, £1/2M additional revenue is significant... especially if followed up with either bigger crowds and/or more increases in 2014/15...
    I can't comment on directors deferred loans except to say that they are not secured on The Valley so no linkage as far as I can see... perhaps new owners don't want old directors hanging around?!

And the current board simply cannot secure loans against the Valley because banks do NOT lend to football clubs anymore! Not since the credit crunch... not since Aviva and HBOS each lost £10-20M to Southampton and Palace...

So, yes CAFC is loading up with debt for the last two years at £7M per year but the rate is about to decrease by 50%. As per FFP, only £3M more can go on this coming season and any further losses must be paid for by issuing new equity. If clubs don't comply they will be thrown out of the transfer market in 18 months time.
  • Options
    razil said:

valid point, have the wheels come off tho? 7m losses to stand still.. I can see why peeps are concerned, is this the future of our club every few years? Is there an alternative and how?

Is this something the trust could get involved with?
  • Options

So, yes CAFC is loading up with debt for the last two years at £7M per year but the rate is about to decrease by 50%. As per FFP, only £3M more can go on this coming season and any further losses must be paid for by issuing new equity. If clubs don't comply they will be thrown out of the transfer market in 18 months time.

At the moment, doesn't feel like that is much of a threat!
  • Options
    can't see how 7m a year losses are suddenlly going to halve on the back of a minimal increase in TV money and dumping the likes of Haynes and BWP.
  • Options

can't see how 7m a year losses are suddenlly going to halve on the back of a minimal increase in TV money and dumping the likes of Haynes and BWP.

If you assume BWP, Haynes, Fuller, Waggy combined £50k per week (including employment costs) then that's £2.5m, then TV money around £600k plus increased S/T & other revenue then losses must be nearly 50% down. Of course other costs will have gone up and, hopefully, we'll pick up some free transfers so wages will go back up a bit.
  • Options
    Not sure our season ticket numbers are going to increase
  • Options
    Surely they must have had an idea of what the running costs were when the bought the club and planned accordingly. I think some people judging without having any idea of the truth behind it.

I know pretty much nothing about business but wouldn't the losses be offsetable against tax from their other companies?
  • Options

losses might be down to £4.5m before any new signings... Fuller was on a big wedge so perhaps £1.5m has come off the wage bill. The point is that "only" £3M of the loss can be funded with loans.
    TV monies arrive in September so lets see what happens over next two months

• Options
    There was an indication earlier that the deal collapsed because the buyer was considered not up to it. It therefore could be good news it collapsed. Perhaps it means the current Board isn't desperate to sell (which is different from wanting to). Also it means the Board now knows where it stands. The last couple of months we would have been in limbo. Now they can get on and plan properly for the new season. Whether this will mean cost cutting or investment we will see in the next few weeks.