Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BT Sports

I've just got off the phone with BT Sports and thought I'd share this:

It would seem that if you have a Sky (HD or SD) box that has no subscription you can get BT Sport for £12 a month -there is a £15 set up charge. If you sign up before the end of August you get the HD free for a year. If you are a BT Broadband customer you get it for free.

What this means to me, and may to some of you, is that you can get 38 Premier League games for £12 a month without having to pay Sky TV the £20+ a month for their basic channels and probably another tenner for the HD channel.

The downside is that all of BT's games already disclosed are on Saturdays, so it is possible that they all will be, so if you go to Charlton games and have more than a short journey you might not benefit, but as I don't go to many away games I'm going to sign up. Also, if you don't subscribe to Sky the recording function won't work, but for live games I suspect that is less important.

Just thought I'd share.

Comments

• Alright if you like Liverpool as they'll be on most weeks.
  • Liverpool on three times in the first 12 games. 15 different Premier clubs covered in those matches. They are also showing Brazilian, French, Spanish and Italian league matches as well as 30 live non-league games - lots of Luton Town!
  • Yeah, the initial 12 games have some great matches. There seems to be a number of what I would class at 'Class A' games as well as some games that I fancy watching.

For £12 a month it seems a good deal, expecially as Sky would be over £60 a month for live football with HD.
  • I signed up for free as I am on BT Broadband, can always sky plus games
  • I phoned sky and told them I was considering moving my phone and broadband to BT. They offered to give me free broadband for 12 months which brings my bill lower than the BT offer even when I subscribe to the BT sports channels. Result
  • I phoned sky and told them I was considering moving my phone and broadband to BT. They offered to give me free broadband for 12 months which brings my bill lower than the BT offer even when I subscribe to the BT sports channels. Result

Are you not paying Sky £60+ for the HD Sports channels though?

Sky are also offering free broadband (plus line rental) to all new customers with sports package.
    Something I'll probably take up.
  • Yeah. But I would have to do that anyway unless I am missing something
  • I'll get it for free seeing as I work for BT and don't pay for Broadband, but won't get to see many of the Saturday games. As they have bought up the ESPN Channels I'd like to see them keep some of the US Sport especially MLB.
  • Talal said:

I phoned sky and told them I was considering moving my phone and broadband to BT. They offered to give me free broadband for 12 months which brings my bill lower than the BT offer even when I subscribe to the BT sports channels. Result

Sky are also offering free broadband (plus line rental) to all new customers with sports package.
    That sounds interesting, do they offer BT Sport as part of that package?

Despite the fact that they were looking for competition for the football rights this is going to make Sky and BT cut their prices and make for real competition for the consumer.
  • Sponsored links:

• But what about Virgin Media customers like me?
  • edited July 2013

Talal said:

I phoned sky and told them I was considering moving my phone and broadband to BT. They offered to give me free broadband for 12 months which brings my bill lower than the BT offer even when I subscribe to the BT sports channels. Result

That sounds interesting, do they offer BT Sport as part of that package?

Despite the fact that they were looking for competition for the football rights this is going to make Sky and BT cut their prices and make for real competition for the consumer.
    No it isn't included. I thought about getting bt broadband so as to get bt sport but the extra cost to me isn't worth a few more games when sky are already showing 116.
    Just to clarify when I said plus line rental I meant you still have to pay that and it's only to new customers with regards to the broadband, existing customers with sports package can still get it.
  • KHA if you are a Sky customer, give them a bell, they might give you free broadband as they have done for me
  • edited July 2013
    I've signed up. Baker and Kelly on a Friday night did it for me.
  • I've signed up as I get it for free as a BT Broadband customer. However I was pretty peeved that it only works on one Sky box per household, even if you have multiroom.
  • What do you have to do if you're a BT broadband customer? Does it mean you have to watch games online?
  • Register your sky card online and you'll be able to watch it on TV.
  • WSS said:

Register your sky card online and you'll be able to watch it on TV.

Thanks
  • KHA if you are a Sky customer, give them a bell, they might give you free broadband as they have done for me

Thanks, but I get my road and from a local company so that I can avoid having to pay £15 a month for a telephone line - I just use my mobile.

I also don't have a Sky subscription. It was the fact that you can have BT Sport without any contract with Sky that appealed to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone know what Sky are charging for this or even if they can / are? Broadband and TV with them but tempted by a broadband change if unable to get it through Sky. Apologies if mentioned elsewhere already!
  • dwb said:

But what about Virgin Media customers like me?

No answers so far'

Anyone know if you can subscribe for the BT games through Virgin ?

• cafcpolo said:

Does anyone know what Sky are charging for this or even if they can / are? Broadband and TV with them but tempted by a broadband change if unable to get it through Sky. Apologies if mentioned elsewhere already!

Sky will charge you £12 a month to watch BT Sport if you don't have BT Broadband.
  • I'm still hoping that I can get the BT games on Virgin Media. Nothing from VM so far---probably haggling the price.
  • cafcpolo said:

Does anyone know what Sky are charging for this or even if they can / are? Broadband and TV with them but tempted by a broadband change if unable to get it through Sky. Apologies if mentioned elsewhere already!

I have done exactly that.
  • Valley11 said:

What do you have to do if you're a BT broadband customer? Does it mean you have to watch games online?

If you have a box (e.g. the BT YouView box, Sky box etc) then you can watch it for free as a BT broadband customer (think you may have to 'order' on-line).

If you don't have a box capable of revieving the channels, you will only be able to watch it online

• Letter from Sky today telling me that my subscription is going up in September. Hmmm
  • BDL said:

Letter from Sky today telling me that my subscription is going up in September. Hmmm

That increase is to pay for our new signings and stadium announcer!

• More people should get in touch with virgin and ask what's going on in replacing Espn.
  • BDL said:

Letter from Sky today telling me that my subscription is going up in September. Hmmm

Likewise. Tempted to bin sky football and just get the free stuff from BT.