Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church **SIGNED TWO YEAR DEAL**

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh ffs why are we going for foreign players when we need proven Championship strikers!? Anyone know how tall this Soldado fella is? :-)
  • Options
    ok we have to look at cold hard facts as a way of measuring his potential and if we put him on 3.5k pw what is our return
    for reading he got 22 goals in 104 games, so every 4 to 5 games he scored a goal, now this isnt completely accurate but gives a good understanding of him. he averaged 18 games a season for reading and scoring about 4 goals, which therefore if he played 36 games for us this season he would score by law of averages 8 or 9 goals, which is enough to win 3 games. if he scored 8 goals in 36 appearances that would mean that we would invest 175k into 8 goals which is basically 22k per goal, are you prepared to pay that much per goal. personally i think we should have kept smith and pigott and let them play all the games maybe score 6 goals each. what do you think
  • Options

ok we have to look at cold hard facts as a way of measuring his potential and if we put him on 3.5k pw what is our return
    for reading he got 22 goals in 104 games, so every 4 to 5 games he scored a goal, now this isnt completely accurate but gives a good understanding of him. he averaged 18 games a season for reading and scoring about 4 goals, which therefore if he played 36 games for us this season he would score by law of averages 8 or 9 goals, which is enough to win 3 games. if he scored 8 goals in 36 appearances that would mean that we would invest 175k into 8 goals which is basically 22k per goal, are you prepared to pay that much per goal. personally i think we should have kept smith and pigott and let them play all the games maybe score 6 goals each. what do you think

I think you should be an accountant!
  • Options
    I'm prepared to pay £50k a goal if you can give me 100 of them.

Where can I buy these 'goal' things from?
  • Options
    WSS said:

Argos sell little ones.
  • Options
    WSS said:

50k per goal from Church?

That's a bit steep-le
  • Options

Alot of his appearances for Reading were off the bench (nearly half) so I dont think your working out is accurate + its not all about the goals!!
  • Options

i think your facts are wrong. of those 104 games how many did he start? figure out his mins per goal ratio and you may get a better picture of how he performed previously. However this is completely useless because, as with Yann who wasn't prolific by anymeans before joining us, some players just 'click' at certain clubs.

He couls join us and it all 'clicks' into place.

Let's judge the boy on how well he plays if/when he joins us.
  • Options
    I trust Powell not to just sign him for the sake of it. Yann had scored 1 goal in English football before he joined us so stats aren't everything.
  • Options
    I am sure the SCP wouldn't sign Anyone if he didn't think they were right. If SC does sign I will get behind him and give him the support he deserves when wearing the red shirt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As I said earlier, you have to count sub appearances otherwise David Fairclough would have been a nobody.
  • Options
    Signing now.
  • Options
    I don't understand why so many of you are getting excited about the prospect of Simon Church. He has scored a grand total of 13 goals in the last three seasons. I don't buy the excuse that many of those 85 appearances have been as a sub - If he was any good, he'd have been playing more regularly. By many accounts he has problems with confidence. His career has vaporised and he has been released by Reading; by Powell's own admission, Church is weeks away from any semblance of match fitness. Surely we can do better than that.
  • Options

I don't understand why so many of you are getting excited about the prospect of Simon Church. He has scored a grand total of 13 goals in the last three seasons. I don't buy the excuse that many of those 85 appearances have been as a sub - If he was any good, he'd have been playing more regularly. By many accounts he has problems with confidence. His career has vaporised and he has been released by Reading; by Powell's own admission, Church is weeks away from any semblance of match fitness. Surely we can do better than that.

I guess it's based on his 2009/10 season stats which were decent (10/36 in the Chanpionship). Yann had 1/20 for Leicester when he signed for us so I guess we'll give him a chance now he's in a red shirt and vest of luck to him.
  • Options

He was not released from Reading.. he turned down a contract.

He has 20+ caps for Wales (a team arguably our best player, Wiggins, can't get into) and was part of a strike force that got Reading into the prem.

Yes he didn't get regular starts but every striker judges themselves on a goals to starts ratio and going by that he isn't too bad!

Cheer up!
  • Options

We need someone cheap. We need someone now.

Do you think they could do better but just choose not to just for à laugh?

It sounds as though its happening so we can moan about it or we can get behind them all.
  • Options

Quite simply, I'm not sure we can.
  • Options

We need someone cheap. We need someone now.

Do you think they could do better but just choose not to just for à laugh?

It sounds as though its happening so we can moan about it or we can get behind them all.
    Yep, that about sums it up.

The people moaning about Church are probably the sort of blokes who turn down a few chubsters at The Venue in the hope that they can pull a Reece Witherspoon lookalike by 2am - and then end up going home alone for a hand shandy.
  • Options

People are getting excited because it's a signing. You can easily make a case for the stats saying his record isn't as bad as it looks, or that it's shit, but given we've no idea what his minutes per goal ratio is, or what the average quality of opposition he's faced is, in reality it's pointless looking at his previous record. Most of us have probably seen him live less than 5 times.

We need a striker. SCP signings track record is excellent overall, including a few gems who were considered cast offs by other clubs (managers and fans alike). Therefore why not be a bit optimistic about it? You can choose to be annoyed or think it's a bad signing, or *hope* that it'll be a good one.

I'll take the latter choice.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

has anyone on here ever seen him play ? .. & if so, is he any good ?

He's played against us a few times at least once (I think three times, although I don't think ever on the score sheet) at the Valley so I'm sure most of us will have seen him at some point.

I've posted his goal stats already so I wont bore you with those but I would add that his passing is very well respected as is his eye for an goal opportunity. He got plenty of assists to go with the goals that he got, if he was pony why would absolutely not skint Reading be offering him a years contract extension?

Young talented with something to prove! Ring any bells?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can still pull a chubster in the venue at 3am nowadays. They are still there, circling like sharks. Trust me
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

You can still pull a chubster in the venue at 3am nowadays. They are still there, circling like sharks. Trust me

Good to hear, as Ian Holloway once said....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHcZqIfhcA
  • Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yann_Kermorgant
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Always could, I usually waited till 3:30 when I definantly had no chance with the Reece Witherspoon lookalikes or the chubster's all looked like the Reece Witherspoon lookalikes.

• Options
    3am power hour
  • Options

Dizzle said:

Always could, I usually waited till 3:30 when I definantly had no chance with the Reece Witherspoon lookalikes or the chubster's all looked like the Reece Witherspoon lookalikes.

Yes, I pulled a bird in there when I was about 16 and blind drunk and was convinced she was an absolute stunner and arranged to meet her the following Friday night.

Best part was that the date was to babysit my Uncle & Aunt's kids at their mansion in Chislehurst (swimming pool, the works) and we would have to stay the night there. Result.

I arranged to pick her up at the Royal Standard and we would get the bus from there to Chislehurst - lovely jubbly.

Only problem was that when my bus pulled up at the bus stop she had gained around three stone, plenty of Randolph's and very strange googly-eyes in the days since I had seen her at the Big V.

I thought about doing a no-show (this was pre mobile phones obviously) but am a soft b'stard so ended up taking her on the date. Bad move.

Not only did it give my Uncle Ray a stick to beat me with for the next 25 years but when I made the moves on her late in the evening SHE KNOCKED ME BACK saying she "wasn't that kind of girl."

It was a bloody long and silent bus ride home the next morning, I tell you that much!
  • Options

Dizzle said:

Yes, I pulled a bird in there when I was about 16 and blind drunk and was convinced she was an absolute stunner and arranged to meet her the following Friday night.

Best part was that the date was to babysit my Uncle & Aunt's kids at their mansion in Chislehurst (swimming pool, the works) and we would have to stay the night there. Result.

I arranged to pick her up at the Royal Standard and we would get the bus from there to Chislehurst - lovely jubbly.

Only problem was that when my bus pulled up at the bus stop she had gained around three stone, plenty of Randolph's and very strange googly-eyes in the days since I had seen her at the Big V.

I thought about doing a no-show (this was pre mobile phones obviously) but am a soft b'stard so ended up taking her on the date. Bad move.

Not only did it give my Uncle Ray a stick to beat me with for the next 25 years but when I made the moves on her late in the evening SHE KNOCKED ME BACK saying she "wasn't that kind of girl."

It was a bloody long and silent bus ride home the next morning, I tell you that much!
    Young romance eh? Those were the days..
  • Options
    I recall seeing him have an amazing game against Scotland - ha ha, the Jocks LOL (though how many of the players in those teams would steam into any CCC side? Thought he looked like a massive prospect. Seems to have lost his way badly. Represents a gamble, but at the moment we're either buying out of the prospects bargain bucket, the proven average bargain bucket or the lost their way bargain bucket. With the latter we might end up with a dud, but we might end up with a gem. Kermo definitely came out of that pot and look what he's become. Most people on here didn't want him up front and a proportion of them were writing him off early doors.
  • Options

Dizzle said:

Munt-blocked.
  • Options

"Surely we can do better than that." I posted that yesterday hours before the Sordell news broke. And some of you were too quick to shoot me down.