Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church **SIGNED TWO YEAR DEAL**

Comments

• Options
    ashley said:

That religious 11 in full:

1. Nick Pope
    2. Chris Priest
    3. Mike (Church of) England
    4. Bent Christiensen ( Brondby & Denmark)
    5. Christian Dailly (Capt)
    6. Phil Chapple
    7. Jesús Navas González (Man City)
    8. Ian St John (Liverpool and England)
    9. Simon Church
    10 Ian Bishop (West Ham & Man City)
    11 Jason (Church of) Scotland

no Juan Pablo Angel ?or Marlon King or or Denis Wise (man )or the Chairman Freddy Shepherd ?
    Nice Christmas themed bench with Monk and Churchhouse but If we allow Millwall connections then what about Jermaine Easter?
  • Options
    Surprises me that so many of these nothing players are not nearer full fitness .
    I know match time is the best way but surely if you were a young hungry pro, without a contract, you'd be making sure you were in tip top shape and working your nuts off so as to give yourself the best chance of being signed up by someone asap
    Makes me think these players don't want it enough or are just plain thick
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Surprises me that so many of these nothing players are not nearer full fitness .
    I know match time is the best way but surely if you were a young hungry pro, without a contract, you'd be making sure you were in tip top shape and working your nuts off so as to give yourself the best chance of being signed up by someone asap

I think there's a difference between physical fitness and match fitness. Most will be physically very fit but require match fitness to be at 100%.

Has Church been on trial anywhere else ?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I agree with this. Players might lack sharpness if they've not had a club to train with but being physically unfit is rediculous at this stage of pre season. Pretty bad attitude if it makes the difference between getting a salary or not. Not aimed at church particularly as we don't know how fit or not he is but more and more clubs are seemingly having to work around unfit out of contract players
  • Options
    I'd imagine church is fit enough to run round for 20 minutes at the weekend then he can have minutes next week in the cup
  • Options
    SLP reports that contract negotiations have started and that Church would like them to be completed by the end of the week.
  • Options
    I thought CP said he had trained on his own, but you cannot replicate being part of pre season.
  • Options
    Loco said:

SLP reports that contract negotiations have started and that Church would like them to be completed by the end of the week.

I bet he would !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Loco said:

I bet he would !
    I would have thought we'd be quite chuffed as well
  • Options
    Ross_cafc said:

I agree with this. Players might lack sharpness if they've not had a club to train with but being physically unfit is rediculous at this stage of pre season. Pretty bad attitude if it makes the difference between getting a salary or not. Not aimed at church particularly as we don't know how fit or not he is but more and more clubs are seemingly having to work around unfit out of contract players
    Match fitness is NOT physical fitness, it's more about if you can keep up with the passing and movement of other players, your instincts for making runs and so on. Which however hard you try you can't do alone, you can practice all you want but that's why it's best to get people in early - they can train as a team and get to know how to play with each other.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of people that go jogging or running every night would class themselves as fit. Stick them in a Championship game for 90 minutes and they will quickly realise they arent 'pro footballer match fit'.

I just hope our fans give the guy a chance. Not bothered what he's done elsewhere, its what he does in a Charlton shirt that matters.
  • Options

A lot of people that go jogging or running every night would class themselves as fit. Stick them in a Championship game for 90 minutes and they will quickly realise they arent 'pro footballer match fit'.

I just hope our fans give the guy a chance. Not bothered what he's done elsewhere, its what he does in a Charlton shirt that matters.

Good post. Lots of people will be clueless about him and use wikipedia to judge their opinion.

I remember him being used a lot during reading's play off final season so he knows how to play at this level even if his record is not world class.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Blucher said:

A mate of mine, who is a Reading season ticket holder, quite likes him ( although, in my experience, people always tend to be sympathetic to players who have come through their youth scheme ).

His view is that, on the plus side, Church works hard, makes good runs and is reasonable technically; on the negative side, he never converts as many chances as he should, given the number he gets on the end of or creates, and nor is he as aggressive or imposing as he should be.

Sensible for our management to have a look at the player and assess whether he's worth a punt. Given that we need at least two forwards in and aren't spoilt for choice, it may come down to Hobson's Choice, albeit there is likely to be more movement in the market once the Premiership teams name their squads in two weeks or so.

Sounds like another ex Reading striker......

David Mooney :-)
    *shudders*
  • Options
    good job that some people use sub appearances to grade how good/bad a player is, otherwise David Fairclough wouldn't have scored any goals !!
  • Options
    has anyone on here ever seen him play ? .. & if so, is he any good ?
  • Options

has anyone on here ever seen him play ? .. & if so, is he any good ?

Yes, he featured for Reading when we pulled off a "giant killing" in the league cup. Having said that, I didn't actually notice him on the pitch as Reading were completely outplayed for most of the game. (Our reserves vs their reserves.)

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14539079
  • Options
    ^^^ I remember listening to this game .. yet twas a famous victory ... it seems to me that all the hype, opinion and (methinks) semi hysteria over Church is that some CLers are desperate that a striker is signed, ANY striker so long as he has four limbs in roughly the right place, a head, and never mind if he's two left feet ..... Chaps, let's give Pigott a go eh !! .. he is one of ours after all and not a freebie or a buy one get one at half price offer
  • Options

^^^ I remember listening to this game .. yet twas a famous victory ... it seems to me that all the hype, opinion and (methinks) semi hysteria over Church is that some CLers are desperate that a striker is signed, ANY striker so long as he has four limbs in roughly the right place, a head, and never mind if he's two left feet ..... Chaps, let's give Pigott a go eh !! .. he is one of ours after all and not a freebie or a buy one get one at half price offer

Even if we do give Piggott a go as one of four first-team strikers, we will still need to get 2 new ones in.
  • Options
    Birmingham are in talks with him now too.
  • Options

source?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

source?

As always, some bloke on Twitter.
  • Options
    Gazumped!
  • Options
    WSS said:

Gazumped!

I think they are more skint than us!

• Options

source?

As always, some bloke on Twitter.
    Correct...................... 10/10 for you
  • Options
    So Fuller's going to Blackpool
    Church is going to Birmingham
    Obika is going to partner Soldado up front for Spurs
    WE'RE DOOMED.
  • Options
    No chance, it's nonsense, he's coming here !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Who soldado? I hope we do get soldado very good player for this level
  • Options

se9addick said:

Who soldado? I hope we do get soldado very good player for this level
    Haha, he's never done it at Championship level though !
  • Options
    But could Soldado do the business on a cold Tuesday night away at Yeovil?