Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church **SIGNED TWO YEAR DEAL**

Comments

• Options
    Garry Monk?
  • Options
    As above if we are considering DNG then we might asvwell get Pavel Abbot to play alongside him.
    Dunno enough about Church but if Powell thinks he's good enough or more llikely 'available at the right price' then he gets my backing.
  • Options
    @RichCawleySLP: #cafc have opened talks over a deal for former Reading striker Simon Church.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Our strikeforce is worse than our L1 season

You are Pawel Abbot's agent and I claim my £5 - and the answer is no.
  • Options
    @RichCawleySLP: Church hoping that a contract can be agreed before the start of the Championship season. #cafc
  • Options

HandG said:

dizzee said:

Would take DNG in a flash. Big strong fast and committed

And rubbish. Desperate times though....
    Except not really. Scored 4 goals in 7 games for us and played well. He gets booed at Millwall and clearly benefits from having some support behind him. He likes Powell and I think he brings out the best in him, as he does with Yann. I'd be happy to see Dany back
    Without looking it up, I honestly don't recall DNG scoring other than the fluke from the left wing. Did he really score four in seven for us? And has Madz, above, had second thoughts about Obika being "prolific"? Apart from those few goals for us, he hasn't scored at first-team level.

Opener against Yeovil to arrest a 3 game winless run
    Second goal against Leyton Orient off the back of a loss to Hudds
    Only goal in a 1-0 win over Walsall (the game before we won promotion at Carlisle)
    Second goal against Preston after we'd won the league and played a second string

He scored some pretty important goals for us during that period where everyone starting screeching and wailing because we were only 10,00 points clear at the top rather than a million. He also didn't start all of those 7 appearances. His record for us is very impressive. No idea why he gets so much stick.
  • Options
    I hope Church surprises everyone and SCP gets the best out of him.
  • Options
    Not forgetting our very own Gary Churchouse
  • Options
    sm said:

dizzee said:

Our strikeforce is worse than our L1 season

You are Pawel Abbot's agent and I claim my £5 - and the answer is no.
    No I mean our L1 season with BWP and Kerms up top.

If we can get a couple of decent strikers in we really do have a good team as our defence is solid.
  • Options

HandG said:

dizzee said:

Except not really. Scored 4 goals in 7 games for us and played well. He gets booed at Millwall and clearly benefits from having some support behind him. He likes Powell and I think he brings out the best in him, as he does with Yann. I'd be happy to see Dany back
    Without looking it up, I honestly don't recall DNG scoring other than the fluke from the left wing. Did he really score four in seven for us? And has Madz, above, had second thoughts about Obika being "prolific"? Apart from those few goals for us, he hasn't scored at first-team level.

Only goal in a 1-0 win over Walsall (the game before we won promotion at Carlisle)
    Second goal against Preston after we'd won the league and played a second string

He scored some pretty important goals for us during that period where everyone starting screeching and wailing because we were only 10,00 points clear at the top rather than a million. He also didn't start all of those 7 appearances. His record for us is very impressive. No idea why he gets so much stick.
    Why does DNG get such stick at Millwall, as reported above?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    being a bit backward they can't sing his name properly so it's easier to give abuse and boo rather than show up their own inadequacies ;-)
  • Options

HandG said:

dizzee said:

Why does DNG get such stick at Millwall, as reported above?

Maybe because he can't produce the goods when playing for them lot.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Garry Monk?

Sign him!

• Options
    Greenie said:

As above if we are considering DNG then we might asvwell get Pavel Abbot to play alongside him.
    Dunno enough about Church but if Powell thinks he's good enough or more llikely 'available at the right price' then he gets my backing.

Abbot will go into grumpy's religious eleven, but hopefully not the Charlton eleven again...

Incidentally, Stevenage have a striker called Roarie Deacon
  • Options
    I think Church would be ok actually. Beggars can't be choosers and it could be a lot, lot worse.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I know the 'A' transfer Target list got shelved many moons ago and B,C & D shortly after. What page are we on now?
  • Options
    Monkhouse of (or ex od coz he may have joined rotherham) hartlepool in that team at 11
  • Options
    Will be very pleased if we get church. Think with a run of games - which he will get due to our lack of striking options- that he will prove a very good signing. He'll need time to build his confidence and fitness but I think he'll get into double figures goal wise next season for us
  • Options

being a bit backward they can't sing his name properly so it's easier to give abuse and boo rather than show up their own inadequacies ;-)

Nice one, Large !

• Options
    If we do sign him is he match fit or will he need a few weeks?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If we do sign him is he match fit or will he need a few weeks?

Who? Church? Even Powell says he's a long way off being match fit; reports from Ebbsfleet on Sunday confirm this, and more.

• Options

Will be very pleased if we get church. Think with a run of games - which he will get due to our lack of striking options- that he will prove a very good signing. He'll need time to build his confidence and fitness but I think he'll get into double figures goal wise next season for us

Yeah I agree with this. Give him a decent run in the team and I'm convinced he'll score goals.
  • Options

That religious 11 in full:

1. Nick Pope
    2. Chris Priest
    3. Mike (Church of) England
    4. Bent Christiensen ( Brondby & Denmark)
    5. Christian Dailly (Capt)
    6. Phil Chapple
    7. Jesús Navas González (Man City)
    8. Ian St John (Liverpool and England)
    9. Simon Church
    10 Ian Bishop (West Ham & Man City)
    11 Jason (Church of) Scotland

no Juan Pablo Angel ?or Marlon King or or Denis Wise (man )or the Chairman Freddy Shepherd ?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Mike Psalmerbee
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Yeah I agree with this. Give him a decent run in the team and I'm convinced he'll score goals.
    His agent said that if he gets a run of games in the team he will score 25-30 goals a season! Must be true so sign him up!!!
  • Options
    A mate of mine, who is a Reading season ticket holder, quite likes him ( although, in my experience, people always tend to be sympathetic to players who have come through their youth scheme ).

His view is that, on the plus side, Church works hard, makes good runs and is reasonable technically; on the negative side, he never converts as many chances as he should, given the number he gets on the end of or creates, and nor is he as aggressive or imposing as he should be.

Sensible for our management to have a look at the player and assess whether he's worth a punt. Given that we need at least two forwards in and aren't spoilt for choice, it may come down to Hobson's Choice, albeit there is likely to be more movement in the market once the Premiership teams name their squads in two weeks or so.
  • Options
    Sounds like BWP
  • Options
    If he is soooo unfit you'd have expected him to get a run out at Dartford tonight. Assuming he will sign I'd rather he got fit ASAP even if it means missing a couple of league games than be on the bench for the next two, get on for half hour but still not be fit enough even after that.
  • Options

If he is soooo unfit you'd have expected him to get a run out at Dartford tonight. Assuming he will sign I'd rather he got fit ASAP even if it means missing a couple of league games than be on the bench for the next two, get on for half hour but still not be fit enough even after that.

I'm with you on that one bro............

As things stand, I'm hoping that Joe Piggott will be at least on the bench on Sat. We can't go into that game with just Kermy and a half fit Chuch/McGurk/AN other.........recipe for disaster.

• Options
    Here is Church's career record...

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=47175

His time at Reading is not too bad, 22 goals from 55 stars and 49 sub-ons is far from disgraceful, bearing in mind plenty of those subs will have been for 10 mins game time or less.

He seemed to score a few decent goals for them too, so why not give him a years contract?