Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Insults Guide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-23510657

Liverpool Football Club staff have been issued with a guide to unacceptable language so they can help eradicate verbal abuse from fans.

The handbook highlights "offensive" phrases including "don't be a woman", "play like a girl" and "that's gay".

The club said they wanted to stamp out slurs against race, religion, sexual orientation, gender and disability.

Player Luis Suarez was found to have racially abused Manchester United's Patrice Evra during a game last year.

The club were criticised in February by black community groups for a perceived lack of action.

Liverpool's players receive their own guidance as part of a separate Premier League programme.

'Positive step'

Social inclusion officer Rishi Jain said the club had been "actively engaged in an education and awareness programme".

"This programme includes interactive workshops and a handbook which is designed to provide information on the latest equality legislation including what terminology is deemed acceptable and unacceptable."

He added it would help staff "take the necessary steps to ensure Anfield is free from all forms of discrimination".

Lord Herman Ouseley, chair of anti-discrimination group Kick It Out, said the guide was a positive step.

He said Liverpool FC had taken "great strides" to tackle discrimination.

"Match day stewards must be trained on dealing with incidents of discrimination and unacceptable behaviour in order to eradicate it from our stadiums."

Jesus wept.

wonder what a Charlton guide might include?

Comments

• I'm sure this will be a great success in Liverpool
  • This is the list...

• It reads like something created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant
  • Ah, now I understand: thought someone had been verbally abusing a Brownie.
    All they need now is a "Style Guide" and they'll be sorted.
  • Liverpool fans victimized again.
  • when is a pikey a race or religion?
  • you can bet that this list will improve the vocabulary of some scousers by 500%
  • Macronate said:

wonder what a Charlton guide might include?

Ask Paul Elliott.

• Why's 'Man Up' offensive?
  • Personally I cannot see anything wrong with words such as Half Caste, Coloured, Midget, Cripple or Handicapped and anyone that is offended with the term "man up" needs to take a serious look at themselves.

Yet another strike at the way we live by the PC brigade.

• Sponsored links:

• So I'd still be able to say crotch goblin?
  • 'She-man'

lol
  • Print some off and play insult bingo at the Toolbox.
  • Personally I cannot see anything wrong with words such as Half Caste, Coloured, Midget, Cripple or Handicapped

Wow.

Whilst I would contest the likely effectiveness of Liverpool's campaign I can't criticise the sentiment.

I was once at the Valley subjected to the joy of someone and his approx. 10 year old son both screaming at the ref that he was a 'f***ing paedo'. I'd certainly prefer to attend matches without that sort of language and I know people who don't attend matches because of that sort of language.

• Personally I cannot see anything wrong with words such as Half Caste, Coloured, Midget, Cripple or Handicapped and anyone that is offended with the term "man up" needs to take a serious look at themselves.

Perhaps if any of those terms could be used to describe you, you'd be a better judge of whether they were offensive or not?
  • when is a pikey a race or religion?

Travellers and Gypsies are accepted as distinct ethnic groups in law and also by genetic scientists. Catch up mate, it is 2013.
  • Wow. Its not April Fools Day either.
  • "Bender"?

what if Dale Stephens curls a shot into the top corner from 30 yards and someone shouts "fantastic bender Dale"?

does that person get marched out of the ground and their season ticket confiscated?
  • I've wanted the word "bender" to be banned ever since I worked in a Wimpy and they had a bender in a bun. It ceased to be amusing after the first 100 jokes about it.
  • McBobbin said:

I've wanted the word "bender" to be banned ever since I worked in a Wimpy and they had a bender in a bun. It ceased to be amusing after the first 100 jokes about it.

haha

what was a bender in a bun?

• Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

Personally I cannot see anything wrong with words such as Half Caste, Coloured, Midget, Cripple or Handicapped and anyone that is offended with the term "man up" needs to take a serious look at themselves.

Perhaps if any of those terms could be used to describe you, you'd be a better judge of whether they were offensive or not?
    If I was, or suffered from any of the above I would not be offended if someone used the words to describe me. I think you will find most of them are still within the English dictionary.
  • Macronate said:

McBobbin said:

I've wanted the word "bender" to be banned ever since I worked in a Wimpy and they had a bender in a bun. It ceased to be amusing after the first 100 jokes about it.

haha

what was a bender in a bun?

It was a frankfurter with slices along one edge that "curled" when you put it in the fryer. A dollop of ketchup and a slice of tomato to garnish, encircled by the sausage. Pretty minging.
  • Odd that there's nothing there about obese Australian illegitimate people. So presumably we can still call them fat Aussie bastards?
    BTW I have a mate who uses a wheelchair (juvenile muscular atrophy) and he calls himself a cripple. Says the word's definition describes perfectly what his status is.
  • At what stage would you really use "Lezzer" or "Dyke" at a Premier League game?

Maybe if Robbie Savage was still playing....
  • edited July 2013
    Can you still sing 'she fell over, she fell over' or is that suggesting they are inferior as they fell like a woman?
  • At what stage would you really use "Lezzer" or "Dyke" at a Premier League game?

Female lines women?................sorry 4th official

Female lines women?................sorry 4th official
    Ah! I had forgotten about that!
  • Handicapped?
  • Is this deffo for a real or a wind up ...
  • do people really say wog or coon