Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sordell on loan **CONFIRMED - SEASON LONG LOAN**

Comments

• Options

Especially at a family club like Charlton Fan. I say a loud 'NO' to such shenanigans!

Players should def be conserving their energy for what players do best.......

• Options

Especially at a family club like Charlton Fan. I say a loud 'NO' to such shenanigans!

Players should def be conserving their energy for what players do best.......

That's a whole other can of worms ;o)
  • Options

you big girls blouses getting all orgasmic just cause we've got a coupla strikers in, "oo sorry, ive just cum " there that's better, can i join in?

You missed it Sillav - World Orgasm Day was yesterday. Now what are you going to do?

• Options

A Bolton Message boards view of him.

Sordell signs for Charlton (loan)
    To be honest he was always going to end up back in london. We don't know the whole truth but all the controversy around his "homesickness", "he's unsettled" & "twitter addiction"(if that is the case) is just pathetic... sounds like a little kid unseperatable from his mummy. Thousands of players come from abroad to England & don't b*tch as much as Sordell. He was looking sharp pre-seasosn & I thought he'd do well this season. My bet is that he'll make the move perm at the end of his loan for a measly fee compared to what we wasted on him. I certainly won't be expecting him back up North at the end of his loan. Panic buy from Coyle at the time & did not pay off. I know he's still our player but part of me will be glad that he's gone, doesn't put the effort in & seems like he has an attitude problem. Now with Beckford, N'gog (injury prone), C.Davies & Eaves... what's people's opinions on our firepower & depth up front?

To be honest I can relate to that. It sounds remarkably like Andy Gray who signed for us on much bigger wages than he was on and then realised, less than a month later, that he was not happy living in the South of England. He lasted eighteen months, played very few games, then went to Barnsley for a sum that was less than a third of what we paid for him.

I would never want to force someone to live where they are not happy, but sometimes it is frustrating when a club loses a lot of money in these circumstances.

It's just nice to see us benefiting from these circumstances on this occasion.
    To be fair didn't Andy Gray have a pelvis isue that went un diagnosed for a long period of time and his wife had a serious illness? I think under those circumstances you may want to be closer to home .... apologies if I am mixxing him up with someone else
  • Options
    edited August 2013

callum I respect your opinion on players from these leagues what your opinion on sordell

If you're talking to me, I'd say he has the potential to be a Premier League player. He's not near that level yet though otherwise we'd obviously have no chance of bringing him in...

He's fairly experienced in the Championship for a 22 year old forward with almost 100 appearances & 31 goals but is still working out his best game (he was converted from a wide forward to playing off the last man at Watford I think) and that means he can be frustrating to watch and has off days. Also took a while to settle at each of his new clubs as both Watford and Bolton didn't see the best of him in his first year, hopefully he can do better than that with us.

All that said, when he's good he's very good and can turn Championship defenders inside out with his pace and quick feet. The type of goal he'll score is comparable in style to Defoe or BWP. Lots of poacher-type efforts where he'll find himself in the right place at the right time but equally, he can bang them in from long distance once or twice a season.

If you weren't talking to me, there's my brief scout report anyway. :-)
    Thanks for your scouting report, Callum - that is just as important as his stats. Sordell sounds like he could be very good for us, a proven one-in-three scorer, and it's his movement you have noted that also excites me. That sort of liveliness could inspire our midfield to make better passes in service of the attack - and worry the living daylights out of the defenders from Blackburn and 'Uddersfield. I suggest: if he's properly fit, pair him up front with Kermorgant right from the start. Bournemouth simply will not wait to have us under the cosh if Powell opts to play safe with a lone striker.

• Options
    The Bolton fans are ungracious twitterers blogging into cyberspace, and they are wrong. I unreservedly respect Callum's scouting report on Sordell (above), about his weaknesses and his strengths. Wind him up and let him go, up front with Kermorgant. Any thoughts of only one striker, or Obika, or Church, pale in comparison. It was Coulibaly who would have set the whole Championship on fire. Now train and coach Sordell so that he may do the same.
  • Options
    Wow league wrapped up already
  • Options
    Hopefully he will be a loan signing who cares, as he clearly is happy to be down sarf again, and will be looking for a permanent deal next summer, either with us (if we get some more investment) or someone else. Slightly surprised Watford didn't try to buy him back again
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

To be honest he was always going to end up back in london. We don't know the whole truth but all the controversy around his "homesickness", "he's unsettled" & "twitter addiction"(if that is the case) is just pathetic... sounds like a little kid unseperatable from his mummy. Thousands of players come from abroad to England & don't b*tch as much as Sordell. He was looking sharp pre-seasosn & I thought he'd do well this season. My bet is that he'll make the move perm at the end of his loan for a measly fee compared to what we wasted on him. I certainly won't be expecting him back up North at the end of his loan. Panic buy from Coyle at the time & did not pay off. I know he's still our player but part of me will be glad that he's gone, doesn't put the effort in & seems like he has an attitude problem. Now with Beckford, N'gog (injury prone), C.Davies & Eaves... what's people's opinions on our firepower & depth up front?

To be honest I can relate to that. It sounds remarkably like Andy Gray who signed for us on much bigger wages than he was on and then realised, less than a month later, that he was not happy living in the South of England. He lasted eighteen months, played very few games, then went to Barnsley for a sum that was less than a third of what we paid for him.

I would never want to force someone to live where they are not happy, but sometimes it is frustrating when a club loses a lot of money in these circumstances.

To be fair didn't Andy Gray have a pelvis isue that went un diagnosed for a long period of time and his wife had a serious illness? I think under those circumstances you may want to be closer to home .... apologies if I am mixxing him up with someone else
    I could be wrong but I thought his wife was diagnosed with the illness about six months after he arrived, and he was only here a matter of weeks before he had an 'issue'.

Either way I wasn't having a go at the man's character, just that it cost us a fortune because after he signed he (or his wife) was homesick.
  • Options
    are ya all still a whooping and hooping and hollering and a yelling?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Bolton fans are ungracious twitterers blogging into cyberspace, and they are wrong. I unreservedly respect Callum's scouting report on Sordell (above), about his weaknesses and his strengths. Wind him up and let him go, up front with Kermorgant. Any thoughts of only one striker, or Obika, or Church, pale in comparison. It was Coulibaly who would have set the whole Championship on fire. Now train and coach Sordell so that he may do the same.

To be fair he was a big money signing who failed to perform for whatever reason so I can understand the antipathy of some Bolton fans - ask Bournemouth fans about Simon Francis, or Palace fans about Darren Ambrose and compare what they say to most Charlton supporters recollections of them and you'll wonder if we are talking about the same players. If we get him back to how he was when he played for Watford then we will have made one of the best signings in the Championship.

• Options
    edited August 2013

Hopefully he will be a loan signing who cares, as he clearly is happy to be down sarf again, and will be looking for a permanent deal next summer, either with us (if we get some more investment) or someone else. Slightly surprised Watford didn't try to buy him back again

Sordell comes to us with all his skill and talent, and his best optimism and intentions - and they are appreciated by us, here on the terraces. I have this instinctive feeling that he will do well. If it happens that by mid-October we have not won a single game, then as always I reserve my right to jump up and down, wave my arms in the air, and demand that changes be made.

The deification of Chris Powell by some of us Lifers - the making him in to a saint or a god - is something even he himself does not want. Powell made it perfectly clear to us half way through last season that he was embarrassed for us by all those home losses. His speech to the Covered End from the pitch after the last game of the season, choked with emotion and thanking us for our loyalty and patience, is proof again of his lovely integrity and humility.

There are some fans here who have pledged their undying support to Powell, even if we are relegated. Does that blind, quasi-religious loyalty extend to consecutive relegations to the Conference? Powell simply doesn't want us, the fans whom he respects, to be cowed, uninformed, or incurious. He is an intelligent man, loyal, ambitious and passionate - and he himself is the first to be humble to say he is still learning.

He is voluntarily working for his Pro Licence, the highest qualification in the game; most Prem managers don't have this. Why is Powell working to understand the game better? He is doing it for himself, and by extension for us here, Eddie Bloggs on the terraces. If, after ten games, our midfield isn't good enough to send the incisive balls needed by our strikers to beat opposing defenders by guile and cunning, then I'm certain Powell would respect us even more for jumping up and down, and waving our arms at the sky.

• Options

Kap10 said:

I could be wrong but I thought his wife was diagnosed with the illness about six months after he arrived, and he was only here a matter of weeks before he had an 'issue'.

Either way I wasn't having a go at the man's character, just that it cost us a fortune because after he signed he (or his wife) was homesick.
    He was absolute pony for Barnsley as well. My Barnsley mate rates him as one of the worst footballer's he's ever seen. Should never have left Burnley
  • Options
    edited August 2013

So let me get this straight Viewfinder - you want Magic Marvin to 'cause absolute havoc in the pants of the opposing defenders'?!?

My word.

I don't just want our strikers to be effective, AUN, I insist on it. I have watched most of our games, home and away, since 1966. Do you realise there were many games at The Valley last season when at half-time after Barnsley, Burnley etc had flashed those dangerous balls across our six-yard box, I looked at my friend and said in rhetorical amazement: "We haven't had a shot at goal!"

We lost those games, and a catalogue more besides. Something must happen. Make it quick, clever, and dangerous.

• Options
    edited August 2013

To be fair he was a big money signing who failed to perform for whatever reason so I can understand the antipathy of some Bolton fans - ask Bournemouth fans about Simon Francis, or Palace fans about Darren Ambrose and compare what they say to most Charlton supporters recollections of them and you'll wonder if we are talking about the same players. If we get him back to how he was when he played for Watford then we will have made one of the best signings in the Championship.

It is more specific than that, BFR. There were vast periods of the those home games last season when we simply did not know what to do with the ball. It was still 0-0, and we'd get a throw-in on the edge of the opposing box, and there was no movement, no angle, no edge. Tap-tap; shall I take it? Allow me. So it was thrown back to Stephens, who would abrogate responsibility, do a hospital pass to someone else - and it was back to our keeper. He, in turn, kicked it perfectly accurately to Harriott, miles out on the wing - who might control it under the attentions of three Huddersfield defenders. Meanwhile, our midfield was thirty yards away, staring at him. We might get a throw-in, and the whole grisly cycle started again.

We lost all of those games - at home to Barnsley, Millwall, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, Palace, Derby, Watford, and Burnley, et al - and the Cup matches - because of this lack of coaching intelligence, and I'd come out of the ground thinking: Why do we have no intensity? Are we not fit enough?

I don't think so. Apart from Forest, who were simply planets better, it is the guile and cunning that we lack, to beat those ordinary and provincial opponents. We lack the rehearsed and instinctive moves to win games. What on earth happens on the training ground from Monday to Friday?

• Options
    What happened in the Cardiff game where we were getting panned by the best team in the league. Or at Barnsley where the team were scrapping for their lives. Or against the Championship galacticos of Blackburn. Or in a pulsating game against up at Watford on NYD? The thing with Powell is that when things go wrong, he'll try things to put them right. We simply couldn't have a better coach at this level. Anyone that doubts the team is working on strategy and fitness, is deluded. They came up from league one and didn't enjoy the budget afforded to Leeds, Norwich, Brighton and Southampton, but they more than held their own in the league and showed steady improvement. That's a great manager and coach.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    No, no, no 58Mortimerician you mustn't look at the positives, lets all harp back to the indifferent home form last season, have a pop at the coaching staff /training methods and vilify Stephens again especially on a thread that is dedicated to Sordell coming in on a season long loan. Understandable in this muggy weather which makes people restless in the middle of the night with nothing better to do.
  • Options
    Just seen his bird on twitter. Lets just say i hope she comes to watch.
  • Options

Just seen his bird on twitter. Lets just say i hope she comes to watch.

• Options
    All the stick Millwall were giving him about looking like a fish, you would just post that up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bony shoulders.
  • Options
    Have Bolton got a recall on Sordell?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

I think they can come back in Jan, but I am sure its covered in this thread somewhere

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Valley11 said:

I think they can come back in Jan, but I am sure its covered in this thread somewhere

Thanks
  • Options
    I don't know if there is a recall or not but I hope not. If Sordell does very well and or we are a serious rival of Bolton then recalling him could seriously damage our season. Needing to get a replacement in January would be difficult. I assume Millwall are in the same boat with Morrison.
  • Options

I don't know if there is a recall or not but I hope not. If Sordell does very well and or we are a serious rival of Bolton then recalling him could seriously damage our season. Needing to get a replacement in January would be difficult. I assume Millwall are in the same boat with Morrison.

Especially after having watched Beckford in the lunchtime game, awful first touch, I certainly hope we've got the better of the two players.
  • Options
    I think Sordell's motivation was to move back to London, he didn't settle up north not sure they'd consider him back if he has no motivation to return
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bubble said:

I think Sordell's motivation was to move back to London, he didn't settle up north not sure they'd consider him back if he has no motivation to return

Very good point no merit in dragging somebody back up North who doesn't want to be there and therefore in the wrong frame of mind.

Super, super Marv
    Super super Marv
    Super super Marv
    Super Marvin Sordell

COYR!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Bubble said:

Very good point no merit in dragging somebody back up North who doesn't want to be there and therefore in the wrong frame of mind.

Super, super Marv
    Super super Marv
    Super super Marv
    Super Marvin Sordell

COYR!

Determined we'll branch out a bit on player songs this season!

He wears the Charlton red with pride, Sordell Sordell.
    Fifteen years on from Super Clive, Sordell Sordell.
    Hated by the Millwall scum,
    He takes the ball and scores for fun!

Marvin Sordell, Charlton's number 10.

:-)

• Options
    Two top notch songs right there. Hopefully we can get a good airing of them!