Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Run to the beat training how is it going?

edited August 2013 in Not Sports Related
Not sure how many of us gluttons for punishment are doing the run this year but how are the few getting on?
I've managed to revive an old ankle injury which means my training is now swimming a lot, or yomping around the Kent countryside while I wait for my tendons to revert back from concrete to vaguely elastic again.
But I should be fine on the day ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Shocking!!
    Got up to 12 miles some 6 weeks ago and then did my my back at work, been off running for since then and on steroids and anti inflammatory drugs (feel like a proper athletic now) ;)
    Dave Storry is feckin injured as well.............. Could be a long walk.
  • Options
    Touch wood, going well and comparing favourably to my last half 2 years ago when I had considerably more time/energy to train! However, I'm not going to speak too soon as I picked up an ankle knock at 3 weeks to go last time and went into it not having run more than a mile in that time.
  • Options
    So we're not going to be near the front this time ;-) oh well let's just aim to finish before it gets dark ;-)
  • Options
    3blokes said:

So we're not going to be near the front this time ;-) oh well let's just aim to finish before it gets dark on Monday ;-)

• Options
    Pretty badly.

In the last month I've had a week in America with work, a week in Croatia (with the lads) and a stag do in Prague. Will be running to The Valley tonight though.
  • Options
    Yes bring the tent Ray ;-) base camp will be the foot of John Wilson Street on the roundabout :-)
    Well I feel a bit better now hearing all these tales of woe:-) especially as my mate is doing it and is raring to go whilst my ankle has felt like it was about to solidify.
    I am still looking forward to it though :-) there's no helping some people eh ;-)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Pretty badly.

In the last month I've had a week in America with work, a week in Croatia (with the lads) and a stag do in Prague. Will be running to The Valley tonight though.

We are finely tuned Athletes Tom don't let our physiques fool you and we expect the same of all partipants of this fine forum, weeks on the pi55 will not be tolerated. ;)

• Options
    3blokes said:

Yes bring the tent Ray ;-) base camp will be the foot of John Wilson Street on the roundabout :-)
    Well I feel a bit better now hearing all these tales of woe:-) especially as my mate is doing it and is raring to go whilst my ankle has felt like it was about to solidify.
    I am still looking forward to it though :-) there's no helping some people eh ;-)

That's a bit optimistic!
    Remember, they've changed the route and we come from Greenwich park towards Charlton, I'd go for a overnight stop at the Standard. :)

• Options
    T.C.E said:

cafctom said:

Pretty badly.

We are finely tuned Athletes Tom don't let our physiques fool you and we expect the same of all partipants of this fine forum, weeks on the pi55 will not be tolerated. ;)

If you've ever seen me you'll know I'm anything but finely tuned. I'm hoping the upcoming training/event will be a kickstart to something even more though.

I've been told hill running is a good way of building up endurance for things like this. I live next to Greenwich Park which could be handy. Anyone do this sort of thing?
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

3blokes said:

That's a bit optimistic!
    Remember, they've changed the route and we come from Greenwich park towards Charlton, I'd go for a overnight stop at the Standard. :)

Yes the ol route change thank God :-) though I'm concerned as we run down that hill I might not be able to stop which may be where the swimming training will come in handy ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With just a month to go before the run and no training for 5 weeks due to a back injury as promised to DaveStorry I had a go this morning with a 5 mile target, which I did roughly on the hour and a mile walk home> I have 3 weeks to get up to around the 12 mile marker. Its going to be grim but I'm sure we'll do it ;) We are not chasing any Sponsorship as already there is a lot of fund raising going through CL for various worthy charities but the "Upbeats" has turned into a very worthy cause to myself and others, so I'll throw up the link and if anyone does want to contribute I've made it easier ;)
    http://www.justgiving.com/TheCharltonUpbeats
  • Options
    Did a fierce 9 mile yomp today with a 30lb backpack. Completely knackered. I did actually ask a passer by to kill me at one point halfway up a hill but it will all be ok on the day :-)
    Good stuff on the link Ray :-)
  • Options
    A good run out again this morning carrying an Iphone!! absolutely b*ll*xed.
    http://www.facebook.com/ray.bates3
    http://www.justgiving.com/TheCharltonUpbeats

• Options
    Sounds good Ray but easy on the iPhone training :-)
    I did a very brisk 10 mile walk at the weekend without those bloody weights and knocked about 40 minutes off my time! Moral of this - never walk with 30lb tied to your feet ;-)
    Also been swimming did 80 lengths again this morning.Going to get that up to 120 for next week and start some light running.
    I don't how much all this is helping but my ankle is slowly getting a bit better, and I feel generally ok, it is going to be 'interesting' to see how I get on in 3 weeks time.
    But if I collapse in a heap next to you after about 5 miles and someone says to you:
    "Blimey, is that a bloke crawling on the floor?"
    You can say " No it looks more like the breast stroke to me. "
  • Options
    A good run out last sunday for an old bloke (before Plaayer starts) ;) 10 miles on 1hr 50mins and I struggled on to do 14 and a bit.
    With this being the last weekend before the run, should I do another long run this weekend?
    Hows everyone else getting on and anyone received their race number yet?
  • Options
    I wouldn't do another long run to be honest Ray (you have it in the bag already physically and psychologically), just do a few more 7/6/5/4 milers (in that order). Also start loading up on your carbs - doubt that'll be too difficult. ;-)
  • Options
    Well done Ray you sound more than prepared for the challenge ahead :-)
    Moving on to the half man half fish that I seem to have become, things do not appear to be quite so...er... buoyant.
    Still got the o'l ankle niggle but managed a 6 mile hobble this morning followed by 100 lengths of the pool which I think equates to 2500 metres. So I think I might be good for about 10 miles and I may just have to stagger/crawl/catch the bus for the last 3 miles or so.
    But at least i think I should be able to complete it now...eventually. ;-)
    One more big swim and maybe another couple of 5-6 miles of staggering about should be enough for me now. :-)
  • Options
    WSS said:

I wouldn't do another long run to be honest Ray (you have it in the bag already physically and psychologically), just do a few more 7/6/5/4 milers (in that order). Also start loading up on your carbs - doubt that'll be too difficult. ;-)

Oi, hold on a minute. I only run once a week ffs............ so 7/6/5/4 whats it to be? ;)

**Also start loading up on your carbs - doubt that'll be too difficult. ;-) **
    That's a cheap shot!! ;)
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Well done Ray you sound more than prepared for the challenge ahead :-)
    Moving on to the half man half fish that I seem to have become, things do not appear to be quite so...er... buoyant.
    Still got the o'l ankle niggle but managed a 6 mile hobble this morning followed by 100 lengths of the pool which I think equates to 2500 metres. So I think I might be good for about 10 miles and I may just have to stagger/crawl/catch the bus for the last 3 miles or so.
    But at least i think I should be able to complete it now...eventually. ;-)
    One more big swim and maybe another couple of 5-6 miles of staggering about should be enough for me now. :-)

Not really Jon, 10/11 minute miles. I did hillreach on 3 miles last week then down to the river and along to Greenwich park which took me up to 10 miles, then it was intermittent run/walk 4 and a bit miles home. :(

• Options
    Was feeling great about ten days ago, did my longest run in training, 12 miler in 1h38m. Since then the knee/shin pain is back and I've struggled through two sets of 10 miles in 1h27 and 1h22 but feeling pain more or less throughout.

No more proper running for me now until Sunday or if I'm not right, might just have a couple of gentle tester jogs next week, otherwise it's feet up to make sure I can get round.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well all we can do is our best eh ;-) think I'm going to find it hard but to be fair it's a bloody long way :-)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Hows everyone else getting on and anyone received their race number yet?

Mine arrived today. My number is black which apparently means I will finish somewhere between 2hrs and 2.30hrs. ;-)
  • Options
    Mine arrived, I don't think the black represents your time Jon. ;(
    The last sunday before the run went as well as expected when I woke with a hangover and went back to bed, I'll try and get out on Wednesday for 4 or 5 miles but this is going to end in tears. Anybody fancy meeting up at the café (tea hut) on the heath say 1/2 hour before the off for a cooked breakfast let me know. ;)
    Jon, I'll text you.
  • Options
    Think my number indicates which day I'll finish ;-)
    Breakfast sounds interesting I have to hook with my mate first but I'm sure he'll be up for that ;-)
  • Options
    Jesus, you guys are packing in 10+ miles in an hour and a half. I'll be happy with getting to 10km at that point the way my training has been going!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Jesus, you guys are packing in 10+ miles in an hour and a half. I'll be happy with getting to 10km at that point the way my training has been going!

That might have been the case Tom, but the last 3 and a bit are completed on all fours and screaming in agony. Join us we help each other get round. ;)
    3blokes said:

Think my number indicates which day I'll finish ;-)
    Breakfast sounds interesting I have to hook with my mate first but I'm sure he'll be up for that ;-)

A mate?!
    The race rules clearly state "No pace makers) ;)

• Options
    From what I've seen on the site, it looks as though most people manage to get round it in about 2 hours, and quite a few within that. Do you get many do this who are more around the 3/3.5 hour mark? As that's probably what I'm expecting to be in for!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

From what I've seen on the site, it looks as though most people manage to get round it in about 2 hours, and quite a few within that. Do you get many do this who are more around the 3/3.5 hour mark? As that's probably what I'm expecting to be in for!

If the knee pops like it did last Tuesday then I will be being picked up by the sweeper!
  • Options
    2.5/3 is more what I would expect on the day Tom. You'll be surprised how much the occasion helps you through it, don't set off to quickly. We all first done RTTB on CL about 5 years ago and I made the mistake of trying to keep the pace of a few a lot younger/fitter than me and then I struggled in the middle and ended up walking part of it. Set your on pace and ignore everyone else, let them go if you have to walk then walk. If you want to meet up I'll be by the café before the run, we'll sort a time sometime this week. I've been sponsored £100 to run in a German Rescue cap so look out for a fat bloke wearing that.
  • Options
    To be honest I'm going to be happy with anything under 3 hrs this time round. The training has been difficult and I really have no idea how I'm going to do. But I'm up for it, that's the best I can say :-)
    As for the pacemaker, Ray, they said they'll fit it after the race ;-)