Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jordan Cousins

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
After watching him last night for only 8 minutes, to me he looks like a Steven Gerrard type player.

I have not seen enough of him to know what type of player he is but that run forward to win the penalty last night was absolutely superb and something we have lacked from our midfield for some while.

Has anyone seen him play much? And if so what is his usual style?

It was great to see a midfield last night that was not just looking to be solid, rigid and efficient but was instead passing it about and threading through balls that didn't always come off but when they did it worked. We haven't scored goals like that in a very long time as we are always scared to play the killer ball.

Really looking forward to seeing more of Cousins this season.

And wasn't that one of the greatest moments when one from our youth wins the penalty, and another from our youth scored it!

Comments

• Options
    I was extremely disappointed that he only got seven minutes to be honest - When we went 3-0 up after 60mins I thought it would have been a great time to see him introduced but there again Im not the Manager

Completely agree about the penalty though :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    This - referring to dizzee's post.

Plus, he looks a lot taller & bigger than a year ago.

I'm very optimistic.
  • Options
    8minutes and he's Steven Gerrard? OMG

Don't get me wrong I think he had a great few minutes, he's grown since I last saw him, he was good then, he's stronger and bigger now. Last night he made an big impact, but Steven Gerrard!
  • Options
    It's just a comparison to his style of play in no way is dizzee saying he's as good or the next Steven Gerrard.
  • Options
    Think be meant it in the give and go style.
  • Options
    Did well for the little time he was on the pitch. Would like to see him in and around the match day squad this season. Like Pigott, could well be the start of a promising career.
  • Options
    Thought he looked more like Iniesta myself.
  • Options
    Loco said:

Don't get me wrong I think he had a great few minutes, he's grown since I last saw him, he was good then, he's stronger and bigger now. Last night he made an big impact, but Steven Gerrard!

But if he had 10 + minutes he would have won the Ballon D'Or

On a serious note though he did look like a prospect. This is the first time I have seen him, what struck me immediately was his stature, he is a lot taller (passes the test...) than I expected he would be, and I also thought that he would be more of a holding-type player than a box-to-box. It is a shame that he didn't get longer in the game, I thought as well that while we were on top at 3-0 would have been the perfect time to blood him so he would have time to settle into the game while we were all over Oxford.
  • Options
    Jaddick said:

It's just a comparison to his style of play in no way is dizzee saying he's as good or the next Steven Gerrard.

Spot on
  • Options
    Been very highly rated in the academy for many years, glad he's got a bit of first team action under his belt. Like piggott and Harriott, looking forward to seeing them progress
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dizzee

I saw Jordan Cousins at our recent pre season game at Dagenham..to me he looked the best player on the pitch and a boy with potential and real class. With the right coaching and management I would put him up there alongside other prospects from recent years like Minto, Lee, Bowyer and Parker.

How Gower and Hughes got a start last weekend ahead of him is a mystery.
  • Options
    i think in january, stephens will go, probably for about 1m, then cousins will get regular oppurtunities.
    expect this to be the team for next season
    pigott kermorgant
    harriot jackson cousins green
    wiggins dervite morrison solly(he will stay)
    hamer
    i think we need pigott and church to take over the mantle from kermorgant, as good as he is he is 31 now and he isnt getting any younger, dont get me wrong he is top quality but we need to stop resting all our hopes on him. evnetually the buck must stop with someone else. i expect kermo, solly, jackson, wiggins, hamer, green, morrison, cousins and pigott to sign long term deals, i think stephens will go.
  • Options

i think in january, stephens will go, probably for about 1m, then cousins will get regular oppurtunities.
    pigott kermorgant
    hamer
    i think we need pigott and church to take over the mantle from kermorgant, as good as he is he is 31 now and he isnt getting any younger, dont get me wrong he is top quality but we need to stop resting all our hopes on him. evnetually the buck must stop with someone else. i expect kermo, solly, jackson, wiggins, hamer, green, morrison, cousins and pigott to sign long term deals, i think stephens will go.

I'd be amazed if Stephens went for anywhere near £1m. If we were to get even half of that I'd say we've done well. Last year of contract as well.
  • Options
    When I've seen him play as a midfielder it's always been in the holding role. Good to see him show some attacking instinct. As said it's just a shame he didn't come on earlier.

For now I think Powell will "play it safe" and put senior players on the bench ahead of Cousins and Pigott. Saturday he included both Evina and Wilson on the bench with Sordell as the only striker. Can't see him leaving senior players out after one cup game. He didn't even have room for Hollands against Bournemouth.
  • Options
    How long has he got left on his contract?
  • Options

Based on 8 minutes in the league cup v a league 2 side and a PSF?
  • Options
    Very impressed with Piggot, he lacked a goal threat, but apart from that he physically dominated their hard man and their defenders. Think that he would easily be effective in league one or two. His box positioning wasn't quite there so would rather see him playing in league two where his strength will get him chaces from crossing.

Liked what I saw of Cousins. Awful dive for the pen but great run. Would happily see him paired with Hughes or Gower.

For me the two cm's were a great dissapointment. Iliked Stephens on the ball but neither pressed together off the ball and were too far apart often. Neither showed the tenacity needed in cm two.
  • Options

Based on 8 minutes in the league cup v a league 2 side and a PSF?
    No, based on the obvious potential he has showed to date, and the fact that he clearly possesses the 'oomph' that a midfield pairing of Hughes and Gower predictably lacked.

You knew what you were going to get with a midfield pairing of Gower and Hughes...lots of sideways passes and two pairs of very red cheeks by the second half. I doubt Grabban would have brushed aside Jordan Cousins quite so easily as he did Hughes.
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:

Loco said:

But if he had 10 + minutes he would have won the Ballon D'Or

On a serious note though he did look like a prospect. This is the first time I have seen him, what struck me immediately was his stature, he is a lot taller (passes the test...) than I expected he would be, and I also thought that he would be more of a holding-type player than a box-to-box. It is a shame that he didn't get longer in the game, I thought as well that while we were on top at 3-0 would have been the perfect time to blood him so he would have time to settle into the game while we were all over Oxford.
    LOL :)

He did indeed look like a prospect, I cant deny that. I never saw Minto or Lee come through but he certainly looks as good as Bowyer did, I think he made his first team appearance aged 17 though (and got sent off away at Millwall), I could be wrong but I think he was sold aged 18. Lets hope that sort of thing doesn't happen to our current crop.

BTW Joe Piggot had a very good game too.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

When I've seen him play as a midfielder it's always been in the holding role. Good to see him show some attacking instinct. As said it's just a shame he didn't come on earlier.

For now I think Powell will "play it safe" and put senior players on the bench ahead of Cousins and Pigott. Saturday he included both Evina and Wilson on the bench with Sordell as the only striker. Can't see him leaving senior players out after one cup game. He didn't even have room for Hollands against Bournemouth.

I don't think we have that luxury at CM (put senior players in) I think we are in need of some talent there. That'll be to JC's advantage obviously, you know the saying if he's good enough he's old enough! Obviously CP don't see it as I do, that could just be why I'm not a football manager though :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was extremely disappointed that he only got seven minutes to be honest - When we went 3-0 up after 60mins I thought it would have been a great time to see him introduced but there again Im not the Manager

Completely agree about the penalty though :)

I think Powell got it right. Jordan himself said the nerves started creeping in when he came on and he wasn't expecting to play, so Powell put him on in a situation where there was little opportunity for it to go wrong and his confidence to be wrecked. As it was he got enough time to make a memorable impact and not do anything he can look back on and regret. I'm sure now he's got that home debut out of the way Powell will start to throw him in earlier when he can
  • Options
    i reckon, a striker will get injured and pigott will be on the bench. sad that morgan fox hasnt had an oppurtunity yet
  • Options
    Not seen Cousins play yet, but I thought he was a RB/CB................
  • Options
    Pleased for Jordan he was good against the Dagger and Ebbsfleet the other week and seems to have found his role as roaming defensive / attacking midfield...is that a role?
    Worthy of his inclusion in the squad and hope he pushes on Good luck JC
  • Options

Not seen Cousins play yet, but I thought he was a RB/CB................

He is a centre mid as well. Played there against D and R and looked very natural.
  • Options
    His path to the first team would be easier at RB, as we are well stocked up with central midfielders.

pigott kermorgant
    hamer

We'd be lucky to get 100k for Stephens, someone who isn't a regular in our team, in the last year of his contract (that bid from Villa was nowhere near the headline figure). I'd happily let him go back up north for a nominal fee, to free up space for the likes of Cousins and further down the line Poyet
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 8m
    CP on @jordancousins94: "He has discipline in his role, terrific athleticism, is good on the ball and he scores goals!" #PressDay (IL) #cafc
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I know he gave the ball away that led to a Barnsley goal , but if he can play how he did for the rest of the game we could have some player on our hands , he looks like he's filled out / bulked up since i last saw him , seems genuinely pleased to be pulling on the famous red shirt , worked well alongside Mark Gower , enabled him to do his stuff better , which had a overall more positive effect on the team.

The energy this fella has in his legs in terms of getting up and down the pitch is very encouraging , and probably apart from the point against Barnsley , the biggest positive i took away from the Barnsley match, very exciting.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Would like to see him start tomorrow.
  • Options
    Chazza, is this post meant to be for the worst debutant?