Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jordan Cousins

13»

Comments

• Options
    Agreed - a very sound performance in difficult circumstances.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2013
    One lifer I spoke to today said that the contract situation should have no impact on performance. I disagreed.

Short careers, not knowing where you'll be next year, no communication from the top. I'd be thinking about it and the future with my family a lot.
  • Options
    Cousins looked brilliant today. I was impressed. Very composed for a young kid on his first start
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Cousins looked brilliant today. I was impressed. Very composed for a young kid on his first start

Agree with this, Cousins looks a really decent player, comfortable on the ball, keeps it simple and the boy can tackle too!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    WSS said:

One lifer I spoke to today said that the contract situation should have no impact on performance. I disagreed.

Short careers, not knowing where you'll be next year, no communication from the top. I'd be thinking about it and the future with my family a lot.

Agreed.

I think the contract situation has a massive effect on the performance on the pitch. If the owners can't see that then they are mad. Regardless of how much footballers earn or the lifestyle they lead, they still perform better when settled in their job.

The uncertainty shows on the pitch and the team spirit, bond and ethic will disappear, particularly with the results we are having.

I, for one am really concerned about the situation we are in. It could be the catalyst for a poor season.
  • Options
    WSS said:

I think if your a world class player on wages like van Persie etc... then a Contract shouldnt be an issue to form (but then as such a quality player you shouldnt ever get into financial difficulty or you should be picked up by someone else).

If your with a club short on funds / lower League One or with a League Two club then your Contract is gonna be so important to you especially if you've a family etc...
  • Options
    It's funny isn't it. We all crave a quality youth player who is home grown and when we get a good one we panic about him being taken. Oh to be Man U or Chelsea and not have to worry.
  • Options
    Right lets review what we saw today. CP is an admirer of Gower's passing and general ball retention which would improve if he can achieve higher levels of fitness.

My concern is that he plays quite a high % of his passes with a chipped pass to his intended recipient whereas young JC played a high % of his passes along the (water) carpet which were so much easier to control and to move on.

He has a long stride and can get close to an opponent quickly without 'selling' himself as his long stride keeps him balanced. When he passed, he moved and was willingly available to link the continuing move - take a note Dale.

This boy is the real deal and the next on the Jonjo, Jenks conveyor belt to the Prem.
  • Options
    been hearing about jordan for many years. Good to see that he's setting off on the road that was envisioned for him since he was about 14/15.
  • Options
    Uses the time he has instinctively whereas CH will need to be coached how to slow down his own thought processes and decision making! Time is an amazing thing - how often do you have far more time than you think when under extreme pressure?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looked good and calm good display...get JJ along side him and Bingo
  • Options
    I liked his two touch style.
  • Options
    keep him in the side for the rest of the season
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

How tall is Bingo ?

• Options
    WSS said:

I know what your saying but I don't think it enters your mind once you step over the line it was he's full debut he must have wanted to impress.

Thought he looked very assured
  • Options
    If he continues to improve with more games, our problem will be keeping him. Sorry to raise that negative thought, but we have seen it many times before. With the money held by Premiership Clubs, how do you avoid losing your best young players ?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Granpa said:

If he continues to improve with more games, our problem will be keeping him. Sorry to raise that negative thought, but we have seen it many times before. With the money held by Premiership Clubs, how do you avoid losing your best young players ?

Give them the real opportunity of first team football and secure them on a contract. Then every ones a winner when the PL money comes calling.

• Options

Granpa said:

Give them the real opportunity of first team football and secure them on a contract. Then every ones a winner when the PL money comes calling.

Sorry, don't understand this bit : - )
  • Options
    Cousins looked good on Saturday, I wasn't watching closely enough to judge how good his defensive work was, in terms of tracking and marking.

I woudld disagree that JJ and Gower can't play together though because their too old. Our midfield looked much better when JJ and Hughes played together than any other combination of JJ and a younger player
  • Options
    How long is his contract - does it expire end of this season too? Have seen no comments on any of the kids contracts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The club don't mention contract lengths for young pro's outside the first team. He signed a new deal towards the end of last season (see the player registrations section on the FA site), I would imagine it was 1 year, 2 at most.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

The club don't mention contract lengths for young pro's outside the first team. He signed a new deal towards the end of last season (see the player registrations section on the FA site), I would imagine it was 1 year, 2 at most.

Thanks Scoham. Is this a new policy introduced by the new regime or is it FA rules or just the way Charlton have always done it? Pretty sure I remember previous young players new contracts being announced but I am probably going back to the days of Nicolls getting a 4 or 5 year contract!
  • Options
    From what I saw of Jordan at the weekend we should probably hide him until the end of the window. Calm on the ball, got his head up, athletic, tackled well. For someone in only their 2nd professional game he was superb - and that's considering he was surrounded by some shockers.

I remember Nicky Butt's debut and the commentators were literally shooting their load at his performance which was both unspectacular and drab. The same could be said of Ray Parlour's but both were awarded MOM in those games. I'm not saying he'll be at that level but for his age and the stage I thought he looked extremely positive.
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

Agree. Jackson & Cousins and it's all gravy.