Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

And then there was one: Paul Ellison suspended

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Davo55 said:

I can confirm that of the 12 long servers who have left (or are leaving now) in the last 18 months, at least eight left with no alternative work lined up, now including Prettee, one was made redundant but found another job, one had temporary work lined up and two had already secured other jobs before they resigned. Seven of the 12 had been the subject of disciplinary (or similar) processes shortly before they left or were subsequently (PV/SK).

That is extraordinary AB. Without getting into private business, can you elaborate at all? It suggests either a complete breakdown in standards of conduct (unlikely) or an unreasonably harsh approach to perceived breaches. Or does the term "similar processes" incorporate performance management, sick absence management etc. I could understand some increase in performance and sickness related cases if the previous regime had been lax, but this does sound draconian.
    I really only meant that in Steve and Peter's cases the issues were raised after they had left, so it's not strictly accurate to refer to theirs as disciplinary processes, although the substance of their respective disputes are similar to the other cases, perhaps more extreme. To my knowledge there have been no performance issues involved, neither has any of the 12 left on sickness grounds.
  • Options
    I certainly won't be applying for the 1st team Manager role there, despite my suitability.

A change at the top of any organisation, as we experienced 2/3 years ago always results in managerial change. Some people will just leave as it "doesn't feel the same as before", others will try to fight the new regime and get booted and others will fall by the wayside as a result of a new structure.

Football clubs are no different but it all feels a lot more personal when the customers are so close to the product and the employees are known to the customers.

When the employer hasn't got a pot to piss in it is even worse.

• Options
    Good luck Prettee, given the length of service you deserve your own thread. I am told by people that have worked with you that you are going to be an unbelievable miss to the Club your experience knowledge and belief in doing what is right are second to none, good luck with the job hunt, you will be snapped up quickly I am sure.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I certainly won't be applying for the 1st team Manager role there, despite my suitability.

A change at the top of any organisation, as we experienced 2/3 years ago always results in managerial change. Some people will just leave as it "doesn't feel the same as before", others will try to fight the new regime and get booted and others will fall by the wayside as a result of a new structure.

Football clubs are no different but it all feels a lot more personal when the customers are so close to the product and the employees are known to the customers.

When the employer hasn't got a pot to piss in it is even worse.

All of which, mysteriously, began 18 months after the event. Really?
  • Options
    Absolutely astonishing chain of events. The 7 out of 12 being subject to "disciplinary (or similar) processes" is remarkable. I've seen some things in various corporations but never anything on this scale. Correct that many people decide to naturally move on when a new regime takes the helm but for so many to apparently air grievances is bizarre.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Absolutely astonishing chain of events. The 7 out of 12 being subject to "disciplinary (or similar) processes" is remarkable. I've seen some things in various corporations but never anything on this scale. Correct that many people decide to naturally move on when a new regime takes the helm but for so many to apparently air grievances is bizarre.

At a rough calculation, the 12 have 150 years of experience working for the club between them, mostly in senior or very senior positions. That's a much higher percentage of the knowledge within the business than the raw numbers would suggest, given it's only about 20 percent of the non-football staff. I haven't allowed for other departures, where people have been on the staff for fewer than five years. You'd also have to factor in that about half are fans so their knowledge isn't only based on working for the club.
  • Options
    Who is he
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Who is he

Not sure of his title when at Charlton for donkeys years, but believe he was in charge of catering at the very least. I know he is highly thought of.
  • Options

Who is he

Not sure of his title when at Charlton for donkeys years, but believe he was in charge of catering at the very least. I know he is highly thought of.
    I take it you are not a regular of our pies over the years then.
  • Options
    First Varney, then Archer. The "Charltonization" of Ebbsfleet seems to be waning.
  • Options
    I thought PV had left Ebbsfleet on account of poor health. Think he’s ok now though.

Though I may be wrong
  • Options

Who is he

Charlton fan and commercial manager when he left.

Top bloke.

Shame we don't need a general manager or any experienced managers.

Might end up at Millwall due to Steve Kavanagh which would be a real shame.
  • Options
    Top man, great to work with, Charlton through and through.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

‘A friend of the site’ as they say. Dave was very helpful at the time he worked for Charlton and ‘we’ had a normal relationship with the club

Good luck Dave in your next adventure

Actually, apologies I was thinking of Paul Ellison.

I can see Mr Archer never replied to my one email to him in 2010. Im sure he’s a good egg though and still wish him well !
    Perhaps he thought you were a little short with him ?
  • Options
    Nice one
  • Options
    Ebbs lost Varney last year and put an ex player in place to replace him. If they've now lost their general manager that is a lot of experience of running the club that has left in a short while.
  • Options
    Wish Dave all the best in his new role, will be a big loss to Ebbsfleet but I'm sure all will be well!

Women's team has a great guy in charge, well done to Stephen for spotting an opportunity and poaching Arch.
  • Options

Ebbs lost Varney last year and put an ex player in place to replace him. If they've now lost their general manager that is a lot of experience of running the club that has left in a short while.

Sounds familiar but I just cannot recall which team I am thinking of................
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Dave Archer back at Charlton as General Manager of CAFC Women

Delighted.
  • Options
    Bump him up to men’s when this mob go
  • Options
    BDL said:

Wish Dave all the best in his new role, will be a big loss to Ebbsfleet but I'm sure all will be well!

Women's team has a great guy in charge, well done to Stephen for spotting an opportunity and poaching Arch.

Stephen??
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Good news for all concerned - just to be clear, though, the women’s set-up comes under CACT. Unless that changes, he’s not being employed by CAFC, any more than Jason Morgan et al.