Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bournemouth smoke grenade

13»

Comments

• Options

A shame the whole piece is ruined by the subjective assertion that they don't enhance the atmosphere. Er, they do actually.
    No they don't. They just fill it with smoke.
  • Options
    I didn't think it did anything to add to the atmosphere at the time and saw the cops takig his photo so thought he might regret it.

However, I am very surprised that this has gone through court and been resolved in just one month.
  • Options
    The copper who came on our coach at Barnsley said they were having a 'flare amnesty' and a bin was provided. Don't know if any were put in but nothing happened at the game.

Also at Bolton last season the stewards were making a point of searching the women in the same way as the men as it was found that the girls take the flares in and then given them to the blokes once inside.
  • Options
    DRF said:

I didn't think it did anything to add to the atmosphere at the time and saw the cops takig his photo so thought he might regret it.

However, I am very surprised that this has gone through court and been resolved in just one month.

If he pleaded not guilty then it would of taken longer.

Yesterday the cps read the statements, he pleaded guilty, defence spoke on his behalf and he was sentenced. No need for witnesses or any other evidence. Had he pleaded not guilty the cps and defence would have needed time to put their cases together for the magistrate.
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited August 2013

DRF said:

Yesterday the cps read the statements, he pleaded guilty, defence spoke on his behalf and he was sentenced. No need for witnesses or any other evidence. Had he pleaded not guilty the cps and defence would have needed time to put their cases together for the magistrate.
    Erm yes I understand that pleading not guilty means there WOULD HAVE been a court case and guilty means there isn't. I have still seen guilty pleas take several months to get to sentencing.

• Options
    DRF said:

DRF said:

Erm yes I understand that pleading not guilty means WOULD HAVE been a court case and guilty means there isn't. I have still seen guilty pleas take several months to get to sentencing.

Oh. Don't know who you are so i wasn't trying to be patronising. You could be the district judge for all i know. Thats just what the defence said. Pretty open and shut.
  • Options
    Let's face it, he ain't gonna miss much in the next 2 years.......................
  • Options

Let's face it, he ain't gonna miss much in the next 2 years.......................

Yes, there is always the bright side!

• Options

A shame the whole piece is ruined by the subjective assertion that they don't enhance the atmosphere. Er, they do actually.
    dabos said:

No they don't. They just fill it with smoke.
    Two seasons ago: we were already promoted, and champions. The Valley was packed, the atmosphere was joyous, febrile, and delirious. At twenty-to-three, there was a small plane circling high - and suddenly the Red Devils landed and completely filled the stadium with red smoke. My mate next to me said: "That's it - the ref will call the game off due to poor visibility".

The daft lad who chucked a flare on to the pitch at Bournemouth didn't contribute to "atmosphere".

• Options
    Let's be clear, some of these things can be extremely dangerous. Perhaps not so much the smoke generating ones, but the true flares, which are meant for nightime distress signalling at sea and burn powdered metal, usually magnesium, and reach very high temperatures. The parachute flares, which are fired from a hand held tube, are designed to reach a height of about 300 metres and are lethal if used incorrectly. I think it was one of these that was fired after an International at Ninian Park a few years ago. It flew across the pitch and killed a spectator in the stand opposite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    About this "atmosphere" point. As one of the poster mentions above, it's entirely subjective - some people will think it adds to the atmosphere and some people wont. This thread proves that.

Unfortunately all that Government statement does by stating catergorically that it "doesn't add to the atmosphere" is polarise opinion, rather than seek to change or influence opinion. If the fella had said, "some people might think it adds to the atmosphere to them, but it's an annoyance to many others, so we have to take the safety and comfort of ALL fans into account", then I don't suppose too many people would object to a Government man saying that.

Only thats not what he says. Insteas it all comes across a bit "do as I say". Opportunity lost.