Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welling United in the Conference

Comments

• Options
    Went along last night. Not a lot of skill on show but plenty of commitment and good tactical awareness from the Wings. Although Aldershot are second from bottom in the league, in terms of points gained (10 point deduction) they had actually obtained two more then Welling prior to KO. A fact shown by only having conceded 9 goals, the 3rd best defensive record in the Conference.

Agree that Aldershot were poor and were hussled out of their stride by a determined Wings who tired badly in the last ten minutes. Still managed to do better than us at seeing a game out though. In the 5 minutes of added time, the ball was successfully kept in the corner flag for the last 3 minutes. Fair play to the Shots fans though, a fine array of chants which carried on throughout the half time break.
  • Options
    Wings could have had 3 or 4 last night.
  • Options

284 Clem ;0)

What's your opinion on Kurtis Guthrie?

He's a decent player. However, not really sure they know his best position. I've seen him play centre forward, right side of 3 forwards and right wing.

Was sitting next to the Wings dugout and last night and Ashby spent a lot of time coaching him through the game. Switched sides at half time and Ashby was getting very wound up by him - seems he needs a voice to keep him focused.

Could see him benefiting from full time training and perhaps stepping up a level. Definitely something there.

• Options
    Yeah, I agree. He does more defensive work than he probably should and Ashby is on his case so he doesn't switch off. He has the best first touch and engine of any Non League player I've seen.
  • Options

Aldershot took just under 300 last night.

If it was a Saturday game probably would've brought 6-700.....

Absolute no chance they would take 700 away to welling - or anywhere else.
  • Options
    Boom said:

Aldershot took just under 300 last night.

If it was a Saturday game probably would've brought 6-700.....

Absolute no chance they would take 700 away to welling - or anywhere else.
    If they take 300 midweek, no reason why not as they had never played at Welling before.
  • Options
    Aldershot average 2100 for home games and their biggest crowd was 3100 so no reason why they wouldn't take 700 away to a relatively local saturday game at a new ground.

On another note, are Welling completely part time still or do they have any full timers on their books?
  • Options
    think they are completely part time but wouldn't be 100% sure
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    yeah they are classed as PT although i believe they train around 4 times a week at silly times of the day!
  • Options
    big Guth .. Li'l Solimage
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

yeah they are classed as PT although i believe they train around 4 times a week at silly times of the day!

I read pre-season that they train 3 mornings a week.
  • Options

I read pre-season that they train 3 mornings a week.
    Yep, majority train 3 days a week, but their budget is the lowest in the Conference by a distance and a tenth of the Pro clubs in it. The majority are professional nowadays.

• Options
    Great win at Braintree last night, up to 8th now, 2 points off the play offs and only 4 points off 2nd!

With 4 of the top 7 playing each other this weekend, results could see them in a play off spot by saturday night. Come on the Wings!!
  • Options
    they could potentially play Sheff Utd next season!!
  • Options
    Well done Welling, have watched a couple of their home games and they look very hard to beat and have goals in the team.
  • Options
    November is going to be tough, a home match with high flying Nuneaton and away trips to Grimsby, Barnet and Luton.
  • Options
    Terrific result. Braintree would have gone second with a win and the Wings could only put three players on the bench.
  • Options
    Having such a limited squad will be their biggest problem, I reckon.
  • Options
    Edgar Davids turned out at PVR last weekend, who'd of thought it!
  • Options

Having such a limited squad will be their biggest problem, I reckon.

I think this is gonna be a huge problem as I saw from the BBC website they only managed to have 3 substitutes on the bench last night and almost half the team got booked.

Still the sort of season they're having this year they'll be more than fine - Its next season that could be the problem (and whether they can retain Jamie Day or not)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great season for the Wings
  • Options
    Another good win. After the Barnet game on Saturday we were saying that it's good they've got points early on as it will be a long hard season. Played well against Barnet but you could see who the full timers were. Far more physical and considering they played for an hour with 10 men, could have won.
  • Options
    http://www.wellingunited.com/wp/reduced-entry-for-visit-of-tamworth/

With this weekend being an International weekend and Premiership and Championship clubs taking a break.

We are offering reduced admission for Season Ticket holders of any Premiership or Championship Clubs

Adults £12 (1 per ticket on production of a valid season ticket)

Concessions £7 (1 per ticket on production of a valid concession season ticket)

Season Tickets must be produced & ID is required to take up the concession offers
  • Options
    Welling currently winning 1.0, Clarke the scorer.
  • Options
    2.0 Welling lead, Pires on 82 mins.
  • Options
    I'm going along on 2/11 for the Lincoln game.

Do they have segregation at their home games and, if so, how does that work given that everyone goes in through the same turnstiles?

Cheers
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    They have had segregation at the Aldershot and Barnet games. The away fans enter and exit through the Erith & Belvedere turnstiles and are put on that side of the ground. Not every game is like that, just depends on the amount of away fans.

Aldershot brought 300 for a Tuesday night game and Barnet had about 400-500 last weekend. One game that will definitely be segregated and all ticket will be the Luton home game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Cheers.

Any idea on the Lincoln game? I would imagine they will bring a fair few - they took 600 to Barnet a few weeks back.
  • Options
    To be honest I don`t know too much about their away support but would definitely expect them to bring at least 200, possibly more. Have a look on the Welling website a couple of days before the game and they might have some info about segregation.
  • Options
    Cheers mate. Am going with a Lincoln mate of mine, so if it's segregated I'll be in the away "end".