Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells Contract (ed. Rumours of new contract)

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    meldrew66 said:

Cancelling the Bromley Addicks meeting last night 'due to unforeseen circumstances' continues to worry me. Hard to see a good/positive reason for the cancellation as the Press Conference ended mid-afternoon and given that nothing has emerged this morning around contract developments that might have tied Chris up last night. The cynic in me is telling me that Chris is in a difficult place at the moment and felt it best not to have to face awkward questions from the fans. That makes sense to me but, again, does not leave me feeling confident that a contract is anywhere near agreement.

Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is total class and a model to every professional in the game. However, failure to pick up wins soon VERY SOON is likely to have only one outcome.

Some good news at last, guys 'n gals !

Contrary to Victors' worrying supposition, I can confirm that the gaffer is no longer tied up and was running free at SL this morning. Phew !

• Options

meldrew66 said:

Cancelling the Bromley Addicks meeting last night 'due to unforeseen circumstances' continues to worry me. Hard to see a good/positive reason for the cancellation as the Press Conference ended mid-afternoon and given that nothing has emerged this morning around contract developments that might have tied Chris up last night. The cynic in me is telling me that Chris is in a difficult place at the moment and felt it best not to have to face awkward questions from the fans. That makes sense to me but, again, does not leave me feeling confident that a contract is anywhere near agreement.

Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is total class and a model to every professional in the game. However, failure to pick up wins soon VERY SOON is likely to have only one outcome.

Contrary to Victors' worrying supposition, I can confirm that the gaffer is no longer tied up and was running free at SL this morning. Phew !

But was RD sliding along the ground, clinging to his legs screaming 'Don't go Chris, huh!, Don't go, huh' ?

• Options

meldrew66 said:

But was RD sliding along the ground, clinging to his legs screaming 'Don't go Chris, huh!, Don't go, huh' ?

Funny you should say that, charente...........!

• Options
    Thinking about the press conference yesterday, the cancellation of the Bromley meeting etc. and the fact that another very useful potential loanee has unsurprisingly gone elsewhere, I am coming around to the point of view that RD not actually doesn't care if we get relegated, he might even be deluded enough to think that the discount on the price of the club that he will get as a result will represent an overall cost saving in his running of the club (he will have an excuse to slim down operations and replace people at the club with his own, both on and off the pitch). He must be congratulating himself at the cunning masterplan whereby he then also has an excuse to sack CP and bring in his own coach who does exactly what they are told without dissent. I now think that all the talk about CP's contract is a red herring; the contract RD offered CP cannot have been much kop, or he would have signed it straight away.

CP is intelligent enough to realise that he is being set up to take the blame when we get relegated due to a weakened team which is distinctly lacking in certain positions on the pitch. Knowing this, does he walk away from a club he loves and also be seen to be walking away from a professional challenge, or does he battle valiantly against the odds and then get predictably stiffed by RD in the summer as we are all but transformed into Standard Liege's feeder club?

I agree that he must be having a terrible time right now and I for one don't thank RD for doing that to an honourable and decent man - and a capable one too, if given the right backing.
  • Options

If Chris Powell doesn't get offered a new contract. I will not be renewing my season ticket.
    Fed up with us selling our best players. No adequate replacements.
    Have no confidence in this new takeover at the moment.
    We seem to be missing out on loan players (we badly need some in view of the remaining fixtures).
    Only impressed with AA at the moment.

Bloody Hell......You can reach the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90
    What, those greedy gits have got a higher rate 'phone line? No wonder they want to keep you talking on the 'phone.
    You may not top yourself there and then but you will when the bill comes in.
  • Options
    I heard today from some one who is close to chris Powell that he signed a new contract last night.
  • Options
    Red one said:

I heard today from some one who is close to chris Powell that he signed a new contract last night.

Who with?
  • Options
    Red one said:

I hope you're right - and that RD now remembers where he left his cheque book!
  • Options

If Chris Powell doesn't get offered a new contract. I will not be renewing my season ticket.
    We seem to be missing out on loan players (we badly need some in view of the remaining fixtures).

Good we don't need fans like you anyway , same as we don't need fans like on into the valley that aren't renewing if he does sign !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ok, thanks for letting us know.

• Options

meldrew66 said:

SL? Standard Liege? ;-)
  • Options
    All posts on this thread from 2.33 pm today are hilarious, thanks Guys, made my day.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

All posts on this thread from 2.33 pm today are hilarious, thanks Guys, made my day.

Explain mate ?
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

Does that include this one?
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Jayajosh said:

Explain mate ?
    Well not exactly all, sorry my fault. I've LOL'd the ones I find hilarious. Not meant to be sarcastic, but have laughed at most of them.
  • Options
    Yeah in what way people who love Powell or people that don't ? Just wondering that's all
  • Options
    Red one said:

Yeah i heard he'd switched from O2 to EE.

• Options
    Im_Jordans_Cousin said:
    » show previous quotes
    Bloody Hell......You can reach the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90

Tried to get through but they told me Yann897 and many other
    Charlton lifers had already rang. Good news about Tudgay,
    probably now renewing my ticket!
  • Options
    All the praise being heaped on Sir Chris the legend, our saviour and fantastic manager from comments above. So why with his contrac running out soon have Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Hartlepool not been begging him to become their new manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any chance the meeting was cancelled due to a meeting with a certain Tudgay instead?

My guess is that the contract has been signed and will be announced at approximately 2.45pm tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Amazing how you know precisely every evil move Panto Villain RD will make, including his thoughts, emotions and twisted motives.

Cut to thoroughly descent good guy CP, innocent of any involvement in the teams dire performance so far this season (which turns out retrospectively to have been all RD's doing all along!) not being offered an open ended contract.

You will be sure to keep us all updated with Roland's thoughts and evil motives as and before they occur won't you?

Out of interest did this come to you in a dream?

Thinking about the press conference yesterday, the cancellation of the Bromley meeting etc. and the fact that another very useful potential loanee has unsurprisingly gone elsewhere, I am coming around to the point of view that RD not actually doesn't care if we get relegated, he might even be deluded enough to think that the discount on the price of the club that he will get as a result will represent an overall cost saving in his running of the club (he will have an excuse to slim down operations and replace people at the club with his own, both on and off the pitch). He must be congratulating himself at the cunning masterplan whereby he then also has an excuse to sack CP and bring in his own coach who does exactly what they are told without dissent. I now think that all the talk about CP's contract is a red herring; the contract RD offered CP cannot have been much kop, or he would have signed it straight away.

CP is intelligent enough to realise that he is being set up to take the blame when we get relegated due to a weakened team which is distinctly lacking in certain positions on the pitch. Knowing this, does he walk away from a club he loves and also be seen to be walking away from a professional challenge, or does he battle valiantly against the odds and then get predictably stiffed by RD in the summer as we are all but transformed into Standard Liege's feeder club?

I agree that he must be having a terrible time right now and I for one don't thank RD for doing that to an honourable and decent man - and a capable one too, if given the right backing.

• Options
    I think any new offer to CP will be on reduced terms - making it easier to walk away - trouble is, it's human nature to let bad feelings show so, in my opinion, it will filter down to the team... It can only end badly.
  • Options
    My own understanding of the European style of contracts opposed to British is that while the starting wage is lower, there are higher/better clauses or incentives for meeting certain criteria or results - hence in real terms, reduced terms initially. And of course, if CP feels undermined or restricted he will understandably question whether he can/will realistically trigger said clauses.

That said, I don't think RD is going to deliberately offer CP a shit contract as a part of a Machiavellian scheme to force him out. He will offer terms that he personally believes to be fair, as I think he did with Yann. Of course, as with Yann there is the possibility that if CP does not agree, he will walk and we will be hard pressed to find a manager who would bring in similar results with the same restrictions. RD seems fond of a bit of brinkmanship, which has positives and negatives to my mind.
  • Options
    The complications, if there are any, could be about all three, Chris, Damian and Alex all being combined in any new arrangement.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yann897 said:

Yann897 said:

A generous new contract of say 3 years but with the unilateral right to terminate in the event of relegation this season is the most sensible way forward for the club in my view.

I can't see why CP would sign such a contract, to be honest. We're in this position because the squad is inadequate, why should he be punished for that?
    Nothing to do with he's tactics , subs or what he does on the training ground then ?
    are you daring to criticise SCP? Naughty, naughty. You should know by now that most on here are not concerned with such trivial matters as tactics, formation, subs etc etc as long as their manager is a great person.

True , sorry won't happen again .

>
  • Options
    So what was the outcome of the CP/RD meetings? He still ain't signed....
  • Options
    I doubt he'll get a new contract. At the weekend Powell said he will fight to stay here, that doesn't sound like someone about to sign a new contract