Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Utd & their new Saudi Investors

Comments

• Options
    This is the last paragraph of the blog :

If the club is not being offered at a realistic price, and it has to be emphasised that these claims are not verifiable, then one would have to ask why not. As one fan remarked to me, 'It doesn't add up.' I don't have an answer and perhaps we shall all be pleasantly surprised by an announcement of new investment.
  • Options
    I find it a bit strange that he only bought 50% of the club tbh.
  • Options
    This is the story from The Times. The telling thing is that he bought 50% of the club for £1 after McCabe wrote off the debt that the Club owed him. All money invested going forward therefore goes into the Club itself. Can't see that ever being a possible deal with us, as our guys will want at least a return on their investment - and I don't necessarily blame them for that.

If all true, could be fantastic for the Blades, but we've seen a few of these end up in tears across the leagues. Only time will tell...

Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the new co-owner of Sheffield United, said he turned down the chance to invest in three Championship clubs.
    The Saudi industrialist, who bought a 50 per cent stake in United from Kevin McCabe, the club’s former outright owner, said he looked at investing in Leeds United, Charlton Athletic and Derby County.

Prince Abdullah paid £1 for his share, with a pledge to invest an undisclosed amount to help them get back into the Premier League.

The transaction also saw McCabe write off debt the club was owed to him, to make the deal more attractive.

“I looked at Leeds United, Charlton Athletic and Derby County,” Prince Abdullah said. “What appealed to me was the club were debt-free. I wouldn’t say Leeds’s situation was a mess, but it was not straightforward.”

“All the money I put in goes to the club. We’re not going to make any money if we don’t get promoted. We all have one goal.”

Prince Abdullah refuted reports he is worth £18 billion. He said: “I wish. If I was worth that much, I’d have bought the (San Francisco) 49ers. I have read that I am worth £18 billion, which way off. Even if my family is worth £18 billion, that is not my money. I made my own money.” The Prince’s personal worth is more likely to be around £130 million.

He was due to attend this afternoon’s South Yorkshire derby against Rotherham United at the New York Stadium and pledged to support David Weir, the United manager.

Prince Abdullah said: “The team has been performing well but has had problems scoring. “I’ve been watching football for years and, until a few years ago, played twice a week. All I did growing up was play football. I know the game. I think we have had a horrible start. Four points out of five games is not going to get you anywhere.

“The team needs to improve and it needs to improve quickly. Whatever David and the team needs, we have to do. We need to start winning. Good performances are not going to take you anywhere. You are what your record says you are.

“We need to improve. I trust David but we have to give him the tools, because league one is very competitive. We’re not going to get promoted unless there is major improvement.”
  • Options
    As you say the 50% is strange, but assume that he is now going to fund some loans?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

This is the story from The Times. The telling thing is that he bought 50% of the club for £1 after McCabe wrote off the debt that the Club owed him. All money invested going forward therefore goes into the Club itself. Can't see that ever being a possible deal with us, as our guys will want at least a return on their investment - and I don't necessarily blame them for that.

If all true, could be fantastic for the Blades, but we've seen a few of these end up in tears across the leagues. Only time will tell...

Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the new co-owner of Sheffield United, said he turned down the chance to invest in three Championship clubs.
    The Saudi industrialist, who bought a 50 per cent stake in United from Kevin McCabe, the club’s former outright owner, said he looked at investing in Leeds United, Charlton Athletic and Derby County.

Prince Abdullah paid £1 for his share, with a pledge to invest an undisclosed amount to help them get back into the Premier League.

The transaction also saw McCabe write off debt the club was owed to him, to make the deal more attractive.

“I looked at Leeds United, Charlton Athletic and Derby County,” Prince Abdullah said. “What appealed to me was the club were debt-free. I wouldn’t say Leeds’s situation was a mess, but it was not straightforward.”

“All the money I put in goes to the club. We’re not going to make any money if we don’t get promoted. We all have one goal.”

Prince Abdullah refuted reports he is worth £18 billion. He said: “I wish. If I was worth that much, I’d have bought the (San Francisco) 49ers. I have read that I am worth £18 billion, which way off. Even if my family is worth £18 billion, that is not my money. I made my own money.” The Prince’s personal worth is more likely to be around £130 million.

He was due to attend this afternoon’s South Yorkshire derby against Rotherham United at the New York Stadium and pledged to support David Weir, the United manager.

Prince Abdullah said: “The team has been performing well but has had problems scoring. “I’ve been watching football for years and, until a few years ago, played twice a week. All I did growing up was play football. I know the game. I think we have had a horrible start. Four points out of five games is not going to get you anywhere.

“The team needs to improve and it needs to improve quickly. Whatever David and the team needs, we have to do. We need to start winning. Good performances are not going to take you anywhere. You are what your record says you are.

“We need to improve. I trust David but we have to give him the tools, because league one is very competitive. We’re not going to get promoted unless there is major improvement.”

Does Prince Abdullah really talk like that? Sounds like a bloke you'd like to go for a beer with. Starting to think we missed out there.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    He was never going to get CAFC on the same terms because we are one division higher and we have the deferred creditors from before the new owners took over.
    What I am saying is that he would have add to pay a premium for the League 1 promotion already achieved.
    But were CAFC asking too much? And what is the price that will seal a deal for some/ all of CAFC.
    Perhaps the fans don't care, but as long as the owners are prepared to meet the losses then they will ask what they want and will take the club forwards in the way they choose.
    I have always stated that the quickest way to add value is to get back to the Premier League but who knows what that might cost ???
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Does Prince Abdullah really talk like that? Sounds like a bloke you'd like to go for a beer with. Starting to think we missed out there.
    No, but his interpreter does!

; )
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

I was thinking the same, actually sounds like a decent bloke. He might not have a beer with you though !
  • Options
    The thing that shocked me most on this thread was OP mis-spelling Sheffield.......................
  • Options
    se9addick said:

TelMc32 said:

I was thinking the same, actually sounds like a decent bloke. He might not have a beer with you though !
    :-)

And Big Rob is probably right anyway.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who wrote the times article?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Who wrote the times article?

James McMath. Had a quick look...he seems to cover football in the north for them.
  • Options
    IF the Prince is only worth £130M, maybe we are better off with KC who apparently is worth considerably more???
  • Options

IF the Prince is only worth £130M, maybe we are better off with KC who apparently is worth considerably more???

With or without his Sunshine Band, HA ?

• Options
    That's the way..........
  • Options
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    I personally think he went to the pigs because it cost him a quid, Leeds, Derby and yourselves would of been a large amount of money for him just to open a door.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8231934.stm

https://audioboo.fm/boos/1587545-prince-abdullah-on-his-investment-in-sheffield-united#t=11m19s

I'm not sure about him, you could of dodged a bullet then again who knows it seems like ot luck these days, IMO QPR will be the next Portsmouth.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I personally think he went to the pigs because it cost him a quid, Leeds, Derby and yourselves would of been a large amount of money for him just to open a door.

https://audioboo.fm/boos/1587545-prince-abdullah-on-his-investment-in-sheffield-united#t=11m19s

I'm not sure about him, you could of dodged a bullet then again who knows it seems like ot luck these days, IMO QPR will be the next Portsmouth.

I think you'll both be in the same league next year.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

I think you'll be both be in the same league next year.
    Well I think we'll be two leagues apart myself.
  • Options
    What difference does it make if something costs 1 quid or 40 million odd quid if you've got a zillion in the bank? Maybe he chose Sheffield United because the blades on their badge are more acceptable to an Arab:

'The normal flag cannot be hoisted vertically according to Saudi legislation. Special vertical flags are manufactured where both the inscription (the creed) and the emblem (the sword) are rotated, although this is rare as most Arab countries lack the tradition of hoisting flags vertically'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He says it here at their press conference, if any one wants to see it. It's at the 6.30 mark, it you want to skip a load of old waffle and the bit where he's given a box of eating irons.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheffield-united/blades-video-premiership-in-five-years-vows-prince-1-6027371
  • Options
    So it could just be a fanciful dream of making the city where 'football began' into a top club.
  • Options
    Then again I might be right with my first idea. Check out the video at 05.24 and tell me that you don't find the similarity between the two badges unerring.
  • Options
    If that's the case, we can perhaps look forward to him snapping up Chengdu Blades as well.
  • Options
    Lost me when he started talking about a profit and his belief that they will break even in the Championship. LOL
  • Options
    So is this the bloke that Paul Ince was referring to regarding a takeover?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Implied confirmation - if any were needed - that our financial situation is a mess.

• Options
    or what appealed was buying 50% of a club for £1 rather than spending £20M??
  • Options

or what appealed was buying 50% of a club for £1 rather than spending £20M??

This.

• Options
    Why didn't he spend £2 and buy the whole club?
    Tight git