Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Proper Pubs

Comments

• Options

Robin Hood and Little John - Bexleyheath

This again
  • Options
    Pelton Arms was my local for a couple of years (when the Collins had it), been lucky with proper locals - Volunteer in Bexleyheath, one in Albert Rd, Bexley Village - Grey Horse, Sunbury. Pineapple in Lambeth
  • Options

It's a shame Wetherspoon's fall so far short of Orwell's ideal. In Greenwich, try the Richard the First (Young's) on Royal Hill.

A Youngs managed pub yes but sadly not Youngs beer. Youngs beer died in 2006. RIP
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Off_it said:

The Lamb - Lamb's Conduit Street.

Another shout out for the Lord Clyde.

Would also add the Thornbury Castle, near Marylebone. Not the greatest boozer you'll find, but a quality landlord/landlady combo (he's a big bloke, doesn't say a lot, she's all outgoing, buxom and fruity) and they do a mean sausage chips and beans which sorts out any hangover.

I used to go to the Lamb all the time, excellent pub.
    Was there yesterday: first time for 20 years and it hasn't changed.
  • Options
    The Lamb is a proper boozer. Shame about The Sun which used to be further down the road,used to go there 1985-1988 my favourite pub of all time. Over 100 beers on rotation,great ambience always a difficult trip home after though .....
  • Options
    The Peacock in Chesterfield
  • Options
    My local in Snodland is a proper pub, or an "old man's pub", as it is called!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

At the end of the day, as long as they don't sell real ale and have fat bearded blokes sat at the end of the bar, giving me funny looks for shouting up a pint of Stella, they're good boozers in my book

Redskin said:

At the end of the day,as long as they don't sell Stella and have fat, shaven-headed blokes sat at the end of the bar giving me funny looks for shouting up a pint of real ale,they're good boozers in my book. ;-]

At the end of the day as long as they sell decent real ale to fat shaven headed blokes who can sit at the bar giving everybody else funny looks, they are good boozers in my book.
  • Options
    The vic, The fox and POW all Nuxley village, mentioned already the bull shooters hill and the old mill Plumstead common, all great boozers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Artillery Arms, not far from Old Street station and right next to the entrance of Bunhill Row cemetery where such luminaries as William Blake, John Bunyan and Daniel Defoe is buried is a wonderful old traditional London pub. Not forgetting the unique Jerusalem Tavern just up the road in Clerkenwell.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

The Artillery Arms, not far from Old Street station and right next to the entrance of Bunhill Row cemetery where such luminaries as William Blake, John Bunyan and Daniel Defoe is buried is a wonderful old traditional London pub. Not forgetting the unique Jerusalem Tavern just up the road in Clerkenwell.

The Artillery Arms, blimey !

Used to work solo night shifts for Reuters in Tabernacle Street. Meant a walk through the grave yard and across City Rd to work.

Nice pub that (25 years since last visit though...)
  • Options

The Artillery Arms, blimey !

Used to work solo night shifts for Reuters in Tabernacle Street. Meant a walk through the grave yard and across City Rd to work.

Nice pub that (25 years since last visit though...)
    Great boozer soapy - it's still retained many of its traditional features. You used to be able to buy snuff from behind the bar. Great Fuller's ale as well.

• Options
    The Olde Cheshire Cheese in Fleet St and the Cittie of York on High Holborn are both excellent grade 2 listed pubs with Sam Smith's at 2.90 a pint. I'd also recommend the Jerusalem Tavern near Farringdon - great old pub and St Peter's Ale
  • Options
    Blucher said:

The Olde Cheshire Cheese in Fleet St and the Cittie of York on High Holborn are both excellent grade 2 listed pubs with Sam Smith's at 2.90 a pint. I'd also recommend the Jerusalem Tavern near Farringdon - great old pub and St Peter's Ale

The Jerusalem Tavern has only been a pub since the 90's.
  • Options
    the pub we went for Fat Robs stag do that had the ska band in was the best boozer I have been in for years total quality old school land lady, and great bar staff plus it was as tolerant a boozer as I have been in
  • Options
    The Hufflers mate, by my cousins business yep proper old school
  • Options
    Badger said:

Plume of Feathers in Greenwich is a good pub.

Used to live very close to this. Not cheap but decent.

The Vanburgh is pretty good too.

• Options
    jamescafc said:

Badger said:

Plume of Feathers in Greenwich is a good pub.

Used to live very close to this. Not cheap but decent.

The Vanburgh is pretty good too.

We use to go Vanburgh to pull try and the nurses!
  • Options
    Thats the place the hufflers anyone who lives near it go to it top top pub
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lamb & flag (nr covent garden)

Ye grapes (Mayfair area)

Both sell good ales, proper old fashioned pubs.
  • Options
    Very smart Rob. Maybe a bit too Gallic but an improvement. The new kidney is obviously working wonders.
  • Options
    I have to confess that I have drunk in about 75 per cent of the pubs nominated on this thread. The Olde Cheshire Cheese off Fleet Street, Cittie of York and Lamb in Holborn, Lamb & Flag in Covent Garden, the Calthorpe Arms in Grays Inn Road, Lord Clyde and Royal Oak in Borough, the George at Crossharbour - excellent boozers, all of them. Closer to our home turf, try the Dog & Bell, in a back street near the river at Deptford - a traditional gig with civilised punters, good ales well kept, hearty lunches, a bar billiards table, and a bit of racing on the telly. Now, who's in the chair?
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I have to confess that I have drunk in about 75 per cent of the pubs nominated on this thread. The Olde Cheshire Cheese off Fleet Street, Cittie of York and Lamb in Holborn, Lamb & Flag in Covent Garden, the Calthorpe Arms in Grays Inn Road, Lord Clyde and Royal Oak in Borough, the George at Crossharbour - excellent boozers, all of them. Closer to our home turf, try the Dog & Bell, in a back street near the river at Deptford - a traditional gig with civilised punters, good ales well kept, hearty lunches, a bar billiards table, and a bit of racing on the telly. Now, who's in the chair?

Is the Dog And Bell the one that you gotta bend over to get through a little square hole thing to get to the other bar? Use to take an old flame there all the time if it's the same place, gotta be very careful though, proper bandit country over there!
  • Options
    ......sorry ignore that, it's called The Angel and us in Bermondsea Wall East...

I'd like to nominate this boozer please as it sells real ale for the weirdos and also some nice lagers too, I remember the Pills was rocket fuel. Also, the lucky lady I was courting at the time drank vodka, lime and soda, and that's what you got, vodka poured into a measure (double), soda and fresh half if lime, none of your cordial rubbish. Use to like going there cause the lady in question was a game old girl and I was pretty much guaranteed after the second vodka, lime and soda......

So The Angel is my last nomination for proper boozer award...

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Going for the Nick Wooster look....

Okay, okay I'll eat meat again, just please don't kill me ;o) @BIG_ROB
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Is the Dog And Bell the one that you gotta bend over to get through a little square hole thing to get to the other bar? Use to take an old flame there all the time if it's the same place, gotta be very careful though, proper bandit country over there!
    I don't remember the bar of the Dog & Bell being separated like that, though it possibly was, before my time. There are still those low service doorways where you have to stoop at the Prince Alfred, in Maida Vale, and the Windsor Castle, in Kensington.

• Options
    Looks like a goodun that an all
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Going for the Nick Wooster look....

Okay, okay I'll eat meat again, just please don't kill me ;o) @BIG_ROB
    Pmsl