Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Proper Pubs

124»

Comments

• Sad thing about York is the loss of some decent pubs, city centre is all shitty high gloss places with stupid prices. If anyone's visiting though try The Maltings on Lendal Bridge or go for a pint at Ye Olde Starre Inn. Old White Swan, The Royal Oak and Cross Keys down Goodramgate are good shouts too.
  • Heard good things about York, was meant to visit a couple of years back when me mate was playing against them for G&N, but couldn't go last minute. Loadsa skirt too eh AUN pal?
  • Sad thing about York is the loss of some decent pubs, city centre is all shitty high gloss places with stupid prices. If anyone's visiting though try The Maltings on Lendal Bridge or go for a pint at Ye Olde Starre Inn. Old White Swan, The Royal Oak and Cross Keys down Goodramgate are good shouts too.

AUN - Like Big Rob, I too have heard good things about drinking in York. The Camra guide to Yorkshire's heritage pubs lists the following in the city centre: Black Swan, Blue Bell, Golden Ball, Lighthorseman, Masons Arms, Minster Inn, Old Starre Inn, Phoenix, Rose & Crown, Royal Oak, Swan, Wellington, and York Arms. Out of the centre a bit, also with historic interiors, are the Fox and the Magnet. Sounds like a great crawl.

• BIG_ROB said:

......sorry ignore that, it's called The Angel and us in Bermondsea Wall East...

I'd like to nominate this boozer please as it sells real ale for the weirdos and also some nice lagers too, I remember the Pills was rocket fuel. Also, the lucky lady I was courting at the time drank vodka, lime and soda, and that's what you got, vodka poured into a measure (double), soda and fresh half if lime, none of your cordial rubbish. Use to like going there cause the lady in question was a game old girl and I was pretty much guaranteed after the second vodka, lime and soda......

So The Angel is my last nomination for proper boozer award...

The Angel was a good pub, used to love Samsons in Grange Road in my younger days but the best pub around there was The Ship York at the bottom of Rotherhithe Street.

Used to live around the corner and would go in The Ship And Whale but never without my wife.

• mickc said:

BIG_ROB said:

......sorry ignore that, it's called The Angel and us in Bermondsea Wall East...

I'd like to nominate this boozer please as it sells real ale for the weirdos and also some nice lagers too, I remember the Pills was rocket fuel. Also, the lucky lady I was courting at the time drank vodka, lime and soda, and that's what you got, vodka poured into a measure (double), soda and fresh half if lime, none of your cordial rubbish. Use to like going there cause the lady in question was a game old girl and I was pretty much guaranteed after the second vodka, lime and soda......

So The Angel is my last nomination for proper boozer award...

The Angel was a good pub, used to love Samsons in Grange Road in my younger days but the best pub around there was The Ship York at the bottom of Rotherhithe Street.

Used to live around the corner and would go in The Ship And Whale but never without my wife.

Yeah, always sat facing the door in that place
  • BIG_ROB said:

Heard good things about York, was meant to visit a couple of years back when me mate was playing against them for G&N, but couldn't go last minute. Loadsa skirt too eh AUN pal?

Lots of skirt in York Rob, to quite a high standard for the North. Having said that it's a University city so that adds to the mix. Add in the hen party girls and visitors for York races and it's bingo.

Shame I've got my missus really ;o)
  • @Viewfinder indeed, York is a city where you'll have no trouble finding a watering hole to your taste. Going on an all day session on October 5th so no doubt I'll sample a few different places.
  • Off_it Member
    September 7
    Blucher said:
    The Olde Cheshire Cheese in Fleet St and the Cittie of York on High Holborn are both excellent grade 2 listed pubs with Sam Smith's at 2.90 a pint. I'd also recommend the Jerusalem Tavern near Farringdon - great old pub and St Peter's Ale

The Jerusalem Tavern has only been a pub since the 90's.

I stand corrected ( shows how easily I'm duped ). In that case, The Jerusalem Tavern has a great old(ish) shopfront. Still worth a visit though.
  • Blucher said:

Off_it Member
    September 7
    Blucher said:
    The Olde Cheshire Cheese in Fleet St and the Cittie of York on High Holborn are both excellent grade 2 listed pubs with Sam Smith's at 2.90 a pint. I'd also recommend the Jerusalem Tavern near Farringdon - great old pub and St Peter's Ale

I stand corrected ( shows how easily I'm duped ). In that case, The Jerusalem Tavern has a great old(ish) shopfront. Still worth a visit though.

Cittie of York is a lovely boozer, almost church-like. Dartboard tucked away at the very end as well, which gets a bonus point from me.
  • i used to go to samsons in grange road. did they have carpet sort of stuff on the walls
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit off subject
    But just spent a week at New Romney
    All the great pubs closed boarded up
    Probally nine out of 10 closed up since last visit brought a tear to the eye!
    Some great old fashioned real pubs closed ,went to visit the station at appledore boarded up such a shame.
  • Blucher said:

Off_it said:

Blucher said:

The building housing the Jerusalem was a coffee-house in the early 19th century. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, off Fleet Street, was built in 1667 and some of the panelling in the front bar (on the right as you go in) is reputed to be original. Another fine City pub is Ye Olde Mitre, in Ely Court, an alley just off Hatton Garden: see the cosy panelled back room, with good carved furniture. And don't forget the Black Friar, on the north side of Blackfriars Bridge: an art nouveau extravaganza of 1904 with exquisite tiling, terracotta, marble, and copper friezes of jolly friars.

• Bit off subject
    Some great old fashioned real pubs closed ,went to visit the station at appledore boarded up such a shame.

Very sad but the Micropub movement is making big inroads in Kent, won't be long before one opens in that area.
  • Bit off subject

Shame to hear that so many have closed in that area. But the Red Lion at Snargate is still open - a mile south-east of Appledore station on the road to New Romney. It's a simple country place with good ale and Kentish cider; Doris Jemison has been behind the bar for 62 years and licensee for 27 of them. Last time I was there a couple of years ago she gave me a peach the size of a cricket ball from her tree in the garden.

• Another vote for the Red Lion in Snargate. Not been for a few years, but was like stepping back into another era - great pub!
  • edited September 2013
    boggzy said:

Another vote for the Red Lion in Snargate. Not been for a few years, but was like stepping back into another era - great pub!

Good to hear you like Doris's too. The Red Lion has been in her family for 102 years; she's a bit mutt & jeff now, and daughter Kate helps behind the bar. For the uninitiated, there are no distractions from good conversation and the excellent ale and cider, apart from WWII memorabilia on the walls (Romney Marsh was militarily strategic during the War) and the traditional game of toad-in-the-hole in the side room. The only other remaining time-warped pub in Kent is the Queen's Arms at Cowden Pound, south of Edenbridge, up in the Weald. Does anyone else here remember the Mounted Rifleman at Luddenham, near Faversham, closed about 15 years ago?: it was an isolated house in the orchards where Bob would fetch the Fremlin's from a cask in the cellar.

• Not sure about Sam Smith's pubs. Lovely buildings but the beer is nowhere near good enough, no matter what the price is.
  • Vincenzo said:

Not sure about Sam Smith's pubs. Lovely buildings but the beer is nowhere near good enough, no matter what the price is.

Agree - it's a distinctive taste, too malty and cloying for me; I prefer beers that are hoppier and more refreshing. Sam Smith's are an unusual company, very insular: they don't sell other brewers' products in their pubs, not even Guinness. But they are extraordinarily cheap - a mate of mine had a pint of Sam Smith's mild in the White Horse in Beverley recently: £1.36.

• Bit off subject

Fairly close :-

http://www.shepherdandcrook.co.uk/
  • Vincenzo said:

Not sure about Sam Smith's pubs. Lovely buildings but the beer is nowhere near good enough, no matter what the price is.

Agree - it's a distinctive taste, too malty and cloying for me; I prefer beers that are hoppier and more refreshing. Sam Smith's are an unusual company, very insular: they don't sell other brewers' products in their pubs, not even Guinness. But they are extraordinarily cheap - a mate of mine had a pint of Sam Smith's mild in the White Horse in Beverley recently: £1.36.

Is that pub in Beverley the one with the two old dears in their nineties that were there for donkeys years?

I went there back in the Dark Ages.
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

Vincenzo said:

Is that pub in Beverley the one with the two old dears in their nineties that were there for donkeys years?

I went there back in the Dark Ages.
    You've got it - known locally as Nellie's. Nellie Collinson was the long-standing and redoubtable landlady until the 1970s. The pub is still lit by gas.