Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever influenced a game ?

Comments

• Options
    Don’t know if true, but was told that after a match day police officer asked certain people about potential trouble if a well known east end Glasgow club played a pre season friendly at the Valley (early to mid 2000’s) that it was called off on police advice, could be BS, but I remember the police asking questions at the time 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Flown paper aeroplanes onto the pitch, threw a club shop catalogue when Steve Brown was sent off for that hand ball. Threw the odd taxi/pig on the pitch when weak throws didn't get them all the way there from others. 

Nothing more sadly. 

• Options
    I was in Sloane Sq on Sunday when the Liverpool coach (and the Liverpool corporate hospitality coach ffs) drove past.  Liverpool won 2-0.  My Liverpool-supporting mate nows wants me to be in a suitable position to see the coach for all subsequent away games so he must believe I influenced the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Has anyone gone back and read the first post in this thread......it goes back a few haircuts to 2007.
    It’s a classic.😂🤣😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I bumped into Jacko before an away game at Norwich. 
    I just said - “make em ave it Jacko”
    He just replied “I will mate”

The rest is a matter of match stat history. 
    Can’t remember when it was though. 
  • Options
    Has anyone gone back and read the first post in this thread......it goes back a few haircuts to 2007.
    It’s a classic.😂🤣😂
    You had flowing locks back then mate?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I bumped into Jacko before an away game at Norwich. 
    I just said - “make em ave it Jacko”
    He just replied “I will mate”

The rest is a matter of match stat history. 
    Can’t remember when it was though. 
     I’m gonna say about 3 hours or so before kick off?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Not sure I even influenced a Sunday league game I played in...
    In my final season of 11 a-side I influenced the game in good and bad ways.

We were playing a side that were pretty cack, but we were the support players, five of the better players had been on a night out the night before and the manager refused to play them. They all sulked and went home before kick off. 

We conceded an early goal, then on about half an hour I scored from a cross. It wasn't clean or tidy but it flew in through the keepers flailing hands. Half time it was 1-1. Second seemed to be going better, then around 70 minutes they scored a beautiful goal. Worked out from defence, switched sides a couple of times, then a perfect cross. 

Straight from the kick off myself and the other forward played a couple of obvous 1-2's and I played him in, he struck a shot and the keeper saved well. It fell to me on the edge of the 18 and I belted it. All power I had no idea if it would be on target as I hit it. It went low and bounced up off a bobble into the top corner. Clearly not what I intended, but a goal is a goal. 

On the next kick off they tried to lob our keeper, he drop kicked it clear after an easy catch, the other forward played a 1-2 with the winger and the whole defence shifted over to them. I ran into space as the forward shot, the defender blocked well and the ball dropped to me in acres of space keeper wrong footed and I thought "side foot, easy tap in" nope... miskicked it straight at the post. It went out to the defender who lumped it forward and they scored their third. We didn't come back into it and I never forgot it, I never scored another 11-aside goal after that. 

It was rare for me to score 1, let alone 2 and one kick ruined my confidence. I had kept us in the game and I had thrown the game away for us.  That miss haunted me after and I shifted focus to hitting the target or playing in team mates and still do in my 8-aside that I play in now... 

:(
  • Options
    I was in Sloane Sq on Sunday when the Liverpool coach (and the Liverpool corporate hospitality coach ffs) drove past.  Liverpool won 2-0.  My Liverpool-supporting mate nows wants me to be in a suitable position to see the coach for all subsequent away games so he must believe I influenced the game.
    I saw it back in July/August when they played arsenal, on the city road, followed it to the hotel they stayed at, the old shoreditch police station.... near Browns 😀
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    I saw it back in July/August when they played arsenal, on the city road, followed it to the hotel they stayed at, the old shoreditch police station.... near Browns 😀
    Browns, where's that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was in Scotland visiting the in-laws and was taken to Partick Thistle v Celtic.
    Apparently the Thistles keeper had defied a union walkout in his younger days.
    He were standing at the front and, in the pre match warm up he came over to retrieve a ball.
    My mate called out "Hey keeper where's your union card?". The keeper just looked at him and smiled.
    Happy days.
  • Options
    No, but i ave just lost the game
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Charlton v Milton Keynes Dons at The Valley in February 2012.

As is customary, my lads (both grown men) identified a member of the opposition for their particular brand of 'analysis'.  On this day, their target was lumbering centre-half Gary MacKenzie, and his shortcomings were explained to him, politely but clearly, on a number of occasions.

My boys were on top form that day.  Their delivery from the North Stand (Lower) was of the highest quality and, with MacKenzie frequently in ear-shot, it was soon evident that he was becoming a little 'distracted' and somewhat peeved by the well-intentioned feedback.  A turbulent character at the best of times, MacKenzie began to adopt the "I'll make them eat their words" approach ... an approach which is seldom conducive to controlled and effective football.

Just as a wrestler persistently works on a particular joint of his opponent, so my lads continued to offer their 'constructive comments' to the volatile Scot.

And then ... breaking point.  Unable to stride into the crowd to offer his counter-argument, MacKenzie finally broke ... and head-butted Yann Kermorgant in the place where it hurts the most ... the MK Dons penalty area.

The rest is history.  Oh yes, Johnnie Jackson may have scored the resultant penalty as we moved to a 2-1 win, but my lads got the assist.
    Thought Mackenzie got the assist. 
    Riiiight .....
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not sure I even influenced a Sunday league game I played in...
    In my final season of 11 a-side I influenced the game in good and bad ways.

We were playing a side that were pretty cack, but we were the support players, five of the better players had been on a night out the night before and the manager refused to play them. They all sulked and went home before kick off. 

We conceded an early goal, then on about half an hour I scored from a cross. It wasn't clean or tidy but it flew in through the keepers flailing hands. Half time it was 1-1. Second seemed to be going better, then around 70 minutes they scored a beautiful goal. Worked out from defence, switched sides a couple of times, then a perfect cross. 

Straight from the kick off myself and the other forward played a couple of obvous 1-2's and I played him in, he struck a shot and the keeper saved well. It fell to me on the edge of the 18 and I belted it. All power I had no idea if it would be on target as I hit it. It went low and bounced up off a bobble into the top corner. Clearly not what I intended, but a goal is a goal. 

On the next kick off they tried to lob our keeper, he drop kicked it clear after an easy catch, the other forward played a 1-2 with the winger and the whole defence shifted over to them. I ran into space as the forward shot, the defender blocked well and the ball dropped to me in acres of space keeper wrong footed and I thought "side foot, easy tap in" nope... miskicked it straight at the post. It went out to the defender who lumped it forward and they scored their third. We didn't come back into it and I never forgot it, I never scored another 11-aside goal after that. 

It was rare for me to score 1, let alone 2 and one kick ruined my confidence. I had kept us in the game and I had thrown the game away for us.  That miss haunted me after and I shifted focus to hitting the target or playing in team mates and still do in my 8-aside that I play in now... 

:(
     You’re fucking shit 
    You’re fucking shit you’re fucking shit you’re fucking shit you’re fucking shit you’re fucking shit you’re fucking shit you’re fucking shit you’re fucking shit you’re fucking shit
  • Options
    Charlton away at Oxford's old (Manor?) ground, possibly the 98 promotion season.
    Joey Beauchamp had single handedly controlled the game and a lacklustre Charlton side looked like a 1 nil defeat was the limit of their capabilities that afternoon.  We were sat in Oxford's poky "stand" which barely extended half way up the pitch and was seemingly some old scaffolding with seats bolted on and a makeshift roof, in short a deathtrap.  The ball sailed out of play over the heads of the half dozen or so rows in front of me right into my lap, for a Charlton throw. I stood up to throw it back and spotted John Robinson jogging up the near (right) wing into acres of space.  I hurled the ball at the approaching red shirt (possibly Steve Brown) and shouted "give it to Robbo!!" pointing towards the unmarked winger.  The thrower promptly obliged (from about 10 yards forward of the where the ball went out), Robbo wins us a corner, quickly taken by Kins to Robbo who picked out Super Clive - bingo - equaliser!
    From that moment on there was only one team in it and Johnny Johnny Robinson completed the turnaround himself shortly after.

I also share in a negative influence with a couple of hundred fellow Dartford supporters one freezing afternoon at Park View Road, possibly an FA Trophy match.  The Darts were getting a lesson off the then higher ranked Wings and, from our viewpoint, the Wings benefitted from a twelfth colleague wearing black and relentlessly interrupting matters with his whistle and massive ego.  Safe to say the ref was getting absolute pelters from the otherwise erudite and fair minded Darts supporters!!
    After a litany of hysterical and blatantly bent decisions from the narcissistic onanist he capped his homer performance by denying the most clear cut straight forward unarguable penalty for Dartford when our striker broke into the box and was scythed down from behind by a desperate swinging lunge from Wings's lumbering centre half.  The corrupt clown awarded Dartford a corner as the ball went out of play - at least consistent with the notion the Wings clogger had made contact with the ball - he hadn't got near it natch.  Darts striker required some minutes treatment before regaining his feet after the knee high swipe and on collecting his thoughts was understandably puzzled at the absence of a penalty and raised his concerns with the referee.  Having his omniscience queried the massive bellend pulled the offending Dart to the byeline to presumably make up some bollocks to justify his offense.  They were well within hearing of we now incandescent Darts behind the goal.  Some wag piped up to the effect "oi ref you cheating effwit, how's that not a penalty?  Red card all day long! He practically cut him in two, from behind, clean thru on goal, what the eff are you up to you naffing cheat, how much have they paid you?  You're a disgrace.  And anuvver fing if that weren't a foul then 'Jimmy' must have dived eh?  What you gonna do now, book him as well, you bleedin nonce?"
    As if in slow motion, we could see the ref's cogs a-turning, with half a glance to we behind the goal, he produced his yellow card and flounced it towards our brave boy.  Oops!  Worse still, on consulting his notebook, the ridiculous corrupt prick noticed that 'Jimmy' had already been booked.  Double oops!  The red inevitably followed and Darts' hopes of progression were immediately snuffed out.  We were unlikely ever to get anything out of that game but we behind the goal had helped drive in the final nail.  As I recall the ref didn't get within 20 yards of the visitors' goal for what remained of the match, blew the final whistle bang on 90 minutes and legged it off smartly. 
  • Options
    Perhaps there should be a thread for Footballers you have abused and then regretted your actions afterwards?
  • Options
    BDL said:
    Perhaps there should be a thread for Footballers you have abused and then regretted your actions afterwards?
    Bit unprofessional whilst doing it as the Stadium announcer? ;)

Funny you should say that.......