Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    iainment said:
    When I change up a gear the lever sometimes just doesn’t catch anything. Is this anything to worry about?
      Could be quite a few things.  First thing to check and clean is the cable runs. After cleaning you can apply some bike lubricant - especially in the cable run underneath the bottom bracket area - this can all help the cable to run smoother. 

If the ratchet is not clicking in the gear lever when you change it could be a few things.  If the ratchets gone, it's really difficult to fix anything on modern gear levers - most are sealed units unlike 20 years ago so it's probably a new gear lever.  Or a simple one is it could be your outer cable sheath: These heavier plastic cable sheaths have a wire inner core.  If they're old/strained the wire core can fail causing a bend/snap in the cable sheath where the gear cable can't run freely through them.  This is just a simple easy replacement of the cable sheath. 

I guess it's your rear derailluer, this could be out of line on both or either of the high or low gear.  Usually in this scenario you'd hear a click from the gear levers, but the gear might not change until you click a second time.  If you think it's this check a youtube video on how to realign your gears, or take it into the bike shop.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    iainment said:
    When I change up a gear the lever sometimes just doesn’t catch anything. Is this anything to worry about?
      Could be quite a few things.  First thing to check and clean is the cable runs. After cleaning you can apply some bike lubricant - especially in the cable run underneath the bottom bracket area - this can all help the cable to run smoother. 

If the ratchet is not clicking in the gear lever when you change it could be a few things.  If the ratchets gone, it's really difficult to fix anything on modern gear levers - most are sealed units unlike 20 years ago so it's probably a new gear lever.  Or a simple one is it could be your outer cable sheath: These heavier plastic cable sheaths have a wire inner core.  If they're old/strained the wire core can fail causing a bend/snap in the cable sheath where the gear cable can run freely through them.  This is just a simple easy replacement of the cable sheath. 

I guess it's your rear derailluer, this could be out of line on both or either of the high or low gear.  Usually in this scenario you'd hear a click from the gear levers, but the gear might not change until you click a second time.  If you think it's this check a youtube video on how to realign your gears, or take it into the bike shop.
    Thanks @ColinTat
  • Options
    Just been caught in a hail storm on Dartmoor. It hurt.
  • Options
    Ouch.  No hale to the hail.

What a finish from Primoz, sprint climbing on the drops.  I wonder who else used to climb on the drops?   ;)

Joking aside, shame he won't ride the Giro as that parcours would suit him this year.  There's no chance he's winning the TDF with two 2,000m climbs in the last week.  Racing like this and some Classics, he's going to fade in the third week again.
  • Options

I still have nightmares about Lejog Day 2 - Liskeard to Taunton. The slog up and over Dartmoor was horrendous in thick fog and pouring rain.

80 odd miles and 8000ft climbing. Definitely one of the toughest days I have ever had in the saddle.
  • Options

I still have nightmares about Lejog Day 2 - Liskeard to Taunton. The slog up and over Dartmoor was horrendous in thick fog and pouring rain.

80 odd miles and 8000ft climbing. Definitely one of the toughest days I have ever had in the saddle.
    Mine was only a quick (well not that quick!) 11 mile loop but all up for the first half on my old Dawes Horizon. 80 miles over Dartmoor would kill me!
  • Options
    50k today along the river.

There were strong winds, sunshine, rain, rainbows and hail.

Really enjoyable.
  • Options
    Bloody hell, just caught up with the highlights of Paris-Nice. You would have put a lot of money on Roglic cruising that race. Just shows the fine margins they are operating at and how fragile a comfortable lead can be. 
  • Options
    You'd think a ski jumper would be better going downhill... 
  • Options
    You'd think a ski jumper would be better going downhill... 
    only if it’s a straight line 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When fitting a new freehub is it advisable to also fit a brand new cassette?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I would. I never fit a new cassette without a new chain as well.

Is the freehub not serviceable? Most can be stripped down and the bearings replaced.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I would. I never fit a new cassette without a new chain as well.

Is the freehub not serviceable? Most can be stripped down and the bearings replaced.
    Nah, dropped it into the shop last week as I thought the bearings had gone. Rang today to say wheel bearings are fine but need a new freehub. Annoyingly they can't source what I need so I'm having to order the part and take it over to them. Was considering whether to get a new cassette as well but I can do that easy enough myself. Thanks!
  • Options
    Unless the freehub had worn to the point where you'd ridden it with lateral play in it for months, you only need to change the cassette if it's worn.

I get three chains out of every cassette - replacing the chain every 2000-2500km on average (more frequently in winter). If you're not sure if it's worn, put a new chain on and if it jumps around when shifting down the block, replace the cassette as well, as you'll have worn a 'memory' into the cassette on your 2 or 3 most used cogs. 
  • Options
    I had recently bought a new chain as it was a bit jumpy and probably was due one about now. A good thorough clean though seemed to sort it out, used the chain measuring tool and still has a bit of life left. I've got the new freehub on the way so I'll take it in for them to fit, if they really think it needs a new cassette I'll just buy one off them.
  • Options
    So this freehub has become a bit of a headache. Really struggling to find a replacement freehub for it. Had two orders cancelled online because they are out of stock. Looks like those wheels are no longer being produced so what are my options? New wheel? If I do that does it make sense to buy just a rear or get a whole new wheelset? 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    So this freehub has become a bit of a headache. Really struggling to find a replacement freehub for it. Had two orders cancelled online because they are out of stock. Looks like those wheels are no longer being produced so what are my options? New wheel? If I do that does it make sense to buy just a rear or get a whole new wheelset? 
    There’s a shortage of wheels too. I’m still struggling to get a new wheel for my touring bike. Everywhere are either out of stock or waiting on an order which should be here “by the end of the month”. 
    They don’t say which month.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    colthe3rd said:
    There’s a shortage of wheels too. I’m still struggling to get a new wheel for my touring bike. Everywhere are either out of stock or waiting on an order which should be here “by the end of the month”. 
    Yeah I'm also having that problem from the quick look I've done this morning. Might just go for whatever cheap wheels I can find, the bike is entry anyway and hoping to get a new bike on cycle to work soon (though given the shortages that might be a long wait as well).
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    iainment said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Yeah I'm also having that problem from the quick look I've done this morning. Might just go for whatever cheap wheels I can find, the bike is entry anyway and hoping to get a new bike on cycle to work soon (though given the shortages that might be a long wait as well).
    I work as a mechanic in an LBS and stock for parts has been a nightmare since Covid hit, demand going through the roof while manufacturing died. A horrible combination. Now add Brexit into the mix and its has got and will continue to get worse. 
  • Options
    Yep. It's an unholy clusterfuck of circumstances. Brexit will be a massive pain in the arse going forward, covid is masking some of the problems at the moment - but it's Brexit that is the real underlying problem for parts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi all. I know it’s probably not really what you lot are into, but I’d like some advice on a suitable hybrid for the commute to work please. Only 6 ish miles each way, but I live at the top of Shooters Hill so there’s always an uphill return journey! Plum Lane is going to be my preferred route home, so it’s fairly steep... I’ve seen a couple of 7 geared bikes that I like the look of, but will that be enough or should I be looking at something else? Thanks 👍🏻
  • Options
    Perry’s in Woolwich have, I’m told by them, 200 wheels I stock. I got one for my touring bike today. It’s not the absolute best wheel but it’ll get me going until the supplies get going again.
    Try them. 
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Hi all. I know it’s probably not really what you lot are into, but I’d like some advice on a suitable hybrid for the commute to work please. Only 6 ish miles each way, but I live at the top of Shooters Hill so there’s always an uphill return journey! Plum Lane is going to be my preferred route home, so it’s fairly steep... I’ve seen a couple of 7 geared bikes that I like the look of, but will that be enough or should I be looking at something else? Thanks 👍🏻
    What's your budget? 7 gear doesn't seem enough, nit that I'm am expert
  • Options
    iainment said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I use these for Road and MTB, they usually have 3-4 week wait.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl9GCBhDvARIsAFunhsnMezM5zqHAmNO-fI_mVwajzFQ-ml5N8YhjpybeIZUFVlmC41y-ixEaAstTEALw_wcB

• Options
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    Budget is up to a grand. Hoping that’s enough to get me something decent for commuting / family days out.
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    Budget is up to a grand. Hoping that’s enough to get me something decent for commuting / family days out.
    And what's your level at? Are you happy to have to have front gears and rear gears? Or do you just want to worry about rear gears? 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    And what's your level at? Are you happy to have to have front gears and rear gears? Or do you just want to worry about rear gears? 
    Level is very much a beginner in terms of road cycling, but I’m happy to get something that will be the most beneficial and learn how to use it the most effectively as I go along.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    Level is very much a beginner in terms of road cycling, but I’m happy to get something that will be the most beneficial and learn how to use it the most effectively as I go along.
    For the under £1k price range, I think (and am happy to be corrected) that Decathlon are often one of the best for value, and for your price range you can get something very, very nice.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc520-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-308072?mc=8554421&c=BLUE

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-520-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-307286?mc=8543912

I would recommend looking at these two. Shimano 105 (all of the mechanical parts of the bike are in a manufacturer's "category") is the perfect "benchmark," under that just isn't as good (although can be perfectly fine!), above that you are just paying for weight reductions. 

The key difference between those two bikes I posted is that one is the flat bar hybrid you are talking about, but the other has the "drops" and is a proper road bike. 

£850, and in my opinion, very good value for money. 

I'd also add, if you can handle the drops one, I would go for it. If you end up getting the cycling "bug" then you will absolutely love it.

My first bike was a decathlon, and I ended up taking it back two weeks later to get a better, drop bar bike (Decathlon are great about this by the way, I just paid the difference between the two bikes) as I knew cycling was for me. Then a few months later I sold that and bought a Cannondale CAAD 10. Then a year and a half later I used that as a turbo trainer and bought a Ribble SL Disc Di2 bike. I'll sell my house soon and buy a top of the range Bianchi ;)

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    For the under £1k price range, I think (and am happy to be corrected) that Decathlon are often one of the best for value, and for your price range you can get something very, very nice.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc520-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-308072?mc=8554421&c=BLUE

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-520-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-307286?mc=8543912

I would recommend looking at these two. Shimano 105 (all of the mechanical parts of the bike are in a manufacturer's "category") is the perfect "benchmark," under that just isn't as good (although can be perfectly fine!), above that you are just paying for weight reductions. 

The key difference between those two bikes I posted is that one is the flat bar hybrid you are talking about, but the other has the "drops" and is a proper road bike. 

Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

That’s great, thank you. I’d be able to push to £1,500 for something that was going to last me, but because it’s only going to be a bike with a flat bar I’m not sure if it’s worth going too mad with something that might not necessarily be a proper road bike. 

It needs work on a couple of levels really, as my wife will also be getting something similar for days out (although not as many gears as we’d probably be going along flatter routes with the kids). 
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

That’s great, thank you. I’d be able to push to £1,500 for something that was going to last me, but because it’s only going to be a bike with a flat bar I’m not sure if it’s worth going too mad with something that might not necessarily be a proper road bike. 

It needs work on a couple of levels really, as my wife will also be getting something similar for days out (although not as many gears as we’d probably be going along flatter routes with the kids). 
    Ah nice.

the Decathlon "Riverside" range of bikes are quite nice for days out where you are not going on actual roads etc. The flat bar Triban will do you well. You are right though, I wouldn't recommend £1,500 on a flat bar!