Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Thanks so much for the info, really appreciate it! 👍🏻
  • Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    Hi all. I know it’s probably not really what you lot are into, but I’d like some advice on a suitable hybrid for the commute to work please. Only 6 ish miles each way, but I live at the top of Shooters Hill so there’s always an uphill return journey! Plum Lane is going to be my preferred route home, so it’s fairly steep... I’ve seen a couple of 7 geared bikes that I like the look of, but will that be enough or should I be looking at something else? Thanks 👍🏻
    What's your budget? 7 gear doesn't seem enough, nit that I'm am expert
    Budget is up to a grand. Hoping that’s enough to get me something decent for commuting / family days out.
    That is a good budget for entry level, you can do well for less google best entry llevel road bikes and a reputable publication will come up. There are also bike2work/cycle schemes where you get a loan from your workplace and pay off pre tax, have a look https://www.bike2workscheme.co.uk/ . It claims to get you 20 - 40% off, you can also get peripharies through this so if you are just starting off you can get lights,helmut, gloves etc.

Be aware that there is a shortage of everything at the moment partly due to people taking it up during COVID. Also remember to buy what is right for you, 6 miles isn't far so you don't need top of the range. Cycle shop workers are salespeople too and ethy will try to get you to upgrade everything. Pointless getting super light weight stuff if you are overweight (like me).
  • I’ve got the RC 520 and I love it. Best thing about it (other than the mad value for money) is the tyre clearance. I’ve got big boy 35mm tyres on mine now, basically turning it into a gravel bike. If I put 25mm on it it’s a road bike again. 

• Ps yes I bought the Adidas velo sambas. What can I say I’m a sucker for fashion :joy:
  • EastStand said:
    I’ve got the RC 520 and I love it. Best thing about it (other than the mad value for money) is the tyre clearance. I’ve got big boy 35mm tyres on mine now, basically turning it into a gravel bike. If I put 25mm on it it’s a road bike again. 

A man of fine taste clearly! 

As @Cordoban Addick rightly points out, the cycle to work scheme is brilliant for this price range as you will be well within the limit and get yourself kitted out with other stuff to.

There are widespread issues with supply, as cycling seems to have gone crazy since COVID (I was quoted a month to get a bike back if I took it in!) but the roadbike version (pictured) is currently in stock at Decathlon Surrey Quays in various sizes as it is their most popular bike, and really seems like a nice piece of kit to me. 
  • Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    Hi all. I know it’s probably not really what you lot are into, but I’d like some advice on a suitable hybrid for the commute to work please. Only 6 ish miles each way, but I live at the top of Shooters Hill so there’s always an uphill return journey! Plum Lane is going to be my preferred route home, so it’s fairly steep... I’ve seen a couple of 7 geared bikes that I like the look of, but will that be enough or should I be looking at something else? Thanks 👍🏻
    Budget is up to a grand. Hoping that’s enough to get me something decent for commuting / family days out.
    And what's your level at? Are you happy to have to have front gears and rear gears? Or do you just want to worry about rear gears? 
    Level is very much a beginner in terms of road cycling, but I’m happy to get something that will be the most beneficial and learn how to use it the most effectively as I go along.
    For the under £1k price range, I think (and am happy to be corrected) that Decathlon are often one of the best for value, and for your price range you can get something very, very nice.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc520-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-308072?mc=8554421&c=BLUE

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-520-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-307286?mc=8543912

I would recommend looking at these two. Shimano 105 (all of the mechanical parts of the bike are in a manufacturer's "category") is the perfect "benchmark," under that just isn't as good (although can be perfectly fine!), above that you are just paying for weight reductions. 

The key difference between those two bikes I posted is that one is the flat bar hybrid you are talking about, but the other has the "drops" and is a proper road bike. 

£850, and in my opinion, very good value for money. 

Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    And what's your level at? Are you happy to have to have front gears and rear gears? Or do you just want to worry about rear gears? 
    Level is very much a beginner in terms of road cycling, but I’m happy to get something that will be the most beneficial and learn how to use it the most effectively as I go along.
    For the under £1k price range, I think (and am happy to be corrected) that Decathlon are often one of the best for value, and for your price range you can get something very, very nice.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc520-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-308072?mc=8554421&c=BLUE

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-520-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-105/_/R-p-307286?mc=8543912

I would recommend looking at these two. Shimano 105 (all of the mechanical parts of the bike are in a manufacturer's "category") is the perfect "benchmark," under that just isn't as good (although can be perfectly fine!), above that you are just paying for weight reductions. 

The key difference between those two bikes I posted is that one is the flat bar hybrid you are talking about, but the other has the "drops" and is a proper road bike. 

That’s great, thank you. I’d be able to push to £1,500 for something that was going to last me, but because it’s only going to be a bike with a flat bar I’m not sure if it’s worth going too mad with something that might not necessarily be a proper road bike. 

It needs work on a couple of levels really, as my wife will also be getting something similar for days out (although not as many gears as we’d probably be going along flatter routes with the kids). 
    You can’t go wrong with a Specialized Sirrus in that price range. I’ve used them as my commuter, shopping and medium trip bikes.
    Within your price don’t forget locks, lights, pump, panniers, helmet and clothing.
  • iainment said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

That’s great, thank you. I’d be able to push to £1,500 for something that was going to last me, but because it’s only going to be a bike with a flat bar I’m not sure if it’s worth going too mad with something that might not necessarily be a proper road bike. 

It needs work on a couple of levels really, as my wife will also be getting something similar for days out (although not as many gears as we’d probably be going along flatter routes with the kids). 
    You can’t go wrong with a Specialized Sirrus in that price range. I’ve used them as my commuter, shopping and medium trip bikes.
    Within your price don’t forget locks, lights, pump, panniers, helmet and clothing.
    Thanks, I’ll check that out now.
  • Talking about cycle to work, does anyone here have any experience in setting one up or changing a scheme that's used?

I started a new job back end of last year and as soon as my probation is over I plan on getting a new bike on the scheme. Problem is the one at our current place is only through Evans. Obviously I'd rather not use them but I also read yesterday about how they're now forcing employees onto zero hour contracts. I was going to speak to HR and see if it's possible to use one of the other schemes that can be used at various shops but how easy is it to change schemes? Are they tied into the scheme with Evans for a certain time period? 
  • Apart from the Ashley is there another reason not to use Evans i.e. poor quality/bad service etc?
  • Apart from the Ashley is there another reason not to use Evans i.e. poor quality/bad service etc?
     Yes  Evans after sales is dog sh!te
  • Sponsored links:

• This was posted on reddit yesterday
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ukbike/comments/m8ccxl/tales_from_an_evans_cycles_staff_member/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share 

So yeah not desperate to use them but equally kind of hard to turn down the savings of cycle to work. 
  • edited March 2021
    colthe3rd said:
    This was posted on reddit yesterday
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ukbike/comments/m8ccxl/tales_from_an_evans_cycles_staff_member/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share 

So yeah not desperate to use them but equally kind of hard to turn down the savings of cycle to work. 
    That's my problem. They are the only close by 'chain' and they do a reasonable entry level road bike (Pinnacle 3 is what I am thinking of), that does Cycle2work. Lots of smaller shops have it but their entry level bikes are £300+ more expensive for what appear to be/are rated lesser bikes, their peripherals are also bloody expensive. I haven't bought it yet but I guess I will get the service that I pay for!
  • colthe3rd said:
    This was posted on reddit yesterday

But reading that I may try and look elsewhere.
  • colthe3rd said:
    Talking about cycle to work, does anyone here have any experience in setting one up or changing a scheme that's used?

I started a new job back end of last year and as soon as my probation is over I plan on getting a new bike on the scheme. Problem is the one at our current place is only through Evans. Obviously I'd rather not use them but I also read yesterday about how they're now forcing employees onto zero hour contracts. I was going to speak to HR and see if it's possible to use one of the other schemes that can be used at various shops but how easy is it to change schemes? Are they tied into the scheme with Evans for a certain time period? 

Depending on the company you work for, it is possible to change schemes and as far as I'm aware there is no official tying into a scheme (e.g I don't think x business has to sign a contract then spend 3 years with y scheme). 

I have experienced customers changing schemes so they can buy bikes/parts from our shop in the past, however from memory these people either worked for smaller companies or were self-employed. 

I think it will come down to if your HR is arsed to change scheme or if changing scheme will have any affect on other people in your company who are still paying off their cycle to work scheme. 

Usually the efficiency and experience of going through the cycle to work scheme will largely be dependant on your employer, the HR and how strict they are with what you can spend the voucher on.  

Hope this is accurate and helps! 

Also fuck Cashley. 
  • colthe3rd said:
    Talking about cycle to work, does anyone here have any experience in setting one up or changing a scheme that's used?

Try Cycles uk in Creek road Deptford.
    i’ve only ever browsed in there but the two young fellas were very clued up (one roadie and a mountain biker) and helpfull..
  • colthe3rd said:

Depending on the company you work for, it is possible to change schemes and as far as I'm aware there is no official tying into a scheme (e.g I don't think x business has to sign a contract then spend 3 years with y scheme). 

I have experienced customers changing schemes so they can buy bikes/parts from our shop in the past, however from memory these people either worked for smaller companies or were self-employed. 

I think it will come down to if your HR is arsed to change scheme or if changing scheme will have any affect on other people in your company who are still paying off their cycle to work scheme. 

Usually the efficiency and experience of going through the cycle to work scheme will largely be dependant on your employer, the HR and how strict they are with what you can spend the voucher on.  

Hope this is accurate and helps! 

Also fuck Cashley. 
    Very helpful cheers. We are a fairly small company so I'll have a chat whenever I can and see what they say. Might even mention about the reddit post and how that ties into us trying to be more socially responsible. 
  • colthe3rd said:

Try Cycles uk in Creek road Deptford.
    i’ve only ever browsed in there but the two young fellas were very clued up (one roadie and a mountain biker) and helpfull..
    Used to go there until Marco left. After found it had no respect for potential customers. Glad it seems to have improved.
  • edited March 2021
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Ah nice.

the Decathlon "Riverside" range of bikes are quite nice for days out where you are not going on actual roads etc. The flat bar Triban will do you well. You are right though, I wouldn't recommend £1,500 on a flat bar!
    Many great touring bikes with flat bars are well over £1500 and worth it.
  • edited March 2021
    iainment said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Ah nice.

the Decathlon "Riverside" range of bikes are quite nice for days out where you are not going on actual roads etc. The flat bar Triban will do you well. You are right though, I wouldn't recommend £1,500 on a flat bar!
    Would you be able to recommend any please? I’ve been looking for days and to be honest I don’t know anymore! 
  • Rylo said:
    iainment said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Ah nice.

Would you be able to recommend any please? I’ve been looking for days and to be honest I don’t know anymore! 
    Genesis Tour de Fer,
    Oxford bike works touring bikes
    Thorn Nomad

These spring to mind, look at Tom Allen’s site TomsBikeTrip.com for links to the best touring bikes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:
    Rylo said:
    iainment said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:

Ah nice.

Genesis Tour de Fer,
    Oxford bike works touring bikes
    Thorn Nomad

These spring to mind, look at Tom Allen’s site TomsBikeTrip.com for links to the best touring bikes. 
    That’s great, thank you very much.
  • Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    I was looking for a hybird at that kind of budget a year ago and narrowed it down to the Trek 3 and the Specialised Sirrus X 3.0 (ended spending more in the end on a Trek 4). The difficulty last year was finding anything at all, not sure if it's eased since then.  
  • edited March 2021
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    Jints said:
    Rylo said:
    I was looking for a hybird at that kind of budget a year ago and narrowed it down to the Trek 3 and the Specialised Sirrus X 3.0 (ended spending more in the end on a Trek 4). The difficulty last year was finding anything at all, not sure if it's eased since then.  
    Thank you, I’ll have a look. And you’re right, there’s a long wait for anything half decent at the moment. Fingers crossed I’ll find something soon!
  • Still currently on the lookout for a new bike, not easy during lockdown. 

I’ve always ridden shimano 105 (plus a couple of times ultegra) but a couple of the bikes I’ve been looking at have SRAM force 22. 

Anyone on here had experience of riding both? Probably being mad being concerned about the ease of use when swapping but curious to know other’s opinions. 
  • I’m wondering about upgrading the group set on my touring bike. Currently it’s Shimano Sora, with triple front rings and 9 at the back.
    What would be better and appropriate for a touring bike?
  • iainment said:
    I’m wondering about upgrading the group set on my touring bike. Currently it’s Shimano Sora, with triple front rings and 9 at the back.
    I'd go with 105 compact with a long cage rear mech. It will give you the gearing you want to get you up pretty much any hill, even loaded with panniers, as well as being more durable and lighter than Sora. That will give you a 44t range and mean you can get away with a 34/34 if you want to - or even bigger with a bit of fettling
  • iainment said:
    I’m wondering about upgrading the group set on my touring bike. Currently it’s Shimano Sora, with triple front rings and 9 at the back.
    I'd go with 105 compact with a long cage rear mech. It will give you the gearing you want to get you up pretty much any hill, even loaded with panniers, as well as being more durable and lighter than Sora. That will give you a 44t range and mean you can get away with a 34/34 if you want to - or even bigger with a bit of fettling
    Thanks
  • Amazon currently doing discounts on muc off products if anyone needs some cleaning or lubing stuff.