Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Damn, I want to get a winter commuter but also may want to switch jobs fairly soon. May have to find somewhere offering 0% credit instead
  • Options
    ^^ This

Different workplaces have a different approach to the scheme. Our bean counters changed things around a few years ago for some tax reason and, when I sat down with the head of finance to discuss whether it was worth me funding my new bike on the CTW scheme, it turned out it wasn't. I went the 0% finance route instead and now have a lovely bike, which I pay off every month in instalments to make it manageable.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Anyone out at the Bec CC Hill Climb on White lane today? David Millar's last ever race. Fantastic event every year. I saw a few Charlton jackets/coats on my way up (well afterwards, I was to knackered to notice during my run).

I got a time of 2 minutes 41 seconds, which I think put me 6/11th in the juniors and probably top half overall. Not 100% sure though, will be interesting to see when the results are published.
  • Options
    I was there today and was repping out my Charlton jacket just as the rain descended. It was a great event and great to see so many people not only taking part but supporting. The Road was absolutely heaving and the level of support everyone gave was outstanding.

Even more Kudos to you though Adickted4life for giving the climb a go! That's a serious time you put in there and you should be really proud of that! Only 38 seconds slower than a pro rider! Now that's not bad at all!

It was also awesome to see David Millar take part and enjoy the ride however it must have been fairly surreal for him really. Most riders go out having pushed solidly at the end of a grand tour for three weeks or something as a real heavyweight test, and as David himself said, today was all over for him in two minutes or so. None the less it was awesome to be able to see him ride once more and enjoy the day
  • Options

Reduced ticket prices to race meet at Stratford next weekend incase anyone interested.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/london/gl-revolution-series-3/46742040
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Anyone out at the Bec CC Hill Climb on White lane today? David Millar's last ever race. Fantastic event every year. I saw a few Charlton jackets/coats on my way up (well afterwards, I was to knackered to notice during my run).

I got a time of 2 minutes 41 seconds, which I think put me 6/11th in the juniors and probably top half overall. Not 100% sure though, will be interesting to see when the results are published.

Well done! I would have been there, but am in Barcelona this week. Is that the Yorks Hill climb? Can't remember if that's Bec or Catford CC?
  • Options

Well done! I would have been there, but am in Barcelona this week. Is that the Yorks Hill climb? Can't remember if that's Bec or Catford CC?
    Cheers, Yorks is Catford CC which took place in the morning, then White lane is Bec CC, which took place in the afternoon.
  • Options
    Took 45 seconds off my PB on a 10 mile TT on Sunday. Bought a set of profile aero bars - they make a big difference on the flat. Wish I was cycling with a tailwind today - gusts of about 30mph would make some interesting Strava times :)

I may soon be moving Oop North (near Chorley), so will be nice to have some new routes to ride. Winter Hill and Rivington Pike look interesting
  • Options
    Not really ridden my bike since Hastings and back a month ago or so - commuted yesterday from SE10 to Cvt Gdn and my legs were on fire...have used my Vespa today...need to get back in to it, but struggling for motivation...keep seeing your bloomin PB's come up on Strava @‌Leroy Ambrose and just depresses me...!
  • Options
    I'm thinking of getting into cycling. I'm a fit lad anyway, but I always get urges to go out and cycle to places I wouldn't otherwise go...

However, I have no clue, on types of bikes, what to buy, where, cost etc...

Would you pros be able to point me in the right direction please?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First question - road or offroad?

If off road, then no clue.

If road, then it depends on many factors. The main one is money. Cycling can be hideously expensive. But you can get a decent entry level road bike for about 600 quid.

All brands will have a bike at this price point - you won't get the best groupset (gears), it won't be the lightest and you'll probably have a carbon fork only but it's still going to be a decent buy to see whether you enjoy it

Alternatively, you could try looking on eBay for second hand road bikes - you'll get some bargains on there.
  • Options
    or have a look at Primera Bournemouth, they do interest free pay monthly deals, or does your work do the cycle to work scheme.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Hi guys and girls,

Hope you don't mind me asking on this thread, but thought it may be a good place to start...

I'm qualified as a Sports Massage therapist, and have recently picked up some work at a local rehabilitation clinic and tennis club. This has been fantastic, but I'm currently in the process of converting a spare room at home (Welling / Shooters Hill) into a treatment room. I am mobile, so do home visits when required.

If anyone wants / knows someone who may be interested in a Sports / Swedish massage service please get in touch. Also, I was thinking of contacting local cycling clubs directly to offer this. Do people think it's worth a try, or do they generally have people providing treatments already?

Appreciate your time.

Ry
  • Options
    Definitely worth speaking to local cycling clubs as doubt they have anyone...

Would try BigFoot, based in Bromley and Dulwich Paragon in the first instance...not sure on any other clubs... There is also the cycling park at Gravesend, which may have a requirement...

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks, really appreciate it. I'll definitely get in touch with the clubs you've mentioned.

I've given the place in Gravesend a try already but they have a treatment service on site. Just a case of building things up gradually, but thought the clubs would be a good place to start.
  • Options
    Tbh Rylo, would think you'd get more luck trying some of the local running clubs.

Plumstead Runners, Petts Wood Runners, New Eltham Joggers, Dartford Harriers, Swanley, Bromley, So Let's Go Running in Dartford etc.

Perhaps its just me because I run and ride with various clubs but there seems to be quite a number of massage therapists knocking about around the London Borough of Bexley.
  • Options
    Thanks @JohnBoyUK‌, I'll do that. You're probably right actually, as I know I end up with more aches and pains from running than anything else!
  • Options
    Rylo said:

Hi guys and girls,

Hope you don't mind me asking on this thread, but thought it may be a good place to start...

I'm qualified as a Sports Massage therapist, and have recently picked up some work at a local rehabilitation clinic and tennis club. This has been fantastic, but I'm currently in the process of converting a spare room at home (Welling / Shooters Hill) into a treatment room. I am mobile, so do home visits when required.

If anyone wants / knows someone who may be interested in a Sports / Swedish massage service please get in touch. Also, I was thinking of contacting local cycling clubs directly to offer this. Do people think it's worth a try, or do they generally have people providing treatments already?

Appreciate your time.

Ry

Does the Swedish massage service have a happy ending ? :-)
  • Options

Rylo said:

Hi guys and girls,

Appreciate your time.

Ry

Does the Swedish massage service have a happy ending ? :-)
    Everyone has a price I suppose..?! ;-)
  • Options
    What exactly is a sports/Swedish massage?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What exactly is a sports/Swedish massage?

Sorry, should've written sports OR Swedish massage. All depends on whether you want a deep tissue massage that helps to release tension and break down scar tissue (and can be uncomfortable at times!), or a relaxation based massage.
  • Options
    Bit of advice needed.
    Have my Sons White Pinnacle Dolomite bike in my shed which is collecting dust. Its in pretty good condition as it wasn't used all that much. It is the Med frame version, very lightwight with all the gears.
    Any ideas of the second hand value as it seems a waste just sitting there and I could do with the space?
  • Options

Bit of advice needed.
    Have my Sons White Pinnacle Dolomite bike in my shed which is collecting dust. Its in pretty good condition as it wasn't used all that much. It is the Med frame version, very lightwight with all the gears.
    Any ideas of the second hand value as it seems a waste just sitting there and I could do with the space?

As per the rules, you need to apply n+1, where n is your current number of bikes. Happy to help :)

(as for 2nd hand prices, check out ebay and gumtree, best places to look)
  • Options
    Rylo said:

Hi guys and girls,

Appreciate your time.

Ry

I booked Ry in for an hour yesterday to work on my old cycling legs and he certainly knows his stuff.

Recommended.
  • Options
    Thought they bred 'em tough up here? 28 mile commute home from Manchester in the pissing down rain last night and didn't see a single other soul on a bike. Rule 9 - check.

Going to enjoy the cycling up here. The commute especially is much nicer than commuting in London (thought more than twice the distance)
  • Options
    The club scene is big up there, are you going to join one?
  • Options
    Yeah - Manchester Wheelers I think. They do a lot of organised stuff, and also track days at the velo. Quite fancy a bit of track riding. Only problem with them is their rides usually start off south of Manchester and I'm North West, so it's a 25 mile bop out to the start point. Probably drive that so I don't blow up on the second half of the actual rides.
  • Options

Yeah. Hacienda still going?
  • Options

Yeah. Hacienda still going?
    how the fuck would i know, I'm nearly 60!
  • Options
    Hacienda closed down late 1990's. It's now an apartment block.