Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options

Has anyone on here (Charlton Charlie, JohnBoy maybe?) ever been or are currently a member of a cycling club? I've been reluctant to do this up until now because I can't be dealing with all that cliqueiness that seems to go with amateur sports clubs, but I really need to improve, and have left all my mates way behind me. If I can find a club that isn't full of tossers, I think it'll be a great help for me.

I've sent an email to the registration Secretary of Addiscombe CC as they seem to be OK when out on the road (not tossbags like most of the Paragon tools, or old men like Catford).

If anybody has been a club member and has advice, that would be great :)

Its a toughie Leroy, various people will have difference experiences. I've been on rides with three different local cycling clubs (Seeds, LEC and West Kent) and all three were ok to a point.

I rode with Seeds first as a complete novice many years ago. I was heavy then, couldnt get up the hills and hated every minute of it. I was dropped on one Saturday ride and was made to feel very unwelcome. I'd love to go back their now and show them just how much I've improved.

Then I joined Limited Edition Cycling (LEC). Loved the atmosphere for about a year then the second year it began to get difficult. My fitness had gone through the roof exponentially, where by others in the club had sat still or were going backwards then they only catered for the majority. Where as I was comfortable riding 50 miles in less than 3hrs and wanted to do that every week (leave at 8 on a Sunday and be back by 11 to make the most of the rest of the day), they preferred a leisurely 14mph, stopping for coffee and cake and a 50 mile ride leaving at 9:30am ended up finishing at 3-4pm. I offered to lead advanced rides at 17-18mph+ with no stops and I got told I was selfish and should be willing to support those who didnt want to put more effort in to their fitness as I clearly was just sit around and eat cake. I started cycling to get fit and lose weight, I could never get my head around eating cake halfway through!!!

Now following that, I had a couple of rides with West Kent. Nice bunch but yet again, there was a huge difference in ability. They ran two groups, one that was around 15mph and then a race group which was 23-24mph. The slow group was far too slow with more coffee and cake stops and I didnt have a hope in hell in staying with their quick group (and I wasnt welcome as I didnt want to race!)

Some of the guys from LEC broke away to form Eltham Velo but having kept an eye on their data on Strava, their so-called advanced rides rarely get above 15-15.5mph so they're no interest to me (especially when I can run 10 miles in 1hr 30mins and burn the same amount of calories they will in 4-5hrs of cycling!)

Its hard to find a club which is the right fit for you. I have to say I'm not convinced anyone needs to be part of a club to get better and improve. The only thing it will do is help you keep motivated. The only way you can get really better is by training on your own and putting in hard work on the bike. As long as you've got the right mindset and mentality, like I know you have, then you'll be fine. Perhaps I've had some bad experiences.

Paragon do come across as the most obnoxious bunch on the road but if there's one club I would join, it would be them as they really do take it seriously. I've heard good things about Big Foot CC at Hayes, so if things work out with the GF and I end up moving in with her in Petts Wood then its only around the corner.

What I would say is just go on some rides and try the clubs out. See what is your best fit. Be prepared for the cliqueiness though more than anything you've ever experienced before. If you're not wearing Assos or riding with DI2 then god help you ;)

• Options
    Just to add that I have no interest in riding with a club for all the reasons you / @JohnBoyUK state.. I see the Paragon out on the road and they never even smile, let alone say hello...too far up their own arses for me (full kit wankers..)... I have ridden with Big Foot CC on their annual Hayes - Brighton ride and they are good people...they have several groups, so am sure you could find one that suited.. Some of my mates have started Blackheath Velo and I ride with them occasionally, but again, they're starting to take it more seriously than I am prepared to...so I end up riding on my own most of the time..which means I don't improve, but I'm fine with that...I'm 44, I like to drink and eat and I can cycle up mountains all day long...I'm never going to win a race but I'll bet I'm fitter than 99.9% of the rest of the 44 year olds out there... That said, I'm cycling down to Hastings and back on Saturday, so will see how that 'solo riding' strategy is working out....
  • Options
    Cheers fellas. Pretty much my exact take on it :) I could probably live with a chaingang but if I'm honest, I wouldn't enjoy it, so pretty pointless. I'm also not keen on the idea of racing either, so that counts me out of the 'serious' side of clubs.

I'm going to try out Addiscombe and see if they have a bunch that's at my sort of level. I'm planning on a lot of events next year, so need to get myself shipshape for those. The guy who I go out with regularly also needs some encouragement. It's pretty pointless him following me up all the hills - and pretty pointless me trying to slow down to gee him up them as I'm wasting my time out then. He's planning on doing the l'etape with me next year and maybe the l2p24.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @Leroy Ambrose - my mate just did the L2P24, last weekend I think - out of something like 50 starters, only 11 made the time...he finished with 6 mins to spare....sounds brutal to me....
  • Options
    I didn't know there was more than one official L2P24. I know the Scope one was a couple of months ago - 5th/6th July weekend. I had a couple of mates riding it. One of them didn't finish, the other did it in relay. Absolutely appalling conditions (20mph headwind and sheet rain through every France stage). Less than 20 made the ride in 24 hours. I think less than half finished it at all

That said, last year I did it in 23:09, and could have easily done it faster. If the weather isn't bad, it's easily do-able
  • Options
    c.68 miles in c.3 hrs 20 solo yesterday, with about 900m of climbing overall

Suffered a bit on the way back for going out too quick, but that indicates the problem I have finding people to train with. Both clubs I've emailed about joining up with haven't even bothered mailing back.

Also, hit 50mph for the first time at the bottom of a hill. Actually let out a little 'wooop' when I did it. When I'm on the bike, my mental age drops to about 10 (it's usually at least 13)
  • Options
    Just plotted my route to Hastings and back on Saturday...200km but not too much climbing (well, 1000m each way...but nothing 'big' at any one time...).. Not really ridden since Ventoux in July so am going to struggle and will be half expecting to get a train back at some point.. Down to the cemetery to say 'hello' to my mate who got me in to cycling in the first place. Will hopefully report back on Sun/Mon...
  • Options
    On clubs I'm thinking of dipping in just to build up miles/pace/motivation... Since my last post on this thread I've kinda jumped up a level or two and now commute to my two places of work at c.15mph was 12.5mph a year or to back.
    Completed London to Cambridge and the next challenge is London to Paris... Or maybe Liege to London given our links...Perhaps there's an event in there?
    Some nutter at work is halfway to convincing me to do mallorca training camp next spring which will surely take me up a notch.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I want to do Mallorca as well. My mum lives on Fuerteventura, but there isn't much climbing there - Mallorca is a different kettle of fish.

Passed four cars this morning on Brixton Rd, and they weren't in traffic. Not been passed on my commute by another cyclist now for about two months
  • Options
    He's saying you do between 80-130k per day (I do that per week!) and return a different animal. I was at the Stephen Roache centre/hotel for an Irish wedding earlier this year - didn't do much cycling!
    Now, who's up for Valley => Liege four day trip?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He's saying you do between 80-130k per day (I do that per week!) and return a different animal. I was at the Stephen Roache centre/hotel for an Irish wedding earlier this year - didn't do much cycling!

There's no better way to get bike fit than get the miles in. When I was regularly riding 250 miles a week, that was when I was feeling the most improvement.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

There's no better way to get bike fit than get the miles in. When I was regularly riding 250 miles a week, that was when I was feeling the most improvement.
    100%

The more you train, the better you get. Sounds obvious, but so true.

I've never felt even close to 'overtraining' - I think unless you're putting in 500 miles a week for months, I think you're only going to see benefit.

One thing I'll say though is that the quality of riding is as, if not more important than the the quantity. There's a world of difference between riding 100 miles in 8 hours and 100 miles in 5 hours. I saw massive improvements when I started doing regular interval training as opposed to steady long rides.
  • Options
    Not so much fun but if you're in to training/getting better, invest in some rollers or a turbo trainer, buy or download one of the training programmes and do that 3 (at least) times a week...intervals, sprints, rest, tempo, hills etc.. Then you can just go out and ride what you want/when you want the rest of the time...well, works for me anyway...(tomorrow's 100+ miles will be in well over 8 hours though I expect...keep an eye out on Strava @Leroy Ambrose and @JohnBoyUK !‌ )
  • Options

Not so much fun but if you're in to training/getting better, invest in some rollers or a turbo trainer, buy or download one of the training programmes and do that 3 (at least) times a week...intervals, sprints, rest, tempo, hills etc.. Then you can just go out and ride what you want/when you want the rest of the time...well, works for me anyway...(tomorrow's 100+ miles will be in well over 8 hours though I expect...keep an eye out on Strava @Leroy Ambrose and @JohnBoyUK !‌ )

Good luck mate, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd be tempted to join you had my bike been in full working order. Really must get around to having it serviced again!
  • Options
    For those that can't afford Majorca, 20 years ago when i was riding lots I'd rent a caravan at Camber for a week off season and get out all day. No big hills but plenty of empty roads and no slowing down.
  • Options

I'll be on the turbo during the winter I think. Not a fan of riding on icy roads! Sufferfest videos are absolutely evil, but my God they get you results.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow! I think I'll go out and do some hills - my pal can't make it tomorrow, so I might get to ride them properly, without having to stop and wait for him.
  • Options
    PBs on Ide, Hosey and Polhill today. Was going to do Toys as well but it's no fun without having someone to beat :) Hit 50mph on a descent for the second time this week down Clarks Lane - absolutely shit myself on the bend before Pilgrims Way. Glad I didn't look down at the Garmin then, I would have fainted.
  • Options
    Did you make it to Hastings Charlton Charlie? Strava suspiciously quiet on that front... :)
  • Options

Did you make it to Hastings Charlton Charlie? Strava suspiciously quiet on that front... :)

He did. He posted a pic of him on Facebook looking absolutely broken!
  • Options
    @Leroy Ambrose I did make it and I was absolutely ruined by the end - it's amazing how much you lose when you have a few weeks (well, nearly two months for me) off over the summer (and you put on 5kg...). Decent, very bumpy, route down there (all lanes)...knew we had to make it back so just ambled along really although the terrain would have stopped us from pushing anyway... Trip to the cemetery and then down to the beach for fish and chips...talk of a few beers and the train back but put that to bed, left one of the guys down there and then two of us set off back...decided to stick to the A21 the entire way back...was OK until near Tunbridge Wells when it became more like cycling on a motorway, so thru TW, on to Tonbridge, Sevenoaks, Orpington and home... Started really feeling it at about 150km, everything went wrong at about 180km and then was in survival mode from Orpington home...couldn't feel my hands, couldn't stop cycling as my vision went when I stopped - totally drained... Fortunately my younger, fitter mate stayed with me to make sure I got home... Was out the house for 12hours pretty dead on and cycling for towards 9hrs or so....205km (130 miles) plus a few more cycling round the cemetery looking for the right spot (it's a big old cemetery...). Ate four helpings of roast dinner at friends' yesterday and then cycled in quite slowly today ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Christ - sounds monumental! Rides longer than 100 miles do my nut in - I've got the attention span of a goldfish anyway, so after about five hours I find it difficult to stick with it. Kudos for following through - must have been so tempting to jump on a train at Tunbridge Wells. Hate that stretch coming through Green St Green, Badgers Mount etc at the best of times - with 120 miles in my legs I think I'd have bailed.

I need to get out on a long ride next weekend cos I'm off the bike until Friday this week (working in jockoland). Thinking of doing Bognor - some sharp old climbs out on the South Downs that way, like Bury Hill.
  • Options
    Bradley Wiggins is the World Individual Time Trial Champion!!!

Awesome ride.
  • Options
    Absolute fucking animal. To do that to Tony Martin is utterly phenomenal. I love Jens, but Wiggins is going to annihilate that hour record next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts a km onto it.
  • Options
    Bloody love Brad, ended up saving Sky's season, hope we see the rainbow bands in TT at some point next season
  • Options
    Interviewer (To Brad): ''What was the first thing to cross your mind this morning brad?''

Wiggins: ''I needed a wee''
  • Options
    Instead of boring myself stupid at the Valley this afternoon, I went for a spin. PBs on Hosey, Ide and Polhill. Also in the top 0.05% on the Clarks Lane descent into Westerham. Thinking of attempting the world hour record next year after Wiggins beats it :)
  • Options
    Does anyone know what happens if you get a bike through ctw then leave your job shortly after. Does the whole amount become payable immediately?
  • Options
    Deducted from your last pay I believe. Check with your employer.
  • Options

Deducted from your last pay I believe. Check with your employer.

Yep, pretty sure thats the case.