Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Got a Trek in the end
  • Options
    Cycled in today for the first time in two months, as needed to test out some new wheels and a new set up...one word: terrifying. Special mention to driver of Black Cab LA51 VHE who tried to take me out on Waterloo Bridge... Will be cycling in France (up Ventoux 3 times in a day) on Saturday and then think I may stay off the bike for a while...

@Oakster ...at the moment, I would rather face a bear than all the f*cking numpty pedestrians who walk out in front of you, particularly on Tooley St...got to be one of the most dangerous cycling roads in London....
  • Options
    I'm lucky that by and large my route is pretty good, Blackheath, through Rotherhithe, southwark park, etc bus lanes tend to keep you fairly safe, cycle lanes not so much, although Tower Bridge can get a bit hairy. Would never any more use my road bike to commute though.
  • Options
    It is definitely getting worse out there. Bit of the p*ss take that Boris spent £6m out of London's meagre cycling budget on le Tour when he should be spending it on London's cyclists.
  • Options
    Rode from Woolwich to the city the other morning.
    Pretty scary stuff.
    Many road users still unable to accept that cyclists exist.
  • Options
    Unfortunately not just a London/UK thing - lot of hostility against cyclists from the redneck brigade out here - I keep picturing the closing scenes of Easy Rider except I'm on my roadie and the hillbilly's are driving jacked up F150s!
  • Options
    Did the Dunwich Dynamo at the weekend. 180km from Hackney to the Suffolk coast in pretty much nonstop pissing rain. Then 50k back to Ipswich in absolutely nonstop pissing rain. My feet still look like prunes. At least it's flat out that way...
  • Options
    I cycled up Mt Ventoux 3 times in one day on Sat.. Nearly 9 hours in the saddle, climbed 4,600 metres, burnt towards 5000 calories but - most importantly - raised around £8k (so far) for cancer charities...great 'fun' but extremely arduous...not helped by the top of the mountain being permanently covered in cold, wet cloud...especially miserable at the end of first ascent at 8am...no views of Provence all day from the top :-( Always wanted to do the Dunwich ride but fear that I would fall asleep...nice work @Leroy Ambrose
  • Options
    Bought a bike last week - first one I've owned in over twenty years. Making my debut commute to work tomorrow (a whole four miles each way), but feeling strangely nervous about it.
  • Options

Did the Dunwich Dynamo at the weekend. 180km from Hackney to the Suffolk coast in pretty much nonstop pissing rain. Then 50k back to Ipswich in absolutely nonstop pissing rain. My feet still look like prunes. At least it's flat out that way...

I also did that as well, I think I was just behind that storm you were in, certainly looked spectacular from behind it and the lightening did help light up the roads!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really want to cycle to work. (Blackheath to Kensington) I just don't think I could do it safely. If London were to really go for it and make cycling safe ie seperate height road for cyclists on almost every street, I would commute to work every day no question.

Almost like getting a motorbike though, I just have too much to lose!
  • Options
    @Uboat - good luck tomorrow...just take it bloomin easy, don't try and squeeze through any gaps between cars/lorries/pavements etc, keep your wits about you at junctions, wear a helmet and don't wear headphones... (oh, and don't go through red lights!)...
  • Options
    That's what I like to see Charlton Charlie. Unfortunately I see too many cyclists do what you just said don't do. Fair play.

I come into work on my scooter and it's a nightmare at the moment. Some days better than others. I have my eyes everywhere though and expect someone to walk out on me or pull out on me so have constantly got my hands on the breaks.
  • Options
    @O-Randy-Hunt‌ - I am the same mate - if I'm not cycling in to work, I commute on my Vespa (Greenwich to Cvt Gdn) and it is so bloomin stressful...hands always hovering over brakes....I like to think it makes me a better driver (when I do actually drive), as I am more aware and tolerant of everything that is going on around me, but am not sure that makes up for the stress related hair loss from the commute ;-)
  • Options

@Uboat - good luck tomorrow...just take it bloomin easy, don't try and squeeze through any gaps between cars/lorries/pavements etc, keep your wits about you at junctions, wear a helmet and don't wear headphones... (oh, and don't go through red lights!)...

Cheers. It's essentially a suburban>rural journey rather than the full on London experience. The main danger is probably getting run off the road on a country lane.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Cheers. It's essentially a suburban>rural journey rather than the full on London experience. The main danger is probably getting run off the road on a country lane.
    Whereabouts?
  • Options

I cycled up Mt Ventoux 3 times in one day on Sat.. Nearly 9 hours in the saddle, climbed 4,600 metres, burnt towards 5000 calories but - most importantly - raised around £8k (so far) for cancer charities...great 'fun' but extremely arduous...not helped by the top of the mountain being permanently covered in cold, wet cloud...especially miserable at the end of first ascent at 8am...no views of Provence all day from the top :-( Always wanted to do the Dunwich ride but fear that I would fall asleep...nice work @Leroy Ambrose

If it wasn't for the rain, and sodding about at stops because one of the blokes I was with was slow, I'd have done it in about 5 and a half hours. Might do it again next year if the weather's going to be good, and cycle back as well to make it worthwhile.

Ventoux three times is bloody good going. You should email Lance Armstrong and tell him :)

Doing the l'etape next year, if the tour passes that route it may include Ventoux.
  • Options
    Seen a specialized allez 2014 on eBay for £400. Looks in really good nick. Sound any good to you Lycra warriors?
  • Options
    The Allez range has about five different bikes in it, going up to 6 grand. I suspect from the price that it's the lowest end model. That retails new at around 600 quid, so probably not worth bothering with the hassle of getting it second hand and not knowing whether you're being sold a lemon. If you wait about a month, the 2015 bikes will be out and you'll be able to pick up the 2014 for about £500 brand new.

The bike itself is perfectly good though. Good entry level road bike.
  • Options

The Allez range has about five different bikes in it, going up to 6 grand. I suspect from the price that it's the lowest end model. That retails new at around 600 quid, so probably not worth bothering with the hassle of getting it second hand and not knowing whether you're being sold a lemon. If you wait about a month, the 2015 bikes will be out and you'll be able to pick up the 2014 for about £500 brand new.

The bike itself is perfectly good though. Good entry level road bike.

Not quite right Leroy.

The Allez is the aluminium brother of the carbon Tarmac which goes up to £6k. They have identical geometry, its just the difference in what the frame is made out of. Still a bloody good entry road bike but try and get an Allez with carbon forks, its a much more forgiving ride with a lot less road buzz. I loved riding my Allez until I flogged it. Sort of regret it now but hey, I've still got my carbon bike so cant complain.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn't there an s-works badged Allez that's a silly price? Thought there was one - I'm sure I saw one browsing their site a couple of weeks ago. Thinking of buying an entry level Venge, which would be the first Specialized I've owned so admittedly I'm not too familiar with their full range. I did test ride one of the 2012 models before buying my current bike and it was more than decent.
  • Options

Uboat said:

Whereabouts?
    Barnet out into Hertfordshire. Enjoyed the ride then legs almost gave way whilst trying to walk up some stairs, so obviously pretty out of shape.
  • Options
    Ha. You'll get used to it fairly quickly at that distance. Nice lanes out that way too.
  • Options
    New bike arrived yesterday. Was undecided between a bottom-end Specialized Venge and Cannondale Synapse 5. Went for the Cannondale in the end as I like my caad8 and I tend to do more long, steady paced rides than short, rapid ones.

Jesus Henry Christ, it's like shit off a shovel. Even with the stock wheels on it was ridiculously quick on the way home last night and way in this morning. When I put my Mavics on there I'll be flying.

Anyone who tells you there's no difference between a 1000 quid bike and a two grand one needs their nut examined.
  • Options
    Finally got myself my first road bike and the difference from my mountain bike is huge!

How do you lot tackle bumps or holes in the road? try to avoid ? or ride on through?
    I'm worried that I am spending more time looking at the road surface than what is actually happening in the road.
  • Options
    Small potholes you don't worry about. Larger ones you should avoid. For the smaller ones, take the weight off your saddle to lessen the impact on both the bike and your arris. The larger ones (I call them Instant Frame Adjusters) can seriously fuck both you and your bike up. If you watch the road ahead at an angle you can generally see them coming whilst maintaining good awareness of the traffic around you. One word of warning - be especially vigilant when it's been pissing down, Potholes in the wet can be much deeper than you think
  • Options

Finally got myself my first road bike and the difference from my mountain bike is huge!

How do you lot tackle bumps or holes in the road? try to avoid ? or ride on through?
    I'm worried that I am spending more time looking at the road surface than what is actually happening in the road.

What tyres have you got? If they aren't up too much pot holes and 700x23c tyres will see an awful lot of pinch punctures. If you are commuting or leisure riding I'd recommend you get a pair of gatorskins.
  • Options

What tyres have you got? If they aren't up too much pot holes and 700x23c tyres will see an awful lot of pinch punctures. If you are commuting or leisure riding I'd recommend you get a pair of gatorskins.
    Not sure. It's a spesh allez and pretty sure they're the orig tyres
  • Options

I had one as my first road bike. Really liked it. If they are the original tyres I'd definitely switch them out for gatorskins. They are doing them for £20.00 each on Wiggle at the moment.

• Options
    edited July 2014

I had one as my first road bike. Really liked it. If they are the original tyres I'd definitely switch them out for gatorskins. They are doing them for £20.00 each on Wiggle at the moment.

Ok cheers. Might have to hang on for another month. More than blown my beans this month!