Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Sage advice. Try putting 25s on there - the rims will take them and you'll have the clearance for it. Might not sound much, but 2mm can make a difference especially if you're not used to riding skinny tyres. Also, agree that the gatorskins are really good. I have Specialized Armadillos for winter - never punctured on them. Might want to check those our too.
  • Options
    I cant stand Gatorskins. Much prefer the 23mm Conti GP4000S. About as balanced a combination of minimal rolling resistance and puncture proofing as you can get.

Get yourself a track pump and make sure you pump your tyres before EVERY ride.

110-115psi in the back, 100-110psi in the front.
  • Options
    I ride 100 at the back, 90 at the front. Used to be much more than that when i was a fat bastard (130-120).

Couldn't get on with the GP4000S. Rode my last set of Gatorskins about 5000km without a single puncture (wore them bare in the end). Bought GP4000S - four flats in the space of just over a month. I found that they cut up something rotten. Of course, it could have just been a moody batch, but I had two flats each on front and back tyres - over three rides - and all were 'proper' flats (i.e. from gravel or sharp stones ratehr than pinch flats. Back on Gatorskins and no flats since March (stupid, stupid thing to say - fully expect a visit from the puncture fairy now)

I actually quite like the original Schwalbe Lugano's that came with the stock wheels on my CAAD8. They were pretty durable, and nice and grippy in winter
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I punctured 3 times in 3 weeks when I first put on gatorskins but then nothing for 6 months. Think it's just pure luck
  • Options
    Did 120k today with some slowpokes. Vigo Hill for the first time. Don't know what he fuss is about, it's only tough on one bit where it ramps up to about 20% - the rest isn't hard. The way my mate was going on about it you'd think it was Kent's answer to Ventoux
  • Options
    went out for the first time in 2 weeks after (the real) Ventoux...took it easy as have been boozing and eating for England since I got back....ended up posting some good times on most climbs and new PB on Star (which came after Cudham, Toys and Ide...)...who needs training eh? ;-) (*off to Google Vigo Hill as no idea about it...). First time in the lanes on new Zipps - they're unforgiving...not ideal on the south descent of Toys, as that surface is shocking...
  • Options
    Just about to embark on 10 days on the Oregon Coast and then inland to Bend. All mountain biking, roadie had to stay at home as the car is already doing wheelies due to the amount of luggage in the back - going to be interesting to see how cycling at sea level compares to the usual 4000ft+ back hone.
  • Options
    Just saw that - impressive overall average too with that amount of climbing. I just looked at Vigo Hill. It's steeper than I thought - but I only really struggled for 150m or so when it ramps up to about 22%. It's worth adding to a hill climb workout - but is quite a way from Brasted/Toys/Ide/Star etc. It's out near Wrotham/Horton Kirby way - I never go out that way. Maybe a sharpener towards the end of a ride out via Westerham and then back skirting Orpington and through Bromley?
  • Options

Did 120k today with some slowpokes. Vigo Hill for the first time. Don't know what he fuss is about, it's only tough on one bit where it ramps up to about 20% - the rest isn't hard. The way my mate was going on about it you'd think it was Kent's answer to Ventoux

Is that the road that goes down into Trottiscliffe? If so, I went DOWN that on Saturday on a ride out and the first part is so steep I thought I might topple over the handlebars. Do you stand up pedalling when going up hills like this? I'm hopeless at riding up hills! Hat off to you.
  • Options
    I had a blow out on Vigo Hill a couple of years ago, coming off the bottom at around 25-30mph. Managed to stay upright but shredded my rear tyre and unfortunately the rim of my near new Fulcrum 3s. That alone has put the fear of god into every descent I've come across since then...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Plumstead_Micky‌ I try and stay seated for as long as possible on every hill: low gear and spin the legs....that said, when it gets over 20% or so, that becomes very difficult and there is no choice but to stand up and pull on those handle bars... There's a few climbs on the Nth Yorks Moors where I had to just weave side to side across the road to try and get up it...not much fun at all....
  • Options

Is that the road that goes down into Trottiscliffe? If so, I went DOWN that on Saturday on a ride out and the first part is so steep I thought I might topple over the handlebars. Do you stand up pedalling when going up hills like this? I'm hopeless at riding up hills! Hat off to you.

Micky, a far cry from some of the beasts mentioned on here - but have you ever done Lakedale without standing?
    Difficult.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips on the hill climbing. Lakedake, Griffin Rd, Parkdale, Plum Lane. Spoilt for choice for hills in Plumstead! I think Tormount has a nice couple of hair pin bends on it.
  • Options

Yes, that's the one. I'd hate to go down that - I'd be on the anchors the whole way down. I had a blow out like JohnBoy last year (though admittedly without the spectacular tyre slash!) at the bottom of a hill that dumped me through a hedge and into a field at 60k/h - which contributes to me descending like an old woman on a Boris bike.

Climbing them is relatively easy for me (my mates hate that) - but I don't have the discipline to stay in the saddle long enough and am straight out of it when the grade gets to about 12%. The thing about climbing hills that you have to remember is that all hills end. All of them - even the ones that seem to go on forever.

You might be advised to look at your gearing if you're really struggling though. Could be that you aren't riding a compact, or a triple - not having a granny gear to go to when you're struggling isn't going to help.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I had a blow out on Vigo Hill a couple of years ago, coming off the bottom at around 25-30mph. Managed to stay upright but shredded my rear tyre and unfortunately the rim of my near new Fulcrum 3s. That alone has put the fear of god into every descent I've come across since then...

Ouch. That's absolutely evil.
  • Options

Yes, that's the one. I'd hate to go down that - I'd be on the anchors the whole way down. I had a blow out like JohnBoy last year (though admittedly without the spectacular tyre slash!) at the bottom of a hill that dumped me through a hedge and into a field at 60k/h - which contributes to me descending like an old woman on a Boris bike.

Climbing them is relatively easy for me (my mates hate that) - but I don't have the discipline to stay in the saddle long enough and am straight out of it when the grade gets to about 12%. The thing about climbing hills that you have to remember is that all hills end. All of them - even the ones that seem to go on forever.

You might be advised to look at your gearing if you're really struggling though. Could be that you aren't riding a compact, or a triple - not having a granny gear to go to when you're struggling isn't going to help.
    Yes I certainly kept a firm clamp on the brakes! Free wheeling down that hill is suicide. I think I'll just have to practice more, though I do have an ancient bike that is thirty years old. A 10 gear 'racer'. I'm intending to get a new bike through the cycle to work scheme, so I'm anxiously hoping that a more modern bike will improve my ability to climb hills.
  • Options

Yes I certainly kept a firm clamp on the brakes! Free wheeling down that hill is suicide. I think I'll just have to practice more, though I do have an ancient bike that is thirty years old. A 10 gear 'racer'. I'm intending to get a new bike through the cycle to work scheme, so I'm anxiously hoping that a more modern bike will improve my ability to climb hills.
    It will improve it. Probably by a substantial amount :). What budget do you have?
  • Options

It will improve it. Probably by a substantial amount :). What budget do you have?
    I'm pretty sure I can go to a grand under the cycle to work scheme. I have mainly been considering a hybrid as I use the Sustrans routes as well as the roads and I reckon a road bike will do my neck in with the riding position they have. I'd love to hear your suggestions though as you are a lot more knowledgeable on the subject than me! Cheers.
  • Options
    If you're going to do riding that isn't Road based, then yes - you'd be better off getting a hybrid. Road bikes don't stand up well to being punished off road, and skinny tyres and potholes will ruin you.

However, a hybrid will be slow as old Harry up hills, so you won't gain much benefit there. You can get a nice spec road bike for under a grand, but I don't really know anything about hybrids. If you're going down the road route, then Specialized and Cannondale are good brands and put decent kit on their £1000 bikes. They're by no means the only ones though, so might be a good idea to do a bit of research on some of the cycling forum sites for good recommendations - and visit your local bike shop to see what they recommend (and by local bike shop, I mean independent shop, not Evans or Halfords)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Leroy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just planned a route for today that takes in Vigo Hill, to see if it lives up to the hype it gets. Also means I get to cycle along pilgrims way for about eight or nine miles as well and get a 50 mile loop so it should be a good ride, but I'll report back later how hard I thought it was and if its got anything on the real Ventoux of the area; Titsey Hill
    Oakster said:

Just about to embark on 10 days on the Oregon Coast and then inland to Bend. All mountain biking, roadie had to stay at home as the car is already doing wheelies due to the amount of luggage in the back - going to be interesting to see how cycling at sea level compares to the usual 4000ft+ back hone.

That Sounds awesome Oakster. Having worked at a children's camp in Portland last summer in Portland, we had some friends who took us around all of Oregon and all I wanted during that time was my bike to explore the area. One of the most picturesque and delightful places I have had the pleasure to visit
  • Options
    @CAFC Luke - I think I've done Titsey a couple of times, on the way back from a Brighton run....it is a bit steep to say the least, but not impossible... Hardest hill I have done out that way is Rowdow, out the back of Otford...or maybe it was just a bad day, but I do remember suffering....
  • Options
    edited July 2014

@CAFC Luke - I think I've done Titsey a couple of times, on the way back from a Brighton run....it is a bit steep to say the least, but not impossible... Hardest hill I have done out that way is Rowdow, out the back of Otford...or maybe it was just a bad day, but I do remember suffering....

Ha Rowdow, now that my friends, is a b*tch. Its on the same Valley as Fackenden Lane, Old Terry's Lodge and Exedown but that one is by far the trickiest as its a constant ramp with no resting place, average gradient of 10% but gets steeper towards the top. The gradient goes past 25% in a few places too.

http://www.strava.com/segments/889841?oq=row

My nemesis was Brasted (Brasted Hill Road - not to be confused with Brasted Chart, which appears on Toys Hill!)

http://www.strava.com/segments/669344

Not particularly long or steep for that matter but there's a good 200 yards at over 20% which just fills the quads with lactic. Nice!
  • Options
    LOL - I love the elevation inconsistencies in Strava...

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Titsey's a pussycat compared to WhiteDown and Ranmore Common Road out towards Shere/Abinger Hammer in Surrey. They are truly horrendous climbs for the UK - the road surface is awful on both, and traction in winter is nigh on impossible. I like the look of Row Dow - similar to Vigo Hill and some nice sharp ramps on it. I might give that a go next time I'm out that way.
  • Options
    Along that same valley off Pilgrims Way...

Fackenden (between Shoreham Station and Pilgrims Way) - http://www.strava.com/segments/673613

Old Terry's Lodge - http://www.strava.com/activities/58680098/segments/1088062869

Exedown (at the other end of Pilgrims Way towards Wrotham) - http://www.strava.com/segments/648713

• Options
    @JohnBoyUK‌ - I've never cycled up Brasted Hill Road....always down it...that bit at the top, round the corner, scares the living daylights out of me going down...full on brakes...no idea whether I'd be able to cycle up it.... I've not tried any of the others you mention...and may well continue to avoid ;-)
  • Options

@JohnBoyUK‌ - I've never cycled up Brasted Hill Road....always down it...that bit at the top, round the corner, scares the living daylights out of me going down...full on brakes...no idea whether I'd be able to cycle up it.... I've not tried any of the others you mention...and may well continue to avoid ;-)

Yeah, as soon as you go round that left bend and the road drops away from you...my stomach is just churning at the thought of it. The first time I came down I was almost in tears through fear and ended up getting off the bike and walked down...only to slip on my cleats lol.
  • Options
    Having been out yesterday, and managed to climb Vigo hill, I agree with Leroy, and dont get all the fuss. I got to the top and was expecting a lot more from it, for it to kick again or add something more other than just a short steep section. I came back along pilgrims way, and up Starhill road into knockholt which whilst not steeper, was a longer and harder climb. this list of climbs all in the same area have all given me more challenges to go and attempt, so I'm sorted for the net couple of weeks. does anyone on this page do any of the club hill climbs in the region?
  • Options
    @CAFC Luke - have never done a club climb, but can point you in the direction of Yorks Hill if you want to try the Catford Hill Climb....just 'round the back' of Ide Hill...short and sharp... Have you joined the CL group on Strava yet?