Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• ColinTat said:

jamescafc said:

Any chance I can pinch your route?

Sort of made it up as I went along.

Sidcup to Greenhithe via Crayford and the Dartford Bridge.
    Greenhithe to Gravesend via Ebbsfleet FC and the Station Car Parks
    Gravesend to Chatham
    At Chatham pick up the A2 and pass through Rainham, Sittingbourne and Faversham
    Left onto I think the A299 (bit hairy) turn off for Seasalter and then signs to Whitstable.
    Whitstable to Herne Bay
    Herne bay to Reculver
    Reculver to Margate via Innis Bay and Westgate (Viking Coastal Path)
    I occasionaly cycle to Canterbury for work... Next time if you take the last left before the Brenley Corner roundabout - just after Faversham - you can ride all the way to Seasalter without taking the A299. If you miss the left just take the first left on Brenley Corner roundabout; a little lane called Homestall Lane directly before the on ramp for the A299. You'll also then go past a pub called the Freewheel near Graveney, catering specifically for cyclists.
    Cheers. The road to Seasalter was actually what I was aiming for, but missed it and couldn't be bothered to turn back.

Am going again in Saturday and extending the route round via Broadstairs, Ramsgate and ending up in Sandwich.
  • Sounds fun, enjoy! Sandwich has a great Deli/Wine bar at the farthest end of town called Rosa's Vinarium. The food is simple but good, but the Italian red wine list is cool and prices are at least a third of London prices for the bottle: He doesn't charge a traditional mark up once you get past his house wines, or at least he didn't. Sandwich is lovely looking town but the rest of it's establishments are nice enough but a bit boring in my previous experiences. Great place to visit when you've cycled your way there though.

I need to be more adventurous and cycle down to Dover. It's fun cycling near your route and then avoiding Canterbury by cutting down through Chilham, then I always get lost, but around Lydden to Dover the countryside's stunning. It's just a route on small roads that you can miss your turnings easily.
  • SESEVEN said:

Leroy, good luck in the world's, when is it?

Cheers. They're on the August Bank Holiday weekend - so travelling is going to be 'fun'... :grimace:
  • Doing the BHF London to Brighton next Sunday (18th), so hoping for good weather! Worse part sounds like the 7am start at Clapham.
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Andrew-Oakey

• I thought the London to Brighton was in September?
  • Dazzler21 said:

I thought the London to Brighton was in September?

There's two of them. The September event is the better ride, because it isn't as packed as the June one. I won it last year. Because I'm sad enough to race even at charity events :trollface:
  • Dazzler21 said:

I thought the London to Brighton was in September?

There's two of them. The September event is the better ride, because it isn't as packed as the June one. I won it last year. Because I'm sad enough to race even at charity events :trollface:
    Nothing wrong with trying your best at anything.

What are the logistics for getting into London as it's a no bikes on trains day isn't it?
    -
    I'd have to do London -> Brighton -> Horsham so nearer 80-90 miles! (September one I will try and do I think.)
  • I did there and back. It's only about 130 miles both ways, so went hard on the way out, pootled back. It leaves from Clapham COmmon, first riders off about 6:30 I think
  • Convinced my brother-in-law to that the few of us cycling up there in his car as he has a 3 bike, bike rack. If you haven't got a car available it is a crazy situation that you can't take bikes on the trains or the buses (we're talking a 7am start, not as if bikes on the trains will cause a major problem)
  • Whoop whoop. Going to collect my new bike on Tuesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just picked up my first bike since my Raleigh Chopper back in the 70's. Went for a hybrid but really don't want to ride it on the road too much, felt so vulnerable on the way back from the shop.

Got a couple of places lined up to go to ride, anyone got any recommendations?
  • Just picked up my first bike since my Raleigh Chopper back in the 70's. Went for a hybrid but really don't want to ride it on the road too much, felt so vulnerable on the way back from the shop.

Felt uncomfortable on the roads when I first started out so I used to get out really early on a Saturday or Sunday as there isn't too much in the way of traffic gradually got more used to it and more confident.

Route wise I'd suggest doing Thames path down to Greenwich or beyond as a good starter. Its not a mammoth ride by any means, but great to get used to gears, handling etc.

Felt uncomfortable on the roads when I first started out so I used to get out really early on a Saturday or Sunday as there isn't too much in the way of traffic gradually got more used to it and more confident.

Route wise I'd suggest doing Thames path down to Greenwich or beyond as a good starter. Its not a mammoth ride by any means, but great to get used to gears, handling etc.

Cheers, will give that a try.

Yeah - shared use paths are really good for getting uses to the bike. Be careful of dogshit alley though (the bit near wood wharf) as unless it's changed dramatically in the last ten years, there uses to be loads of glass down there (as well as dogshit)

Also agree with getting out earlier on Saturdays and Sundays. Our club does a wide awake club ride at 6am on a Saturday - sometimes don't encounter a single car on the lanes until about 8 o'clock (it is up north, but the same applies out in Kent and Surrey)

Also try Greenwich Park? That would be nice to ride in and traffic obviously confined to just a couple of roads

Yeah - shared use paths are really good for getting uses to the bike. Be careful of dogshit alley though (the bit near wood wharf) as unless it's changed dramatically in the last ten years, there uses to be loads of glass down there (as well as dogshit)

Also agree with getting out earlier on Saturdays and Sundays. Our club does a wide awake club ride at 6am on a Saturday - sometimes don't encounter a single car on the lanes until about 8 o'clock (it is up north, but the same applies out in Kent and Surrey)

Also try Greenwich Park? That would be nice to ride in and traffic obviously confined to just a couple of roads
    Cheers, will try doing early morning runs at the weekend.
  • edited June 2017

Just picked up my first bike since my Raleigh Chopper back in the 70's. Went for a hybrid but really don't want to ride it on the road too much, felt so vulnerable on the way back from the shop.

Cheers, will try doing early morning runs at the weekend.
    Don't forget the tight lycra. White is very fashionable at the moment.
  • Green's not my colour.
  • Green's not my colour.

you'll appreciate it when the snots flowing.
  • Sponsored links:

Dave, what Local Authority Area do you live in? Many offer free on road training which can be really good building your confidence and highlighting good road position etc. I used to be an instructor myself.
  • It's bike week 2017.

www.bikeweek.org.uk
  • olster said:

Just picked up my first bike since my Raleigh Chopper back in the 70's. Went for a hybrid but really don't want to ride it on the road too much, felt so vulnerable on the way back from the shop.

Dave, what Local Authority Area do you live in? Many offer free on road training which can be really good building your confidence and highlighting good road position etc. I used to be an instructor myself.
    Bexley. My wife took my daughter to a session at one recently in Brampton Rd and said they were really good. Wasn't road training but they taught her how to ride. We'd been trying for ages but she just wasn't confident. Had her riding around in 10 minutes.

Might try and see if they do it, cheers.
  • Is that Bikeability @DaveMehmet ?

Bloke at my club does that for kids and adults alike - apparently really useful, even if you can ride a bike but are lacking a bit of experience/skill on the road. Having a hybrid will put you at an advantage to people on a racer anyway because they're far more stable and easier to handle
  • Is that Bikeability @DaveMehmet ?

Bloke at my club does that for kids and adults alike - apparently really useful, even if you can ride a bike but are lacking a bit of experience/skill on the road. Having a hybrid will put you at an advantage to people on a racer anyway because they're far more stable and easier to handle

I think it is mate. My wife said they were really good. I'm sure I'll get more confident the more I use it, it just felt strange on the road which I suppose is not surprising considering it was over 35 years ago since the last time!
  • You'll be surprised at the difference between 'regular' cycling - i.e. out on quiet lanes and in parks and commuting or riding on roads in cities. I'm more on edge commuting than I am in a race with 80 other riders tearing round at 30mph. Definitely get used to it again first before doing anything stressful on busy roads - you might never get back on the bike again otherwise :smiley:
  • edited June 2017
    TFL do useful guides and maps that show signed cycle routes, quieter routes, greenways etc. And they're free.
    Well worth getting to plot routes until your confidence increases. Which it will.

tfl.gov.uk/forms/12419.aspx
  • iainment said:

TFL do useful guides and maps that show signed cycle routes, quieter routes, greenways etc. And they're free.
    Well worth getting to plot routes until your confidence increases. Which it will.

tfl.gov.uk/forms/12419.aspx

Cheers
  • edited June 2017
    @DaveMehmet, there's a cycling club based at Eltham Park called Limited Edition Cycling and they run a great 'fit camp' a few times a year which works at getting beginner cyclists on the road and then builds up their confidence.

I used to ride with them about 6-7 years ago now and they were a decent bunch and would recommend them for beginners. However, once you get up to speed, you'll find they dont cater as much for the advanced cyclist but they'll do you ok up to that point.
  • My daughter passed her bikeability last week at school. She's been regularly riding with her Mum and her Grandparents over the last year and is now confident enough on the roads and in the lanes. I said I'd try and get out with her a bit more too.