Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bullying at school

13»

Comments

• Options
    My daughter was bullied at primary school, I volunteered to help out on a school trip and rather childishly, some may think, made sure I was staring at the girl involved (she was about 10 at the time) every time she looked up for virtually the whole day. In the end she complained to a teacher that she was feeling sick and never bothered my daughter again.
    The other way I told her to deal with it was with humour, sometimes if you can make the other person look silly and people around laugh at them they will back off and pick on someone else. Not easy if your son is not confident to do that.
    I really hope you find a solution as the few months prior to the school trip were horrible and as a mum (or dad) all you want to do is protect your kids and when the kids are young and in this situation it isn't always a simple thing to do.
  • Options

My daughter was bullied at primary school, I volunteered to help out on a school trip and rather childishly, some may think, made sure I was staring at the girl involved (she was about 10 at the time) every time she looked up for virtually the whole day. In the end she complained to a teacher that she was feeling sick and never bothered my daughter again.

Bowie, I hope you don't mind me adding for clarity that you are female and not male.

• Options
    uncle said:

Go round and see the dad of the kid, give him a clump and tell him every time his son bullies he will get more. He will soon stop his son.

yes but, and what if, his dad's a psycho spanner and sends me home with my head shoved up my arse. My boy will be well impressed.
  • Options

uncle said:

Go round and see the dad of the kid, give him a clump and tell him every time his son bullies he will get more. He will soon stop his son.

yes but, and what if, his dad's a psycho spanner and sends me home with my head shoved up my arse. My boy will be well impressed.

bring mates
  • Options
    No problem AFKA should have made that clear myself :)
  • Options
    Thats the sort of thing i would find myself doing Bowie... then offering the dad out if that didnt work! (Just joking).
  • Options

uncle said:

You'll be able to tell if the windows are boarded up
  • Options
    Well, my son went to his first Aikido lesson last night and loved every minute of it.

At the Mottingham Methodist hall, monday nights in term time, 5.30 'til 7pm, £5. (7-15 year olds)
    A nice lady teacher and a nice small bunch of kids.
  • Options
    unlike some of those silly karate ones, aikido actually works , good luck
  • Options
    Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

uncle said:

bring mates
    Bit off topic but when I was playing rugby our clubhouse was regularly broken into. We found out who it was and where he lived so the first and second team second rows paid him and his dad a visit. When his dad was confronted by four ugly as fcuk blokes whose average height was 6'7" and 18 stone, he soon convinced his son of the error of his ways...Intimidation can work in certain situations
  • Options

bring mates

Bit off topic but when I was playing rugby our clubhouse was regularly broken into. We found out who it was and where he lived so the first and second team second rows paid him and his dad a visit. When his dad was confronted by four ugly as fcuk blokes whose average height was 6'7" and 18 stone, he soon convinced his son of the error of his ways...Intimidation can work in certain situations

my adonis like physique and looks of Brad Pitt put paid to anything like that!
  • Options
    My advice (like some others) is get your kid to martial arts lessons as bullies steer clear of those ones!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    not always true sadly i know a kid was into karate and breaking bits of wood who got kicked in when he tried it with someone wiith a relevant art
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    My son was verbally abused at the school,for a long while in year 3.He tried to do what the teachers said which was reporting it, but as he was about a foot taller than the the bully he wasn't taken seriously. I was called to the school and I am a big lad (6f4 and 18 stone) and the teacher looked like she was burst out laughing,with the small lad with his puny Dad.So it carried on.The boy was getting quite upset so I told him to take the time honoured option and stick one on the boy.He was worried about getting in trouble.I said he would get told off but it would stop. Next trick I have the Police at my door and the boy was threatened with all sorts!!! No one has bothered him since,now year 6,but be careful about fighting back if you dont want the Police involved!
  • Options
    In 21st Century Britain (and even 20th Century Britain to be fair) the bully is the victim and the real victim is the one punished should an attempt be made to exact any form of retribution on the bully.
  • Options
    agreed with many on here that its really the retaliation on the bully which is treated more severley than the bully themselves. Its ridiculous
  • Options

bring mates

my adonis like physique and looks of Brad Pitt put paid to anything like that!

Not forgetting your unique sense of humour :-)
  • Options

Schools and teachers know exactly what goes on and should be ashamed if they do not stamp it out. It's easy. Zero and I mean zero tolerance. One strike and you're out. Feel really sorry for kids that are bullied. Hope it works out well for those of you worried about your children.

Sorry but this is delusional.

What constitutes bullying?

A sly word in the lunch queue?
    Nasty comments on Facebook (which the school has no jurisdiction over)
    A punch on the road to school?

You want to exclude a child for saying a sly dig, or a 13 year old who thinks he is making a joke, but the receiver sees as/calls bullying?

What constitutes one strike?

Where would you like the child who has been excluded to go? (Remember the law that requires education/apprenticeship to 17)(18 by 2015)

You want to have a dig at teachers and schools for not being able to stamp it out?
    Then why don't you write the definitive book and enlighten those of us in the real world.

When teachers/schools see something definitive, then exclusions follow. It is a core declaration of every school.

But it is a far more complex issue than any 'simple' solution voiced on a football forum.