Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

wilson " we're all hurting "

Comments

• Options
    It would be nice to have someone 70% as good as reid.
  • Options

"But we tried to play the way that we've been playing and it didn't fall for us"
    In other words they were under instructions to play in a certain way. Unfortunately that "way" wasn't appropriate on this occasion, with the players available. It wasn't working and it should have been changed far earlier. I don't blame Wilson for the past 50 years of crappy performances against Millwall. We need to stop being so bloody terrified of them, and just go for them, hell for leather from the outset. The fact we didn't was down to tactics, team selection and formation, not the players.

rubbish!

as kevin kilbane said on motd2, once the players get over that white line it's their responsibility and I tend to agree.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

"But we tried to play the way that we've been playing and it didn't fall for us"
    In other words they were under instructions to play in a certain way. Unfortunately that "way" wasn't appropriate on this occasion, with the players available. It wasn't working and it should have been changed far earlier. I don't blame Wilson for the past 50 years of crappy performances against Millwall. We need to stop being so bloody terrified of them, and just go for them, hell for leather from the outset. The fact we didn't was down to tactics, team selection and formation, not the players.

rubbish!

as kevin kilbane said on motd2, once the players get over that white line it's their responsibility and I tend to agree.
    Really? Surely they are provided with a game plan by the manager and coaching team and they are expected to keep to it?
  • Options

Tactically we were found out on Saturday, I guess Millwall had noticed how we lined up in the previous few games, and came up with a system to defeat us, so it's too simplistic to blame lack of effort.

what, worked out our style of play, the cunning b'stards, how could they stoop so low?

maybe I'm thick but what's all this difficulty in playing different systems? I understand players may have a preference but surely it's a simple game. stop your opponents scoring and score yourselves, are the players that thick?

• Options
    Lawrie's an honest guy and proud to play for Charlton. Himself & JJ are 100% comitted to the cause & I know JJ will be gutted at the result & performance on Sat.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    if everyone is hurting and so gutted, why then do these woeful performances happen time and time again? you could bet your house on the return fixture at their place will be exactly the same, as were the fixtures last season and so will the fixtures next season and so on, assuming where still in the same division, that is?
  • Options
    At the end of last season , I asked CP for better results in our derby games this season - given that we had been beaten twice by the nigels, once by the spanners, and once by Watford, and all the rest were draws.

He said, "we have over-achieved this season" - so I don't think it's a big issue for him, he probably sees all games as potential survival points, regardless of their significance to the fans.
  • Options
    I went to a Q and A with Gary Mabutt last year and although a boring fella he said that the players don't change what the mgr says, he was saying that a mgr I think it was Gross was toilet and that the players didn't agree with his tactics, but although they could see it was not working they never changed it , they were paid to do what he said so they did

I questioned him on how he can pin himself as mr Spurs when ultimately he was willing to let spurs suffer to prove a point
  • Options
    he wasn't as sarcastic honest as i'd have been

"you could tell how much this derby meant to the fans , when we came out to a packed stadium and the electric atmosphere that came with it , i feel ashamed i couldn't perform with that wall of noise as an inspiration to me, playing in a cauldron like that is one of the reasons i love the game so much but i'm sure the travelling masses will get their reward at Burnley this week "

• Options

if everyone is hurting and so gutted, why then do these woeful performances happen time and time again? you could bet your house on the return fixture at their place will be exactly the same, as were the fixtures last season and so will the fixtures next season and so on, assuming where still in the same division, that is?

We drew 0-0 against them at their place last season and actually battled.

Saturday was a shit game of football between two very shit footballing sides.

You are getting yourself really worked up. Calm down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

and your not addressing the problem we perform pathetically everything time we play them? when was the last time we did the double over them?

and you think 0-0 is as good as it gets do you?

don't tell me to calm down, I'm perfectly calm. if this was the first time it happened then fair enough but it ain't, it's every bl@@dy time?

name me an exhilarating performance by us when we trounced stonewall?

• Options
    the last time we done the double over millwall was 95/96 season

this is the third season since then we have been in the same league

they haven't done the double over us since 1992/93 this is the 6th season since they completed that double
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ok....but calm down.

We've had different managers and players involved so there's clearly not an obvious science behind our shit record.

The reason we lost Saturday is that our game plan and tactics were woeful.

A 0-0 draw last season against them was a pretty good result in the context of things as their home record was decent. Even our fans made a bit of noise.

Considering we haven't played them for years our recent record against them is what...2 draws and 3 loses? I'd imagine we have worse records against other teams in our league. We just notice it more cos of who they are.
  • Options

Thought the match at the den last season was equally, if not more sh*t tbh. Don't recollect any passing, even (dare I say it) by the back 4 near the semi circle. Atmosphere on the other hand.....
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Thought the match at the den last season was equally, if not more sh*t tbh. Don't recollect any passing, even (dare I say it) by the back 4 near the semi circle. Atmosphere on the other hand.....
    Yep, it was crap but at least we battled and we were away so the initiative to attack was with them. At the time we were all pretty happy with a point.
  • Options
    The only consistent factor between the two clubs in the history of this fixture is the balls out derby atmosphere that Millwall create and the powder puff waiting-for-something-to-happen atmosphere that sits among Charlton fans. Sad, but true.
  • Options

dont think you are right about last seasons game at the den.they were bang in form and while we never looked like winning that was one of the hardest fought points of last season.thought they showed real commitment that day.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Not sure it is true. Millwall fans were very quiet when we last went there and they didn't make a peep until they scored at the 4-0.

Atmosphere at the den is poor and a myth.
  • Options
    We'll see how they go about their business on Saturday, talking the talk is cheap, walking the walk .. etc etc .. however, if Powell insists on sending out a side lacking some of our better attacking players we'll come away with nothing .. I don't mind heavy defeats just so long as the players put some heart and bottle into their performances.
  • Options

We'll see how they go about their business on Saturday, talking the talk is cheap, walking the walk .. etc etc .. however, if Powell insists on sending out a side lacking some of our better attacking players we'll come away with nothing .. I don't mind heavy defeats just so long as the players put some heart and bottle into their performances.

perfectly put lincs. heart and bottle should be the minimum every week, anything else is a bonus
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The same side (minus the injured Yann) beat Leicester in a highly entertaining match.
  • Options
    Exasperated by Charlton but not usually this early in the season. It would be just like the bastards to play the opposition off the field on Saturday...
  • Options
    Hope that's a premonition soapy.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Hope that's a premonition soapy.

I had a premonition last week AUN and told you to put the Grey Goose on ice :-( Sorry about that but hope it numbed the pain. This week I am keeping schtum although it will be typical Charlton to get something at Turf Moor and hopefully lightening can strike twice after last years smash and grab result. You going?
  • Options
    Not enough Grey Goose in the world to numb the pain of that abject performance RC mate. As for Saturday I didn't have it marked down as a game I'd bother with but strangely, after Millwall I'm compelled to attend so yes, I'm making the journey. My expectations are low and I foresee a lonely train ride home but, now is the time to support Chris and the boys. I never leave a man behind.
  • Options
    Good man, I was considering it but family commitments have taken priority. If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful pie and a pint the cricket club next door is worth a visit. Have a good one and give them a shout for me. COYR
  • Options
    If there's a veggie pie then that'll do me! I'll carry your spirit with me.
  • Options
    Wilson should be apologising for yet another crap performance, the guy is well out of his depth.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    What can the players do? They have to give interviews, they have to answer the questions that are put to them and none of them are PR Consultants and few of them are highly educated.

I can probably only think of a handful of footballers, ever, that could answer questions with insightful statements. Football is, at it's most fundamental level, very simple and there is only so many ways a footballer can answer a question.

The alternative is that they don't give interviews. I'm sure they could all provide very interesting discussions about their friends, their houses and their cars, but if the interviewer asks "How are the players feeling after losing to our local rivals" there is not much that scope for anything other than the usual cliches!

I also don't think that anyone involved with the playing staff didn't care about this game. It just didn't pan out the way we wanted it to. If we'd scored first - and we did have a few half chances or if that deflected goal didn't go in we might have won and then the whole atmosphere would have been different.

I suspect that we will go on to get a couple of decent results in October but we do need to remember that just because we lost doesn't mean that the players didn't want to win. Remember that the Millwall players wanted to win also, and they weren't very good either!
  • Options
    exactly kha, it was an interview. he didnt come out and say it off his own back, cos he probably realises how pointless it would be.