Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby Sack Nigel Clough

Comments

• Options
    Appleton?
  • Options
    Bizarre decision.
  • Options

Is still funny when he's unemployed?
  • Options
    Wow thats just a crazy decision... Could see Derby doing a Blackburn / Middlesbrough now.

i.e. Start off well, sack their manager and see a dramatic drop down the league
  • Options

The sad thing is that he's been working on a small budget and had to bring some cracking young players through.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/derby-county/10205855/Derby-County-manager-Nigel-Clough-happy-to-follow-dads-lead-in-bid-to-launch-promotion-push.html

Sounds a familiar scenario which CP can relate to but given the chance would he want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire?
  • Options
    Pulis will go there.

If they come in for CP, TJ will ask for £40mill compensation anyway.

Therefore, CP won't be going anywhere.
  • Options
    Pulis? Urgh
  • Options
    Steve McLaren ?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Steve McLaren ?

Didn't he walk out on them about 2 years ago as the funds Forest promised did not materialise?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't Derby bought a lot of players over recent seasons to find themselves in no better position than they were when they first appointed Clough?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Derby have already played 4 of the top 6. The three teams they've faced in the bottom half are Millwall, Yeovil and Bolton, all away, from which they picked up 7 points.

QPR, by comparison, have played 5 of the bottom 7.

One win and Derby could be 8th.

They have a thin squad hit by injuries too.

So, given all of the above, such a decision can only have been made with a replacement already tapped up.

Those that wanted Clough out might be careful what they wish for especially if Tony Pulis is that man.

• Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

Steve McLaren ?

Didn't he walk out on them about 2 years ago as the funds Forest promised did not materialise?
    Yeah but clough was Derby manager...
  • Options
    Please God we don't lose Powell to Derby.
  • Options
    I really don't think CP is on Derbys radar or will be sacked or will resign.
  • Options
    blimey a really poor sacking by derbys board!
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Makes you wonder how the hell Powell keeps his job ....after what we are witnessing

Yeah, so you keep on saying, endlessly and tediously.

And who, exactly would come to us that would be better given our situation?
  • Options
    According to a few derby fans his criticisms of clough are exactly the same ones we have of Powell. No plan b, bad with substitutions, conservative football and the tendency to sit on a 1-0 lead.
  • Options

I think your wrong mate tbh , he is a young mgr with a half decent credible track record , if he stays here now then he jepordises that , he can walk away easy and I think the time is upon us that this will happen ,

he has tried and gave his all he has a long managerial career ahead of him get sacked by these pricks and that's shortened

I hate to say it, nla but this is what were saying in the car on the long drive home tonight.

They love him at Pride Park - and who wouldn't ?

• Options

just read that they have lost 4 games this season - inc Leicecter, Reading & Forest.

we lose 3 on the trot, also losing to our rivals (but at home, not away) playing very poorly into the bargain , and some people think its ok.

And you think we should be blaming the Manager or the owners who have made NO funds available to strengthen a thin squad of players and have not seen fit to discuss the contracts of young men who gave their all for our Club over the past 2 seasons ?

I'm gobsmacked, golfie.

But not surprised.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

just read that they have lost 4 games this season - inc Leicecter, Reading & Forest.

we lose 3 on the trot, also losing to our rivals (but at home, not away) playing very poorly into the bargain , and some people think its ok.

And you think we should be blaming the Manager or the owners who have made NO funds available to strengthen a thin squad of players and have not seen fit to discuss the contracts of young men who gave their all for our Club over the past 2 seasons ?

I'm gobsmacked, golfie.

But not surprised.

How much more debt do you think the club should run up (on the basis that the owners just don't have any spare money to give away) on buying players?

When you answer (and it is a genuine question) please remember that there are going to be very real punishments from next season for the clubs that lose too much money. I'm including paying the players more to extend their contracts.
  • Options
    KHA, one might also ask who they might borrow the money from?
  • Options
    But KHA if you have no means to realistically run a football club just 2-3 years after acquiring it, then why the hell did you buy it in the first place ?

It isn't to watch the football, because those that own it either rarely, or if ever have watched.
  • Options
    It was to sell the valley and rent a souless theatre and the do one with any money it makes
  • Options

It was to sell the valley and rent a souless theatre and the do one with any money it makes

This.

What gets me is that it seems that Murray and the old board were using this option as a selling tool.
  • Options
    nla is I'm sorry to say spot on I fear. I can't help feeling that "end game" is fast approaching one way or another although I'm far from certain which way the mop will flop.
  • Options

But KHA if you have no means to realistically run a football club just 2-3 years after acquiring it, then why the hell did you buy it in the first place ?

It isn't to watch the football, because those that own it either rarely, or if ever have watched.

Just Gamblers,chancers mate.

Take a look at this article about Paul Kemsley.A friend i believe of Jimenez and part of the cockney mafia. The last paragraph sums these kinds of people up.

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2013/03/27/british-business-star-loses-bid-to-shield-u-s-assets/?mod=WSJBlog

And I guess for someone like slater it would be even harder to make anything stick.

• Options

I'm gobsmacked, golfie.

But not surprised.

How much more debt do you think the club should run up (on the basis that the owners just don't have any spare money to give away) on buying players?

When you answer (and it is a genuine question) please remember that there are going to be very real punishments from next season for the clubs that lose too much money. I'm including paying the players more to extend their contracts.
    How much should they have put in over the summer to push on for the top six ? Don't know and it depends how many more top quality players people think were needed...
    How much to invest now and how much more in January to ensure we avoid the car crash called relegation?!
    More very soon from the Trust on FFP and CAFC - we await comment from the club on our latest piece...
    But just a little teaser to whet your appetite: CAFC are nowhere near the upper limits of FFP ...even if we had retained the services of Fuller

• Options
    I like Clough, He always had a strong team at Derby and they played good football. Should never of been sacked.
  • Options
    The guy on SSN who was in the cycling helmet said "Pulis plays good football" made me laugh.