Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England - The Road To Brazil .. .Or not

Comments

• Options
    Ha, true.

I've visions already of pervy cameramen seeking out exotic beauties swaying behind the goal to the samba beat.

Bring it on
  • Options
    Superb match and a decent atmosphere. Great result, and qualification not sealed until 2 minutes before the end kept it tense all the way.

Montenegro 2 Moldova 5 - WTF?
  • Options

Ha, true.

I've visions already of pervy cameramen seeking out exotic beauties swaying behind the goal to the samba beat.

Bring it on

Don't let the wife see you get too enthused though - especially if she's Argentinian!
  • Options
    Argentinian ? Mines a Scorpio
  • Options
    Qualification secured.........just! Let`s be honest here, the group draw could hardly have been more favourable to England could it? 3 out of the last 4 games at home!

The younger players coming in have given us hope and the standard and style of football has improved considerably. We are not seeded though so it will be a struggle to get out of the group stage.

Wasn`t convinced by Hodgson and a year ago I wanted him sacked after the Euros as his football was fucking dire, defensive crap. Credit to him though for turning it around and giving the fans some fast flowing, exciting, attacking football to watch.

Still, a brilliant opportunity for the fans to go out there and have a party. I think it`s going to be the best tournament for years!
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

.............Still, a brilliant opportunity for the fans to go out there and have a party. I think it`s going to be the best tournament for years!

Money had better be no object then otherwise they had better start saving hard because from what I understand it is going to cost an arm and a leg.
  • Options
    I think with it being in Brazil, the expectation is off a young group of players, whilst Lamps and Gerrard know its their last chance. Think we will do quite well.
  • Options
    Seeded Teams; Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Colombia, Uruguay/Holland.
  • Options

Seeded Teams; Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Colombia, Uruguay/Holland.

Going to be some big teams in together then.

Presume we will hope to get the Swiss out of anyone...
  • Options
    I would not mind getting in Belgium's group, they are a good side but very inexperienced at major tournaments and could easily freeze up on the big stage.

Well, you have to cling on to something!

And how the feck are the Swiss seeded?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

E-cafc said:

.............Still, a brilliant opportunity for the fans to go out there and have a party. I think it`s going to be the best tournament
    for years!

Money had better be no object then otherwise they had better start saving hard because from what I understand it is going to cost an arm and a leg.
    Agree, I can`t afford to go but plenty of people can and money will be no object to them! Yes it is going to be expensive but people will still go.

• Options
    Can't see being unseeded as a disadvantage...can remember France not scoring a single goal in their weak group. It's the world cup, you have to beat big teams at some stage.
  • Options
    I see that all the Rooney haters have been pretty quiet recently....
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    cafctom said:

7 goals in 10 matches in qualifiaction , can't argue with that , we are knackered up front without a fit Wayne Rooney.

I think he's on 38 goals now for England , would love him to beat Bobby Charlton's record of 49 , Lineker got 48 i think ( missed a penalty v Brazil).

• Options

cafctom said:

7 goals in 10 matches in qualifiaction , can't argue with that , we are knackered up front without a fit Wayne Rooney.

I don't think you can question his desire to play and do well for the country (probably more than for Man U in recent months!) - probably has that more than most players.

Unfortunately people will look at his red card in 06 and the heat of the moment frustration comment in 2010 after the Algeria game.

• Options
    cafctom said:

He has done well - but he has usually played well in Qualifiers anyway, it's the Tournaments themselves where the big problems gave been.

He did well at Euro 2004 but has been anonymous at the last three big tournaments, he has got to get it right in Brazil, it could easily be his last World Cup finals.
  • Options
    He played two games in Euro 2012 and scored the winning goal against Ukraine which got us out the group.

I think its very unlikely that he will be out of the picture come Russia 2018. He will only be 31 when that comes around and I can't see many top class strikers coming through in the next four years to dislodge him.
  • Options
    Rooney has either been injured or suspended for major tourneys hasn't he? Apart from 2004 I can't remember him being fully fit and raring to go
  • Options
    cafctom said:

He played two games in Euro 2012 and scored the winning goal against Ukraine which got us out the group.

I think its very unlikely that he will be out of the picture come Russia 2018. He will only be 31 when that comes around and I can't see many top class strikers coming through in the next four years to dislodge him.

Couple of points there...

1) The winner against Ukraine was a goal line tap in, it was probably going in anyway, was not exactly a moment of genius!

2) Why did he miss the first two games? Because he was sent off vs Macedonia for a stupid, reckless off the ball kick at a defender which nearly cost us the game.

3) By 2018 Rooney will have been playing top-class football - averaging 50+ games per season for club and country - for 15 long, hard seasons, so will be more like a 35 year old than a 31 year old in footballing terms.

His fitness is not the best and he gains weight easily, he will have to work very hard to be at that sort of level in four years.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Rooney has either been injured or suspended for major tourneys hasn't he? Apart from 2004 I can't remember him being fully fit and raring to go

2006: Injured but returned to team - got sent off for stamping on Carvalho.

2010: Not apparently injured just awful.

2012: Suspended for first two games after red card for violent conduct in qualifiers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

McBobbin said:

2012: Suspended for first two games after red card for violent conduct in qualifiers.
    I thought there was a problem in 2010 as well? Or was it just out down to "burn out"? Either way, he's hardly set the biggest stages alight
  • Options

cafctom said:

Couple of points there...

1) The winner against Ukraine was a goal line tap in, it was probably going in anyway, was not exactly a moment of genius!

2) Why did he miss the first two games? Because he was sent off vs Macedonia for a stupid, reckless off the ball kick at a defender which nearly cost us the game.

3) By 2018 Rooney will have been playing top-class football - averaging 50+ games per season for club and country - for 15 long, hard seasons, so will be more like a 35 year old than a 31 year old in footballing terms.

His fitness is not the best and he gains weight easily, he will have to work very hard to be at that sort of level in four years.
    Regardless of whether he was suspended or not, the topic at hand is whether he can 'do it' in big tournaments. In the time he had on the pitch in Euro 2012, he had one clear goalscoring opportunity. He took it, and it was crucial. Doesn't matter if it was a tap-in or not really.

As for the fitness thing, Frank Lampard and Steve Gerrard have been playing at the top level for just as long and both are likely to be there next Summer. Rooney is not injury prone like some make him out to be - he will be in the mix in 2018, and he may even be our captain.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

I thought there was a problem in 2010 as well? Or was it just out down to "burn out"? Either way, he's hardly set the biggest stages alight
    Nobody knows what the hell happened in 2010 to Rooney, he was appalling and made Majid Bougherra look like Beckenbauer.

Some say burn out, others say it was stuff in his personal life, we will never know but he was unrecognisable.
  • Options

And how the feck are the Swiss seeded?

What nationality is Sepp Blatter?

• Options

Nobody knows what the hell happened in 2010 to Rooney, he was appalling and made Majid Bougherra.

I think everybody knows that Rooney was under threat of having his marital indiscretions exposed by the press. He was fighting hard to stop this happening but it had a huge effect on his 2010 World Cup. Have you ever seen anybody look so miserable or desperate as Rooney during that tournament?
  • Options

Nobody knows what the hell happened in 2010 to Rooney, he was appalling and made Majid Bougherra.

I think everybody knows that Rooney was under threat of having his marital indiscretions exposed by the press. He was fighting hard to stop this happening but it had a huge effect on his 2010 World Cup. Have you ever seen anybody look so miserable or desperate as Rooney during that tournament?
    No! He looked totally distracted and listless, could not trap a ball or do the simplest thing - Capello should have dropped him.

You're probably right about the press stuff, was this the story about him and the brass?
  • Options
    He was injured in the build up to 2006, 2010 and 2012.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Twenty-five teams are qualified now and after the second legs tonight, we'll know all the European teams in the World Cup... who's going through? For me:

Greece
    Croatia
    Portugal
    Ukraine

Would love to see Iceland, Sweden and France qualify though.
  • Options
    If Sweden qualify it is pretty much nailed on that we will end up playing them in the group.
  • Options
    Don't think we can because we should be in the same pot! If we get a Euro team it'll be one of Spain, Germany, Belgium or Switzerland.