Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England - The Road To Brazil .. .Or not

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Best player in the world.
  • Options
    Sweden now need 3 goals in 10 minutes...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Almost Sweden 2-4 Ronaldo.
  • Options
    France 3-0 Ukraine. 3-2 on agg.
  • Options
    can't believe Ronaldo just missed that.

he is shit.
  • Options
    Portugal qualify.

Only three places left now.

France/Ukraine
    Uruguay/Jordan
    Mexico/New Zealand
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    FT in Paris too. France qualify.

Two places left: Uruguay are 5-0 up on Jordan while Mexico are 5-1 up on New Zealand. Both second legs are played tomorrow but I think both are safe and we have our 32 countries for 2014.

CONMEBOL: Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Ecuador and (probably) Uruguay.
    UEFA: Belgium, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Russia, Bosnia, England, Spain, Greece, Croatia, Portugal and France.
    AFC: Japan, Australia, South Korea and Iran.
    CONCACAF: United States, Costa Rica, Honduras and (probably) Mexico.
    CAF: Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana and Algeria.
  • Options
    The system for the draw is yet to be confirmed, but the likely pots will be:
    1 Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Switzerland, Uruguay*.
    2 Holland, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Bosnia, Croatia, Russia.
    3 France, Chile, Ecuador, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Algeria, Ghana.
    4 Japan, Australia, Iran, S Korea, Costa Rica, United States, Mexico, Honduras.
    That means we could see a group containing say Brazil, Italy, France and the United States or Switzerland, Bosnia, Iran and Honduras. The draw in December is clearly going to be very important. I can't see England getting past the quarters, but with a favourable draw that will be achievable.
  • Options
    So it'll be Brazil, England, France and USA then!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I don't trust FIFA to be honest so expect Brazil will get an easy group! Yes, we will probably get a tough one too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When is the draw?
  • Options
    5th December i believe
  • Options

I don't trust FIFA to be honest so expect Brazil will get an easy group! Yes, we will probably get a tough one too.

You don't trust a random draw?
  • Options
    the balls are warmed up.

or the paper is warmed up.
  • Options

You don't trust a random draw?
    There are always ways - not beyond a pretty average magician!
  • Options
    Draw is on the 6th.

France will be drawn first into a group with a South American top seed (Brazil/Argentina/Colombia/Uruguay) to avoid having a group of three European teams.

Groups of death:
    Brazil, France, USA, England
    Spain, Chile, Japan, England

Groups of 'life':
    Switzerland, Iran, Algeria, England
    Belgium, Costa Rica, Nigeria, England
  • Options
    The Road to Brazil .. was this a Bob Hope/Bing Crosby movie from the 1950s ?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Draw on Friday. Pots have just been finalised by FIFA:

Pot 1: Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Uruguay
    Pot 2: Algeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ivory Coast, Ecuador, Ghana, Nigeria
    Pot 3: Australia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, USA
    Pot 4: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia
    For the World Cup Final Draw, one side from Pot 4 will be drawn as a Pot 2 side.

https://twitter.com/FIFAcom

If FIFA had decided to use the current rankings rather than pre-play-off rankings, Switzerland and Belgium wouldn't be seeded. Portugal and Italy would be in their place.
  • Options
    I thought france were going to be in pot 2 as they are the lowest ranked side?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I thought so too (they did it in 2006 with Serbia) but if I understand that right, it looks like it'll be randomly picked this time.

Anyone fancy Brazil, Netherlands, England, South Korea?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best we can hope for is something like: Colombia, Algeria, Iran, England.
  • Options
    Switzerland are definitely the seeded team you want. Avoid South American teams at all costs IMO.
  • Options

Draw on Friday. Pots have just been finalised by FIFA:

place.

Seems they are not totally finalised?

Might be a change or two to the "pots"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25206040
  • Options
    Switzerland , Algeria and Iran would be an ideal draw for England i reckon.
  • Options
    I think its the group next door which will show us our demise. I think we'll get to the last 16.
  • Options
    One hard team and two 'easier' sides wouldn't be a bad thing. We usually do better against better sides.
  • Options

Switzerland are definitely the seeded team you want. Avoid South American teams at all costs IMO.

Thought we weren't allowed a European team in pot 1 and were restricted to Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay or Colombia?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Maximum of two European sides per group makes it possible to be drawn against any of the top seeds.

Here's the Brazuca football that all the kids'll be wanting: