Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poppies

Comments

• Options
    Or chris brunt
  • Options
    Sagbo for Hull didn't wear one, not sure what part of Ireland he's from.
  • Options
    Which English / British clubs pay their wages ?
  • Options
    If people don't want to wear one that's fine by me. They're free to choose want they want to do and need to stand by their conscience.

That's the whole point for me.

I don't want some prick wearing one to "look cool" or make some sort of statement as, to me, that devalues the whole thing.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

If people don't want to wear one that's fine by me. They're free to choose want they want to do and need to stand by their conscience.

I don't want some prick wearing one to "look cool" or make some sort of statement as, to me, that devalues the whole thing.

I agree. I give thanks for the freedom that those brave men and women who have fought and died to maintain. The minute you start forcing people to do things surely you undermine that very freedom that we this weekend of all should be thankful for. I wear a poppy today because I choose to, because I have that freedom to decide I want to.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Off_it said:

I agree. I give thanks for the freedom that those brave men and women who have fought and died to maintain. The minute you start forcing people to do things surely you undermine that very freedom that we this weekend of all should be thankful for. I wear a poppy today because I choose to, because I have that freedom to decide I want to.
    Agree
  • Options
    Yep, do what you want when it's your free time, but he will be representing Wigan Athletic today, and if they require him to wear one (same for kick out racism campaigns etc) then he should. If he doesn't then Wigan have every right to drop him.
  • Options
    The thread about Leeds clapping has a similar theme to this one. I just posted on there so won't risk censure by "double posting" - got told off before for doing that ! Bad that I am.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

The thread about Leeds clapping has a similar theme to this one. I just posted on there so won't risk censure by "double posting" - got told off before for doing that ! Bad that I am.

Actually, I think there's a big difference. If people are trying to pay their respects by holding a period of silence then I thinks it's wrong (and possibly inciteful) to deliberately attempt to disrupt that.

If someone wants to pay their respects by wearing a poppy that's up to them and someone not wearing a poppy is not going to change that.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    If a football club is trying to show its respects then why should members of the team decide to effectively say "fcuk off".

I imagine players' contracts require certain aspects of decorum, charitable activity and conformity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

This is the same for me

• Options
    Off_it said:

Totally agree. Really winds me up seeing everyone on tv wearing them when you know they have been given to them by the bbc rather than paying for them, themselves. I remember watching have I got news for you and that black American comedian, Reginald someone, said he didn't even know why he was wearing one.
  • Options
    The whole James McClean incident is way too far. He has reasons to not wear a poppy and nobody should be forcing him to wear anything.

It should be a personal choice, thought the soldiers in the first and second world war were fighting against fascism?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I imagine players' contracts require certain aspects of decorum, charitable activity and conformity.

Unless you're Suarez
  • Options

The whole James McClean incident is way too far. He has reasons to not wear a poppy and nobody should be forcing him to wear anything.

It should be a personal choice, thought the soldiers in the first and second world war were fighting against fascism?

So using that same logic, you'd have no problem with players opting out of wearing a Kick If Out badge or whatever then?
  • Options
    ..... Just to note that Ross County up in Scotland decided not to have a minutes silence or indeed wear poppies for yesterday's game, no prizes for guessing who the visiting side were.......

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

So using that same logic, you'd have no problem with players opting out of wearing a Kick If Out badge or whatever then?
    If you're forcing someone to do something against their wish, does the thing they are doing have any meaning at all ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

If you're forcing someone to do something against their wish, does the thing they are doing have any meaning at all ?
    Maybe not, but opting to not participate in something like the wearing of a poppy means a lot more to me
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Maybe not, but opting to not participate in something like the wearing of a poppy means a lot more to me
    And I assume you are thankful that people have the freedom to express their views (or abstain from doing so) even if they conflict with your own ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

And I assume you are thankful that people have the freedom to express their views (or abstain from doing so) even if they conflict with your own ?
    Why are you arguing? If one won't wear a poppy while living in any part of Europe, they are a cunt IN MY OPINION

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Would I think less of a player? Yes. Would I want that player to be punished? No.

Lending support to something shouldn't be forced. Obviously if he burned a poppy or whatever i'd agree with punishment, but he's simply just not wearing a poppy.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    All this hair splitting and playing devils advocate on such an emotive subject, typical CL!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

All this hair splitting and playing devils advocate, typical CL!

eh? you been on the sauce Rob?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

BIG_ROB said:

All this hair splitting and playing devils advocate, typical CL!

eh? you been on the sauce Rob?
    Yeah Red Rockin
  • Options
    PL54 said:

If a football club is trying to show its respects then why should members of the team decide to effectively say "fcuk off".

I don't think forcing someone to wear a poppy if they don't agree with it is right. No employer has the right to dictate what charitable messages you are to display.
  • Options
    Nobody is being forced to wear the poppy! The question is, why would anyone resident in the UK not want to wear one?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

Nobody is being forced to wear the poppy! The question is, why would anyone resident in the UK not want to wear one?

This is what gets me mate.

It's just an obvious show of no respect imo. He's fine with picking up his pay packet in this country but couldn't give a shit about those that protect and serve it.

He done it last year at Sunderland.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Freedom of thought and expression. Which doesn't necessarily imply any disrespect to the servicemen but a rejection of the groupthink that demands certain behaviour.

• Options
    iainment said:

BIG_ROB said:

Freedom of thought and expression. Which doesn't necessarily imply any disrespect to the servicemen but a rejection of the groupthink that demands certain behaviour.

Oh so its down to the principle then that anyone dare assume that they would want to wear a poppy.