Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poppies

Comments

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

iainment said:

BIG_ROB said:

Nobody is being forced to wear the poppy! The question is, why would anyone resident in the UK not want to wear one?

Freedom of thought and expression. Which doesn't necessarily imply any disrespect to the servicemen but a rejection of the groupthink that demands certain behaviour.

Oh so its down to the principle then that anyone dare assume that they would want to wear a poppy.
    Of course there are many that want to wear a poppy, but that doesn't mean everyone has to. That's all.
  • Options
    I personally support the poppy appeal because I think nomatter what some say it represents to me a sign of respect and gratitude to those that have fallen and as a help to those that are now suffering because they chose to fight for their country. I do not support all the conflicts we are currently involved in but I don't see that one affects the other. I also support the notion of the White poppy for peace and would be happy to wear one alongside my red poppy if I could find somewhere to buy one. If someone chooses not to support either of the above I am happy that they have the right not to do so which as others have said is a freedom that many have fought and died to preserve.
  • Options
    Seen my first lilac animal poppy this year - the lady that wore it had an Irish Wolfhound!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Seen my first lilac animal poppy this year - the lady that wore it had an Irish Wolfhound!

Never seen or heard of it before but if it's what I think it is I have no problem with it.

• Options
    Addickted said:

I take it the dog was using his "freedom of thought" to opt out of the wearing of a poppy.....?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I'd wear one of those.
  • Options
    How about if a club arranged to wear "kick it out" shirts but a couple of players won't ?

Or if they were all going to the local mosque's youth football team to encourage integration but half the team would not do it ?

What if there was a planned club trip to the blood donor office to encourage people to attend but the 3 star players' religious beliefs would not allow the idea of blood transfution so they refused ?

A club wants players to wear gay-rainbow colours on the back of their shorts because a local (gay) business man has sponsored them - 1 refuses though ?

A team plans to warm up in T-shirts that offer memory to a club disaster in which spectators died but the goalie refuses ?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
  • Options
    New York, New York
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder how many families of the 27,405 Irish volunteers who died in the first World War applaud Mr McCleans decision?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Addickted said:

I wonder how many families of the 27,405 Irish volunteers who died in the first World War applaud Mr McCleans decision?

Here's an interesting article.

http://shanebrowne.wordpress.com/tag/ireland/
  • Options

se9addick said:

Off_it said:

If people don't want to wear one that's fine by me. They're free to choose want they want to do and need to stand by their conscience.

That's the whole point for me.

I don't want some prick wearing one to "look cool" or make some sort of statement as, to me, that devalues the whole thing.

I agree. I give thanks for the freedom that those brave men and women who have fought and died to maintain. The minute you start forcing people to do things surely you undermine that very freedom that we this weekend of all should be thankful for. I wear a poppy today because I choose to, because I have that freedom to decide I want to.
    Agree
    Yes, and I wish the BBC saw it that way.
  • Options
    Anyone notice Champagne Charlie Nichols' Celtic styled Poppy on GSS?
  • Options
    Very good examples

Can u imagine the uproar if someone did not support kick it out
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

..... Just to note that Ross County up in Scotland decided not to have a minutes silence or indeed wear poppies for yesterday's game, no prizes for guessing who the visiting side were.......

Bayern Munich?
  • Options

Addickted said:

Here's an interest article.

http://shanebrowne.wordpress.com/tag/ireland/
    Agreed - though his figure of 50k is correct, a lot of those who died in the 3 Irish Divisions of the British Army were not all native Irish.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    PL54 said:

How about if a club arranged to wear "kick it out" shirts but a couple of players won't ?

Or if they were all going to the local mosque's youth football team to encourage integration but half the team would not do it ?

What if there was a planned club trip to the blood donor office to encourage people to attend but the 3 star players' religious beliefs would not allow the idea of blood transfution so they refused ?

A club wants players to wear gay-rainbow colours on the back of their shorts because a local (gay) business man has sponsored them - 1 refuses though ?

A team plans to warm up in T-shirts that offer memory to a club disaster in which spectators died but the goalie refuses ?

In each of those situations it would be the individuals choice and even though I disagree with them I thank God I live in a country where they have the right to choose.

What's the alternative ? Forcing them to give blood or they can't play ? What if they wanted to vote for a political party you disagreed with ? Where does the restriction of what somebody else should believe end ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

PL54 said:

In each of those situations it would be the individuals choice and even though I disagree with them I thank God I live in a country where they have the right to choose.

What's the alternative ? Forcing them to give blood or they can't play ? What if they wanted to vote for a political party you disagreed with ? Where does the restriction of what somebody else should believe end ?
    So you'd have no problem what so ever with a Charlton player voting for the BNP then?
  • Options
    If someone refused to acknowledge an anti racism campaign the calls for him to be banned and treated abhorrantly by the media would be huge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
  • Options

I think Chris Powell might.

There you go then, it WOULD be a problem
  • Options

If someone refused to acknowledge an anti racism campaign the calls for him to be banned and treated abhorrantly by the media would be huge

Didn't Jason Roberts and some other leading black players refuse to wear the Kick It Out T-Shirts last season?
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

PL54 said:

So you'd have no problem what so ever with a Charlton player voting for the BNP then?
    I would certainly think less of them for supporting such a racist right wing party but as far as I'm aware he has every right to do so and I wouldn't wish for that right to stop. Would I cheer when he scored a goal ? Yes.

• Options

Didn't Jason Roberts and some other leading black players refuse to wear the Kick It Out T-Shirts last season?
    Yes, Rio as well.
  • Options

Yes, Rio as well.
    Its their prerogative because they're black, but if it was a white player there'd be a backlash. Like it or not, its how the media etc works imo
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

PL54 said:

But that's not the question is it ? The question is not whether I have a "problem" with it, that's my prerogative, my choice, my freedom. But my "problem" shouldn't infringe upon his freedom.

This hypothetical chap is at liberty to vote however he wants, wear a poppy if he likes, give blood when he chooses and wear a kick racism out t-shirt if he fancies. And hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of British men and women gave their lives so he can do all of those things, whether he acknowledges it or not.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure there were a number if Scottish games that had no silence as well. Not just the Celtic game.
  • Options
    WSS said:

I'm pretty sure there were a number if Scottish games that had no silence as well. Not just the Celtic game.

There wasn't one at welling.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

PL54 said:

I thought Di Canio was great for us despite his penchant for Mussolini and Italian Fascism. It didn't sit easily though.