Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poppies

Comments

• Options

Just reading the article in the post by Fishy above, reminded me of the discussion my wife and I were having the other day. Charlene White says that she doesn't wear a poppy on screen because she doesn't want to advertise one charity above any others she supports, which I understand. The discussion that my wife and i were having centred around the fact that although I choose to buy a poppy each year (usually more than one), I don't do it to support the charity, I do it to show that I remember and am grateful for the sacrifice of those who paid the ultimate price. Wifey insists that we should buy a poppy each year to support the charity. Now, I'm sure most of us who buy poppies to do both of these things, but surely the most important is the act of remembrance and not the charity isn't it? If you buy a metal pin badge poppy this year and wear it each subsequent year, is that wrong? I don't think so, do you?

Interesting point. Certainly to help the charity but do I need a poppy or badge to remember. I always wear one so maybe I do.

Would I remember less or with less reverence if I didn't wear a poppy? No, I don't think so so why do I need to wear it?

To give a trivial comparison I often wear a Charlton badge to games but not always. Do I support Charlton less or more depending on if I wear that badge? I would say no.

maybe wearing a poppy is also about showing others that you remember and showing others that you remember and care. It is an act of collective remembrance and perhaps more powerful for that.
    i think that sums it up quite well for me.

• Options

Just reading the article in the post by Fishy above, reminded me of the discussion my wife and I were having the other day. Charlene White says that she doesn't wear a poppy on screen because she doesn't want to advertise one charity above any others she supports, which I understand. The discussion that my wife and i were having centred around the fact that although I choose to buy a poppy each year (usually more than one), I don't do it to support the charity, I do it to show that I remember and am grateful for the sacrifice of those who paid the ultimate price. Wifey insists that we should buy a poppy each year to support the charity. Now, I'm sure most of us who buy poppies to do both of these things, but surely the most important is the act of remembrance and not the charity isn't it? If you buy a metal pin badge poppy this year and wear it each subsequent year, is that wrong? I don't think so, do you?

Interesting point. Certainly to help the charity but do I need a poppy or badge to remember. I always wear one so maybe I do.

Would I remember less or with less reverence if I didn't wear a poppy? No, I don't think so so why do I need to wear it?

To give a trivial comparison I often wear a Charlton badge to games but not always. Do I support Charlton less or more depending on if I wear that badge? I would say no.

maybe wearing a poppy is also about showing others that you remember and showing others that you remember and care. It is an act of collective remembrance and perhaps more powerful for that.
    i think that sums it up quite well for me.

Agreed, it's as much about collective remembrance (and thanks).
  • Options
    It's all about freedom of choice whether to wear one or not. The fact that we have that freedom today is because of the sacrifice of so many.

• Options
    He has done it again for tonight, Is it all Irish people or only a certain few for instance will Henderson be wearing one

http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/news/article/14-11-07-statement-regarding-james-mcclean-2070059.aspx
  • Options
    Disagree with his decision and his reasoning but defend his right to wear or not wear a poppy.
  • Options

Is it all Irish people or only a certain few for instance will Henderson be wearing one

Different Irish people will make different choices.

No idea on Henderson but he and every other player should IMHO wear the poppy because they want to not because they feel they have to.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Walked past the Tower of London today - absolutely staggering feeling as you realise each one of the 888,246 poppies represents one of the fallen.

[edited out of respect for each and every one of the fallen]
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Walked past the Tower of London today - absolutely staggering feeling as you realise each one of the 850,000 poppies represents one of the fallen.

Wished I could of bought 1 but was to late
  • Options
    This may seem flippant in view of what the poppies represent but what has happened to the ravens that normally frequent the moat. I thought if they disappeared the Crown was supposed to fall & Britain with it ?
  • Options
    There are meant to be six but a fox ate a couple as the Ravens have their wings clipped to ensure they don't fly away. I would assume that they are safely housed elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to Bluewater today and there was a very good stall selling not only poppies but a range of poppyesque merchandise appealing to a wider range of people all bearing the poppy itself.

I always get one but don't always wear the right clothes to wear one so all the time was v pleased to get a lapel badge
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    No prize for guessing what club.

• Options
    Wot a bunch of walkers I hate that club with a passion and this just adds to the hatred.
  • Options
    Scum absolutely scum club
  • Options
    Agree, but on a slightly different note, did anyone see Joss Stone's rendition of " The Green Fields of France" last night on the BBC's Remembrance night ? Sorry but for me it just didn't work and to take a lament and turn it in to a Gospel song was pretty horrific and not a patch on the Furey's version.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    I myself believe that the Poppy should only be used as a mark of rememberance for those who died in the two World Wars. That is how I always remember it being. I do not agree that it should be used for all conflicts. I am not a supporter of 'all conflicts.'
  • Options
    Murrays got a poppy on his shirt today that he's wearing for the tennis at the O2 the Scottish twat nice British bloke
  • Options

No prize for guessing what club.

Pure scum. Really baffles me how any one can have them as their scottish team when this sort of is a relatively common occurence.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I myself believe that the Poppy should only be used as a mark of rememberance for those who died in the two World Wars. That is how I always remember it being. I do not agree that it should be used for all conflicts. I am not a supporter of 'all conflicts.'

Its NOT to show your support of conflicts!

Its to show your support of all those Armed Forces personnel who served their country.

The poppy was chosen as much for Napoleonic War association as WW1.
  • Options
    Is that an old photo or was that this weekend?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Would like to know the answer to that as well.

• Options
    I'm sure there are soldiers who do not necessarily agree with all the conflicts but they still put their lives on the line and we should be exceptionally grateful.
  • Options
    That Celtic picture is from 2010.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    red_murph said:

Uboat said:

Would like to know the answer to that as well.

As AKFA says it's a pretty old picture, Celtic were playing away to Aberdeen this weekend. They still chose not to wear a poppy on their shirt (are they the only team in the upper leagues in Britain to not wear a poppy ?) and "some" of their fans booed during the minutes remembrance.

Celtic FC made a £10,000 donation to the Poppy appeal last week, if I'm being hugely cynical I would say it was to mitigate the bad press they knew they would get.

On a slightly different subject, I'm watching the NFL on Sky now and Dallas and Jacksonville are both wearing poppies on their jerseys, a nice touch.
  • Options

I'm sure there are soldiers who do not necessarily agree with all the conflicts but they still put their lives on the line and we should be exceptionally grateful.

Damn right, especially this century, make no mistake about that.
  • Options

That Celtic picture is from 2010.

I'm glad you put that up AFKA. Even if they still do that, some people seem to have other agenda's which I can't abide by.

I went to my first remembrance parade today. Something I'll never ever forget.
  • Options
    Why does it matter when it was taken? It's a thread about poppies and remembrance and their continued disrespect as a club and support is relevant for the topic discussion