Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stop the smoking at the Valley.

Comments

• Options
    When are people going to realise that football fans think they are above the law once inside a stadium.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Croydon said:

Incidentally I can also see similar bans for alcohol once they have finished with the smokers, before anyone makes the link between them.

Twenty, or thirty, years ago it would have been unthinkable for people to be refused the right to have a cigarette, or a cigar, after a meal in a restaurant. If you'd canvassed people in a pub and asked them if they believed that they wouldn't be allowed to smoke in their boozer they would've called you a Doctor.

Just to go even more off at a tangent, I can see the high sugar carbonated drinks being attacked soon too. Taxes (duty) may well make a can of Coke so expensive that children won't be able to afford it and their parents will not be willing to buy it.

Nanny State? Oh yes - it's coming!

you must love conspiracy theories

It's just evolution. It's no different from seat belts. For years it was known that wearing them would save lives but those in power never thought it appropriate to make it law.

In time we will all come to accept that things that are bad for us might have to be 'taken away from us' to save us from ourselves.
  • Options
    We will look back at this thread in years to come and laugh at the suggestion of a smoking area at The valley . Thankfully , smoking is more and more seen as as not only disgusting but bloody dangerous to people who have to suffer it passively .
    This is coming from a 40 a day man who thankfully gave up 15 years ago.
  • Options
    PJW1 said:

Incidentally I can also see similar bans for alcohol once they have finished with the smokers, before anyone makes the link between them.

Twenty, or thirty, years ago it would have been unthinkable for people to be refused the right to have a cigarette, or a cigar, after a meal in a restaurant. If you'd canvassed people in a pub and asked them if they believed that they wouldn't be allowed to smoke in their boozer they would've called you a Doctor.

Just to go even more off at a tangent, I can see the high sugar carbonated drinks being attacked soon too. Taxes (duty) may well make a can of Coke so expensive that children won't be able to afford it and their parents will not be willing to buy it.

Interesting response from the various smokers;

Blame shift - it's the clubs fault./ non Smokers are fussy wusses.

Minimise - Passive smoking is not really harmful. / there are other harmful things out there etc./ same as drinking/ reminds me of football when I was a child./ only dangerous if you have weak genes.

Scare - EG posts about a bouncer getting shot for asking someone no to smoke. / it will be drinkers and coke next

Politicise - Bloody nanny state!

Magnanimous - I will respect my fellow non addicted addicks - How generous!

All classic responses of addicts.

Passive smoking is dangerous,even in small doses and even more so in confined spaces where multiple cigarettes have been smoked in a short timespan.

Smoking in enclosed public spaces is illegal and the Club is responsible. it is anti social offensive and totally inconsiderate.Smokers have the right to damage their own health and wealth but don't damage mine.

Actually having read all of the guff on here from smokers my attitude has hardened . Why should the club waste time and energy on pandering to their addiction.They should eject and ban a few of smokers who would no doubt obey the law.

Smokers - Stop making excuses and start to obey the law.

I can't be bothered to read through the whole thread again, but as far as I recall from following it over the last few days, almost no-one has suggested anything other than allowing an outside smoking area for smokers. Most of your quoted comments have been in response to general anti-smoking comments - including those where anti-smokers want to make up their own laws...
  • Options

PJW1 said:

Interesting response from the various smokers;

Blame shift - it's the clubs fault./ non Smokers are fussy wusses.

Minimise - Passive smoking is not really harmful. / there are other harmful things out there etc./ same as drinking/ reminds me of football when I was a child./ only dangerous if you have weak genes.

Scare - EG posts about a bouncer getting shot for asking someone no to smoke. / it will be drinkers and coke next

Politicise - Bloody nanny state!

Magnanimous - I will respect my fellow non addicted addicks - How generous!

All classic responses of addicts.

Passive smoking is dangerous,even in small doses and even more so in confined spaces where multiple cigarettes have been smoked in a short timespan.

Smoking in enclosed public spaces is illegal and the Club is responsible. it is anti social offensive and totally inconsiderate.Smokers have the right to damage their own health and wealth but don't damage mine.

Actually having read all of the guff on here from smokers my attitude has hardened . Why should the club waste time and energy on pandering to their addiction.They should eject and ban a few of smokers who would no doubt obey the law.

Smokers - Stop making excuses and start to obey the law.

I can't be bothered to read through the whole thread again, but as far as I recall from following it over the last few days, almost no-one has suggested anything other than allowing an outside smoking area for smokers. Most of your quoted comments have been in response to general anti-smoking comments - including those where anti-smokers want to make up their own laws...
    Splitting hairs - See above
  • Options
    Gonna stub this one out, i think its run its course for now.
  • Options
    Why should the Club do this? Smokers just need to go two hours without a cigarette and respect the law.

I am anti spending a penny of precious club money on indulging smokers addiction.
  • Options

Butt there's so much left to say..
  • Options

Butt there's so much left to say..
    Best get in quick before the whole thread goes up in smoke.

• Options
    PJW1 said:

Why should the Club do this? Smokers just need to go two hours without a cigarette and respect the law.

I am anti spending a penny of precious club money on indulging smokers addiction.

Which is why you should read the whole thread, and see that a perfectly workable solution has been mooted which will not cost the club money, you should also stop ignoring facts because they don't suit you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All I will say is that having an outside smoking area won't totally stop smoking in the toilets. It'll definitely lessen it significantly, but there will always be those who don't fancy the stairs, or it's too cold/wet/windy for them. So the toilets will still need policing whatever solution is put in place.
  • Options

Take a tip from me, good idea!
  • Options
    Admin has spoken...so no butts ok.
  • Options

All I will say is that having an outside smoking area won't totally stop smoking in the toilets. It'll definitely lessen it significantly, but there will always be those who don't fancy the stairs, or it's too cold/wet/windy for them. So the toilets will still need policing whatever solution is put in place.

I agree totally with this. If legal space is provided, then it's tough if it's raining or you can't be bothered to walk there to have your fix.
  • Options

PJW1 said:

Which is why you should read the whole thread, and see that a perfectly workable solution has been mooted which will not cost the club money, you should also stop ignoring facts because they don't suit you.
    Of course it would cost the club money and is impractical - you would have to have a area for each stand separate, marked and supervised.
  • Options
    At school I was disruptive and lazy so naturally ended up with no education and zero qualifications. Like smoking, it was my own choice. Building smoking areas for people with little or no self control is as stupid as giving me my own private teacher.

• Options

So it's ok to let a thread based on some inane topic,or some right wing rant about the financial crisis run for years but not one viewed by 6k commented on by 300+ in a week which is a current an live issue?

How has it "run its course" Double standards I think!

Why close it? Are you a smoker?

Smoking is banned at the Valley.

Smoking is illegal in the toilets and is overwhelming disliked.

Running smoking areas would cost.

Smokers need to respect fellow fans and stop being so selfish by not having a cigarette for two hours.

The Club needs to enforce the ban.

If you feel strongly about this issues email the club and demand that they take this seriously.

• Options
    Wood for trees lol.
  • Options
    Good place for trolls
  • Options

Wood for trees lol.

What here can you dispute? Seriously ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PJW1 said:

So it's ok to let a thread based on some inane topic,or some right wing rant about the financial crisis run for years but not one viewed by 6k commented on by 300+ in a week which is a current an live issue?

Smokers need to respect fellow fans and stop being so selfish by not having a cigarette for two hours.

If you feel strongly about this issues email the club and demand that they take this seriously.

Serious sense of humour failure. You should chill out, maybe a ciggy would help. BTW as the bloke who owns/runs the site AFKA can pretty much close whatever he feels like.
  • Options

Wood for trees lol.

What here can you dispute? Seriously ?
    JWADDICK said:

PJW1 said:

Serious sense of humour failure. You should chill out, maybe a ciggy would help. BTW as the bloke who owns/runs the site AFKA can pretty much close whatever he feels like.
    Nice one! Put comic genius!
  • Options
    Put my comic genius where?
  • Options
    Wood for trees...AFKA makes pun, others join in etc...it's called fun :-)
  • Options

Croydon said:

you must love conspiracy theories

It's just evolution. It's no different from seat belts. For years it was known that wearing them would save lives but those in power never thought it appropriate to make it law.

In time we will all come to accept that things that are bad for us might have to be 'taken away from us' to save us from ourselves.
    How many people are killed by fizzy drinks a year?! I find it hard to agree with your comparison but I understand your point, sort of.

• Options
    How many people are killed by fizzy drinks a year?! I find it hard to agree with your

I stubbed my toe on a Coke Bottle once...smarted for a bit.

• Options

Have any of the "Anti-Smokers" on this thread ever contacted the club ?
    And what was their response ?

PJW1 ?

• Options
    Waiting to hear from the a Club.

There was a post from someone early on who said that he had contacted the Club on numerous occasions with few results.

I did notice newly stencilled signs warning against smoking in the toilets at the Leeds game. The trouble is that many of the Stewards don't seem to either know what they are doing or much care. Sometimes a careful word from descent steward would work owners I think. I have to say that more than once I have wondered how the Stewards around me would deal with a problem!

I sound like a middle aged humourless git on this post but really I'm not - I just hate smoking with a vengeance, probably since I am a pious ex 40 a Dayer. I have actually used most of the lines smokers have used on here and am probably way too intolerant therefore.

• Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    As I said, I'm a smoker, but I find I can go without one whilst at The Valley. Some people need their fix more than others.
    I've found, over the years, that ex-smokers are the worst when it comes to discussions about smoking.......

;-)
  • Options
    Well possibly