Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options
    So today's the day the World Championships were due to start 😭😭😭

BBC are still giving us a tiny bit of snooker even if it is just 2 hours a day, they are going to be showing a classic World Championship match every day

Todays match is 3pm till 5pm on BBC 2 and it is a match from the 1st round of the 1982 world championship between Steve Davis and Tony Knowles
  • Options
    Just a shame they have condensed it down to 2 hours, whats the red button doing atm lol, surely they could just put one whole classic match on the red button each day
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Players could wear gloves too like the ref........
    Agreed, they wouldn't like wearing  gloves but if it meant that TV snooker could resume a month earlier than most other sports, it could catch a desperate audience...
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    There's a good documentary on IPlayer at the moment 'when snooker ruled the world'

I enjoyed it as it coincides with the time I started watching snooker 
  • Options
    Current World Champion Steve Davies against Tony Knowles

Only one winner here surely 🤣🤣
  • Options
    Great to the Reardon v Higgins 82 final yesterday. Higgins didn’t buckle under the pressure and some of those shots were amazing.
    went onto YouTube to revisit his 69 break against White in the semi-final when he was 59-0 behind.
    incredible stuff.
    Saw Higgins in a B&H Masters in @ 81 / 82 in a semi-final v Cliff Thorburn. Higgins was 5-1 down and ended winning 6-5. The atmosphere got more electric with each frame. 
    Like a lot of top players he had his issues but he truly was a genius.
  • Options
    Sorry forgot to say it starts at 2 during the week 

Steve Davis is currently 8-1 up over Jimmy White
  • Options
    Makes you winder how different things would have been had the miss rule been around back then.

Frame 19

Jimmy White ahead and had Davis in a tough snooker, Davis missed and White got the 4 points but was left a tricky pot which he missed, Davis then cleared up and won the frame and went 13-7 ahead.

Had the miss rule been around, White would clearly have put Davis back in and a couple more misses and it would have been 12-8 instead

• Options
    I remember this shot, couldn't believe what he was trying but what a shot it was

• Options
    Gotta say I am looking forward to the one today at 2pm.

After spending the last 3 days in the 80s BBC are fast forwarding to the 2014 Semi Final between Mark Selby and Neil Robertson 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm The World Famous Pocket Cyborg 
  • Options
    There has obviously been a typo in the picture FKL should be JKL
  • Options
    People always say who is the greatest player to never win the world title and obviously Jimmy Whites name is always first mentioned

Matthew Stevens for me has to be up there as well.

Watching the 2002 semi final v Ebdon now and just reminds you what a great chance that was

16-14 ahead and 61-28 ahead with 1 red left.

If he had just got over the line in that frame he would have been in the final and may have beat Hendry himself like Ebdon did.

He also got to 2 finals losing 18-16 both times to Williams and Murphy

In fact in a 6 year spell between 2000 and 2006 he got to 2 finals, 3 semis and lost in the 2nd round once
  • Options
    Sorry, but The Outrageous Pocket Pocketeer is rubbish, who decided to have such similar words in 2 of the sections  :D
  • Options
    People always say who is the greatest player to never win the world title and obviously Jimmy Whites name is always first mentioned

Matthew Stevens for me has to be up there as well.

Watching the 2002 semi final v Ebdon now and just reminds you what a great chance that was

16-14 ahead and 61-28 ahead with 1 red left.

If he had just got over the line in that frame he would have been in the final and may have beat Hendry himself like Ebdon did.

He also got to 2 finals losing 18-16 both times to Williams and Murphy

In fact in a 6 year spell between 2000 and 2006 he got to 2 finals, 3 semis and lost in the 2nd round once
    How Stevens lost that 2002 semi final I'll  never know. That said, Jimmy should've won at least 1 of those world finals, probably 2
  • Options
    The baby faced (my mates would find that ironic as i look older than i am) pocket Baulkster
  • Options
    Gonna be a sad one today

2002/2003 semi final between Ken Doherty and Paul Hunter 

Before Mark Selby, Paul Hunter was my favourite player it was only after his passing and I saw Mark Selby play just after that he became my new favourite player
  • Options
    Yep saw that was todays game. Such a tragic loss at such a young age. A fantastic player.
  • Options
    PETER EBDON HAS RETIRED FROM SNOOKER
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He has been having issues with his neck for the last few months now and has now officially retired rather than having risky surgery 
  • Options
    PETER EBDON

9 Ranking Tournament Wins:

1993 Grand Prix v Ken Doherty
    1997 Thailand Open v Nigel Bond
    2000 British Open v Jimmy White
    2001 Scottish Open v Ken Doherty
    2002 World Championship v Stephen Hendry 
    2004 Irish Masters v Mark King
    2006 UK Championship v Stephen Hendry
    2009 China Open v John Higgins
    2012 China Open v Stephen Maguire

He was also runner up in 9 Ranking events including another 2 World Championships and another UK Championship

He won 4 non ranking events as well.

He made 377 centuries
    He made 2 147s

His 1st 147 was snookers 10th and was 5th June 1991 in a qualifying event v Wayne Martin

His 2nd 147 was snookers 15th and was 14th November 1992 in the UK Championship against Ken Doherty 

Peter Ebdon twice reached number 3 in the world once in 96/97 and once in 02/03
  • Options
    Its a shame we didnt get to see him a Sheffield one final time
  • Options
    Not really, solid player and a proper battler eg. Dott mould but very painful to watch. The latter years he did speed up a bit but never really a fan personally, he made the best of it and done well. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Not really, solid player and a proper battler eg. Dott mould but very painful to watch. The latter years he did speed up a bit but never really a fan personally, he made the best of it and done well. 
    Maybe not the greatest to watch.

But a very good servant of the game and a 3 time crucible finalist and its a shame he doesnt get the final Sheffield goodbye
  • Options

But a very good servant of the game and a 3 time crucible finalist and its a shame he doesnt get the final Sheffield goodbye
    Just because he has been a good servant, noone deserves a place at the Cruicible you have to earn it. fwiw i dont agree when they give wild cards to the seniors and whoever wins the seniors event gets a chance through qualifying. People who have been greats shouldn't have divine right to enter or shortcut in my book. 
  • Options

Just because he has been a good servant, noone deserves a place at the Cruicible you have to earn it. fwiw i dont agree when they give wild cards to the seniors and whoever wins the seniors event gets a chance through qualifying. People who have been greats shouldn't have divine right to enter or shortcut in my book. 
    Didnt say he deserved an automatic place and would still have had to qualify.

Just said its a shame he doesnt get one last goodbye at sheffield and has had to retire now with his last match being in December 2019

Its like a footballer, retiring with his last game being a few months previous, its always a shame they didnt get one last chance to say goodbye to their fans
  • Options
    World Snooker have been running a World Championship on Snooker 19 the PS4 game.

The 16 best online players in the world were assigned a player in the top 16 based on their rank.

They are down to the final 2

John Higgns v Mark Selby 

• Options

Didnt say he deserved an automatic place and would still have had to qualify.

Just said its a shame he doesnt get one last goodbye at sheffield and has had to retire now with his last match being in December 2019

Its like a footballer, retiring with his last game being a few months previous, its always a shame they didnt get one last chance to say goodbye to their fans
    Ebdon was quick and attacking when he was young, also had long hair in a pony tail. He changed his game completely and it paid off in 2002.

I was delighted when he won it because a) I can't stand Hendry and b) I once beat him 3-2 in a pro-am.