Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options
    watching Selby play snooker is like pulling teeth

Jimmy White fan's said similar things about Steve Davis. 

Davis won 6 World titles 
    White won none. 

It's not all about crash bang wallop. 
    Selby is not enjoyable to watch and you're doing Jimmy White a great disservice to use 'crash bang wallop'. He was in six World finals and lost a final frame decider to Hendry in one of them. 
    Says who?

The game isn't called pot balls as quick as you can.

Selby is extremely enjoyable to watch because he knows every inch of that table.

If your watching just to see, quick snooker, balls being potted and that's it maybe watch snooker shootout and leave it and that 🤣

There is nothing I like more than watching a 45/50 frame with some great safety 

Listen to people like, McManus or Murphy they constantly say how great watching Selby is because of what he does, he has a great all round game, he can break build with the best of them(only Higgins(7) has more centuries than him(6) this tournament) but his safety is second to none, Higgins went from annihilating Wilson to losing to Selby why because of Selbys safety.

The fact of the matter is if he wins on monday he will have 5 World titles and be 1 behind Davis and Reardon and 2 behind Hendry and Ronnie.

I don't enjoy watching him - no need for your idiotic comments. I've watched plenty of snooker over the years and am well aware of what the game entails.

He might be a very good player but like Davis, Ebdon, Thorburn etc I find him dull to watch. 

We all have different opinions...
    I don't think my comment was idiotic and clearly nor do the 2 people who liked the post.

You said Selby is not enjoyable to watch what you should have said is "I don't enjoy watching Selby" because there are people myself included who enjoy watching Selby so for some Selby is enjoyable to watch

When I say something I would have thought it was pretty obvious that was my opinion - I didn't realise that I needed to spell that out to you. I thought you could have worked that out. You're guilty of doing the same thing yourself which is what makes it even more ridiculous!

However good a player Selby is I find him fairly painful to watch. 

• Options
    5-3 to Si after first session. Plenty of errors by both players...
  • Options
    There was, but also a period where Si looked like he was going to blow him away 2 centuries and a 90, at the end Brecel missed the pink which would have made it 4-4. Pretty good quality but with some misses thrown in, decent first session. 
  • Options
    There was, but also a period where Si looked like he was going to blow him away 2 centuries and a 90, at the end Brecel missed the pink which would have made it 4-4. Pretty good quality but with some misses thrown in, decent first session. 
    Not sure how either of these players would cope against a more safety conscious player. 
  • Options
    Not sure how either of these players would cope against a more safety conscious player. 
    I can't see Selby losing to either, he is the ultimate match player. Equally i didn't see Ronnie losing to Brecel and thought Mcgill had the edge on Si if it comes to safety's.. it's not written but i do think the person who has the best chance against Selby is Allen and he will need to play his top game.  
  • Options
    Anyone but dour boring Selby
  • Options
    "Dour boring Selby" gets a century in frame 1

Won the safety battle then gets a century, as I said earlier, he has everything 
  • Options
    And Ken Doherty as studio pundit with lip make-up copied from the Joker!
  • Options

Did you see Selby turn down that pink? Goes onto lose the frame too, Hendry couldn't believe he tried to play safe instead of going for the pot. 
  • Options
    Si Jihai 11-5 up at the interval, seems to grow each performance. I felt he got the rub of the green against Murphy, again Mcgill he played someone not quite on it but really showing what he is about against Luca, immaculate cueball and great potting, great to watch! 

Allen playing out of his skin, still fancy Selby from here but this will be a big old slug fest with both players digging in, also some quality pool and breaks in between. Potential to be a classic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Did you see Selby turn down that pink? Goes onto lose the frame too, Hendry couldn't believe he tried to play safe instead of going for the pot. 
    Where was your comment when Allen took 3 and a half minutes on a shot yesterday 

Guaranteed if that was Selby you would have been straight on here.

Lets not forget for these players this is there job, if they don't win they don't earn money.

Look at Brecel, how many times could or should he have played safe but instead he has gone for everything and finds himself 11-5 down

You may not like the way Selby plays, but he is a 4 time World Champion for a reason, because he can make big breaks but can also grind people down(an animal as Higgins called him)

Yes he lost that frame, but if he won it suddenly everyone would have been saying it was the right shot, if he went for the pink and missed and Allen won it would have been the wrong shot

Dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't 
  • Options
    Selby struggling at the moment and a combination of Allen digging in too, feel he needs to win a couple of frames before the mid session and stick with, although you can never discount him. 

Each to their own, if people dont like Selby no need to take personally, i was having the same debate with a friend yesterday who accused him of being grumpy... not knowing the depths of his MH etc. then still argued he has enough money so shouldn't do, if only it was that easy!! Some people have their own agenda and ultimately it's because they don't like how he plays, personally i do and he's grown on me over the years and come across as a really nice bloke. 

Surely people must understand if he wins by grinding down the other player, so what? all that matters is he gets the W, equally he can break build as well as anyone and pot most, its just like a game of chess really and by making it tactical he gains an advantage when he needs too. Class player and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up with the same as Ronnie/ Hendy or even passes them. 
  • Options

Lets not forget for these players this is there job, if they don't win they don't earn money.

Look at Brecel, how many times could or should he have played safe but instead he has gone for everything and finds himself 11-5 down

You may not like the way Selby plays, but he is a 4 time World Champion for a reason, because he can make big breaks but can also grind people down(an animal as Higgins called him)

Yes he lost that frame, but if he won it suddenly everyone would have been saying it was the right shot, if he went for the pink and missed and Allen won it would have been the wrong shot

I'm not being critical of Allen here btw, as even Murphy said at one point yesterday sometimes as a snooker player you get to the table and there are 2 or 3 shots you can play and your brain just fogs over on what is the best shot, when your in a world championship semi final that must make it 100 times worse 

In the end Allen played a fantastic shot forced a mistake from Selby and won the frame, so 3 and a half minutes was worth it from his POV.

My point was if it was Selby certain people would have been all over it.

But as I say none of us will ever know the pressure of playing in a world championship semi final, and what that does to your thought process, you could look at it on your TV screen and see the easiest shot, but when your in that environment your brain probably fogs up and you cant see it clearly
  • Options

I'm not being critical of Allen here btw, as even Murphy said at one point yesterday sometimes as a snooker player you get to the table and there are 2 or 3 shots you can play and your brain just fogs over on what is the best shot, when your in a world championship semi final that must make it 100 times worse 

In the end Allen played a fantastic shot forced a mistake from Selby and won the frame, so 3 and a half minutes was worth it from his POV.

My point was if it was Selby certain people would have been all over it.

But as I say none of us will ever know the pressure of playing in a world championship semi final, and what that does to your thought process, you could look at it on your TV screen and see the easiest shot, but when your in that environment your brain probably fogs up and you cant see it clearly
    I actually think Allen is harder to watch these days, also its good to see him reel it in a bit and had the results to back it up. He is playing similar to how Selby does now so it makes it tougher to beat, both can score as well as most but its all about percentages.

I do think people are overly critical of Selby, also he has speed up in recent years compared to how he used to be. He still might take a while over the odd shot but when he is flowing he isn't slow. Come on Selby, if not Si would be good to see him win after an amazing tournament but would prefer Mark ( betting and just generally think he is the best left) 
  • Options
    just got back from Sheffield, it was an absolute pleasure to be in the Crucible for this morning's session. Si really is something special, his break building is like watching old school Hendry but he has better long potting. A couple of his shots today were out of this world
  • Options
    My goodness, some of the shots Brecel and Si have been taking on tonight are unbelievable. Cracking game. 
  • Options
    My goodness, some of the shots Brecel and Si have been taking on tonight are unbelievable. Cracking game. 
    What a contrast to the other semi - ridiculous how long frames were taking. Hendry was pretty critical of it. Not a great advert for snooker.

• Options
    Brecel dead and buried at 14-5 down but has got it back to 14-10. If he can win the first couple of frames today, then surely Si will start to get nervous (if he isn't already).

Selby leads Allen 7-6 but the session ended up being only 5 frames instead of 8 because the frames were taking so long. Stephen Hendry said "It was not pretty. It is not snooker that I want to watch but I understand that snooker has to be played in different ways and balls can dictate that."
  • Options
    Will certainly be a contrast of styles in the final. Think both Si and Brecel might struggle in a tactical battle.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Brecel has now won 10 in a row and leads 15-14 

madness. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great comeback by Brecel.
  • Options
    Being cynical…what odds would someone have got on Brecel to win when he was 14-5 down…does make you wonder after recent corruption allegations in the game…
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Being cynical…what odds would someone have got on Brecel to win when he was 14-5 down…does make you wonder after recent corruption allegations in the game…
    Sadly given recent betting scandals it's a possibility. Ronnie's collapse also seemed pretty bizarre.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    not sure but you could get 14/1 when the score was 11-5
  • Options
    I thought we were in for another great come back last night but Allen just ran out of steam in the end. Both players made some unexpected errors the later it got and lots of it was quite attritional at times.

Should be an interesting contrast of styles today. 
  • Options
    yesterdays semi final summed up Selby. When his at his best he's pretty boring but when he's not playing well he's near unwatchable. Allen wasn't great but in the end came to life with some great pots. shame it was all too late. 
  • Options
    6 - 2 to Brecel after the first session. 

Brecel looking good. hope he doesn't get caught up in the spiders web of safety by Selby. Which i believe will be Selbys way of clawing back. 
    Talking of Selby, he don't half look exhausted. Belgium fans keeping him up outside his hotel maybe? 
  • Options

Brecel looking good. hope he doesn't get caught up in the spiders web of safety by Selby. Which i believe will be Selbys way of clawing back. 
    Talking of Selby, he don't half look exhausted. Belgium fans keeping him up outside his hotel maybe? 
    Well, to be fair to him, last night's semi didn't fininish until around 12:45 (if I remember correctly) as watched it - very late for me!
  • Options
    CafcWest said:

Well, to be fair to him, last night's semi didn't fininish until around 12:45 (if I remember correctly) as watched it - very late for me!
    true and i watched it as well. Pretty exhausting to watch as well as it being so late to finish. 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Sadly given recent betting scandals it's a possibility. Ronnie's collapse also seemed pretty bizarre.
    I've  been a bit of a snooker result sceptic ever since Taylor/Davis in 1985 .. Davis missing those blacks ? .. nah
    Brecel's results look dubious, BUT he is playing superb snooker and the prize money difference between a semi final and finalist is £100,000, with the chance of winning first prize of £500,000 .. a lot of money to give up despite the well known Chinese penchant for a bent 'gamble' .. Brecel's win over Ronnneee looks even more questionable, if you are of that mindset
    We know that snooker is prone to being fixed but  despite my doubts over Tayor/Davis, I doubt the really big tournaments are fixed nowadays, dubious betting trends are much more obvious (we hope lol)