Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options
    Ronnie called it as soon as he beat him. Mind you how Si didn't win the semi..

Really happy for Brecel though, he plays spectacular stuff. And actually, played some lovely safety in the game that mattered most, at 16-15
  • Options
    Honestly thought Brecel had gone to pieces when he had those successive frames towards the end when he didn't pot anything at all. Glad he pulled himself together. What a final it was - a 147, a big lead, a strong comeback, even a re-rack to boost the tension. And ending with a century as well. Great match.
  • Options
    A very interesting Worlds, nice to see a new winner.. although i was routing for Mark Selby. 

I did say I am not really a fan of Brecel, mostly based on his post 1st round interview... however i will take some back as he was very classy in his post match interview last night and really respectful towards Mark and his wife. He's not won me over just yet but he has gone up in my estimations, also he does play great there is no denying that. 

Overall, he deserve to win. The come back from Ronnie 10-6 and then Si (hopefully that doesn't break Si as he had a fantastic tournament too) 

In January one of the people on twitter said Luca will be World Champion this year, i responded ' Maybe one day, but too soon as he doesn't have the saftey game yet', i do find it hilarious and equally impressive the person who predicted it. proper egg on my face there :smiley:
  • Options

Chinese players Liang Wenbo and Li Hang have received lifetime bans for match-fixing in snooker's biggest corruption scandal.

A total of 10 players, all from China, have been disciplined by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA).

The allegations include manipulating games, approaching players to cheat, betting on snooker and fixing a match.

Yan Bingtao, the 2021 Masters champion, has been banned for five years until 11 December 2027, and UK Championship winner Zhao Xintong must serve a 20-month suspension that ends on 1 September 2024.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/65641122

• Options
    Brief summary of the bans, check WPBSA official statement for more: 

Liang Wenbo  - Lifetime
    Li Hang - Lifetime
    Lu Ning - 5 years
    Xintong - 1 year 8 months
    Jianbo - 2 years 4 months
    Bingyu - 2 years
    Bai Langning - 2 years 8 months
    Chen Zifan - 5 years
    Jianking - 2 years 11 months

Some have been reduced as they have pleaded guilty, it's worth looking at the offences to see why they are so different.

Hopefully now they have come down pretty hard on most, it might stop this thing happening again. Still a bit of a grey area, however they have been punished now so we move on. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Q school 1 - Was concluded last week but qualifiers: 
    Liam Pullen
    Ursenbacher
    Pagett
    Higginson

Q School 2 - This was completed yesterday
    Carrington
    Heathcote
    Dean Young
    Alfie Burden

only one new face, i enjoyed following the events but as a lot of people in snooker are saying they might want to look at changing the format as some of the players who have missed out. 

Personally i think something similar to golf/ darts where they have a second tour that mirrors it but then with a ranking system to reward the most consistent eg. top 8 get a card and then still have Q school. 

The Asian/Oceania Q school, we have had 2 qualifiers and the second one is currently being played:
    Thor Chuan Long - He has been on the tour previously
    Phetmalaikul - Actually down as english, he is 24 years old but don't really know much about him, he was the only English entry

• Options
    Five players have received increased bans from Chinese authorities for their involvement in snooker match-fixing.

Bingtao will be prevented from returning to the World Snooker Tour for seven and a half years, despite initially receiving a five-year ban.

Xintong is suspended until July 2025.

Lu Ning's ban has been extended to eight years, Bai Langning's to four years and Zhang Jiankang's to four years and five months.

The governing body has also backed lifetime bans handed to Liang Wenbo and Li Hang by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/65977212

• Options
    clive said:
    Five players have received increased bans from Chinese authorities for their involvement in snooker match-fixing.

Bingtao will be prevented from returning to the World Snooker Tour for seven and a half years, despite initially receiving a five-year ban.

Lu Ning's ban has been extended to eight years, Bai Langning's to four years and Zhang Jiankang's to four years and five months.

The governing body has also backed lifetime bans handed to Liang Wenbo and Li Hang by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA).

This is incorrect, the previous information confirmed their sentence but they got reduced sentences. 

Poor from BBC, but this is factually wrong and the previous numbers i posted were correct. They clearly haven't read the documents which are available to all for example Xintong was reduced to 1 year and 8 months. 
  • Options
    clive said:

This is incorrect, the previous information confirmed their sentence but they got reduced sentences. 

Poor from BBC, but this is factually wrong and the previous numbers i posted were correct. They clearly haven't read the documents which are available to all for example Xintong was reduced to 1 year and 8 months. 
    I think there is conflicting stories here that's why there has been confusion

The WPBSA initially handed out the suspensions but reduced them due to early admission and guilty pleas, however the CBSA(Chinese Billards Snooker Association) have said the players shouldn't have had reduced sentences so have said their bans will be full length bans for CBSA events, Which would be their best route back on tour as being Chinese players living in Asia(which I would assume the length of these bans they would go home for) but if they did try and get back on tour via Q School when the WPBSA ban ends they wouldn't be allowed to enter any Chinese event until the CBSA ban ends

So basically they bans haven't been increased technically but they are increased for Chinese events to what they were going to be as the suspended part of the ban will now have to be served as well.

TBH I didn't expect the CBSA to step in so the fact the did and in this manner shows they are not happy with these players and what they have done to the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thought I'll update the thread. 

Masters 2024

Two 147s this year. Ding had a tremendous 147 against Ronnie in the 1st round...
    shame John "where's the cue ball going" Virgo is STILL commentating for the BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/snooker/67912250

Mark Allen as part of his comeback against Selby in the quarter final got his 147.

Allen is now against Ali Carter in the semi. Allen is a frame up.

The other semi earlier saw an ok match with moaning about the cold O'Sullivan V Shaun Murphy. Ronnie got going through the gears to warm himself up in the last couple of frames to win 6-2.
  • Options
    Ali Carter 5 - 3 up on Ronnie O'Sullivan at the mid way point. 

Haven't seen any shoulder barges as of yet but that could still come after 7pm when the match resumes. 

• Options
    If any player deserves to win a Major it's Ali Carter.
  • Options
    edited January 15
    LenGlover said:
    If any player deserves to win a Major it's Ali Carter.
    I think he let Ronnie get to him in the last few frames - really went to pieces.  Must be difficult against someone who had beat him 17 out of 18 previous meetings!  
  • Options
    why don't they like each other - I've no idea but it was clear as day there's no love lost between them
  • Options
    edited January 15
    why don't they like each other - I've no idea but it was clear as day there's no love lost between them
    Think they've had a few run ins in the past over things Ronnie has said & the way he conducts himself.  I think he's publicly stated on more than one occasion that he finds Ronnie disrespectful & arrogant....which he is!!
  • Options
    Ali lost it in those last couple of frames. O'Sullivan did give him a chance or two to try and come back but by then Carter had already given up.  

The crowd were an embarrassment. Wish they would shut up. They are all fawning over Ronnie who on the most part doesn't really give a shit about them. I would of thought they would like an underdog to win but no, not that bunch of plebs. 
  • Options
    I remember they had a spat a few years back:

https://youtu.be/2AnIZvR1Egg?si=vBNFoeZutVFSkCoe

But I suspect it's gone on longer than that.  I think we can all understand why Ronnie might rub people up the wrong way.
  • Options
    Ali lost it in those last couple of frames. O'Sullivan did give him a chance or two to try and come back but by then Carter had already given up.  

The crowd were an embarrassment. Wish they would shut up. They are all fawning over Ronnie who on the most part doesn't really give a shit about them. I would of thought they would like an underdog to win but no, not that bunch of plebs. 
    Yeah Carter's head had gone by the time O'Sullivan left him two relatively easy reds to get back into it in the last frame. I'd imagine Ronnie could properly wind you up if you let him. 

• Options
    I think their fued is going to continue 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/67988328
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 16
    Bit more I found from the press conference about this back and forth between the two...

"Ronnie O'Sullivan in foul-mouthed rant at Ali Carter as Masters final aftermath turns nasty

Carter accused O'Sullivan of 'snotting' on floor and O'Sullivan responded by saying he needs to 'sort his fucking life out'

The duo have history following a shoulder barge incident during the 2018 World Championships - the only time Carter has beaten O’Sullivan in a major tournament - and there was obvious tension during the match at Alexandra Palace on Sunday.

O’Sullivan declared that “I love seeing it when their bottle goes” after Carter missed a series of chances in the final stages of his 10-7 defeat before taking offence at some of his beaten opponent’s post-match comments.

“There were a couple of things that happened out there that go unnoticed,” Carter said.

“Well, they don’t go unnoticed but anyone with an eyesight or a brain can see what’s going on. And it’s disgusting quite frankly. No-one wants to say anything, do they? Snotting all over the floor and all that.”

O’Sullivan, who had earlier hit out over what he called the “freezing…disgusting” state of Alexandra Palace, brandished a middle finger at the press conference after hearing of Carter’s claims. “He can sit on it as far as I’m concerned,” said O’Sullivan. “I don’t give a fuck. You know what he’s like, everybody knows what he’s like. He’s got issues.

“Fucking why has he got issues with me? I’m not having it. I don’t care, grow some balls. I don’t give a fuck. The more he brings it on, the more I fucking punish him every time.

“He’s just digging a grave for himself. He needs to sort his fucking life out. I haven’t spoken to him for 20 years.

“I played with him when he was a kid and shared a lot of stuff with him. I’m not going to skirt around it anymore, tip-toeing on egg shells around someone like that. Playing snooker against someone like that is a nightmare. He’s not a nice person.

“It’s not a nice vibe he leaves around the table. I’ve said my piece. I don’t give a shit. End of press conference? I suppose you’ve got your headlines, haven’t you?”

O’Sullivan had previously called Carter “Mr Angry” during their 2018 Crucible clash and has also twice beaten Carter in World Championship finals. Carter and O’Sullivan are both from the snooker hotbed of Essex and, with only four years separating them in age, have been regularly playing against each other for the past 25 years.

Carter had also hit out at the Ally Pally crowd, labelling them “morons” as a boisterous atmosphere led to the referee having to issue repeated warnings. After leading 6-3, Carter lost six of the last seven frames and O’Sullivan seemed to take particular pleasure at the manner of his comeback. “I just had to keep Ali honest,” he said. “I thought, ‘Let’s see if he’s got the bottle to get over the line’. That was the only thing that turned me on tonight.

“I thought, ‘Let’s get him to the point... where I want to see if he twitches’. I love seeing it when their bottle goes. I love it.”

O’Sullivan returns to the table at the World Grand Prix in Leicester on Tuesday night where he has been drawn against China’s Pang Junxu. He then plans to take some time out before his attempt to win a record eighth World Championship and complete a season’s ‘grand slam’ of major tournament wins after also triumphing in last month’s UK Championship. O’Sullivan is both the oldest and youngest winner of a ‘triple crown’ event.

Sunday night was also his 23rd ‘major’ victory, extending his all-time lead over Stephen Hendry to five. Carter was bidding for his first triple crown win."
  • Options
    Neither of them are coming across well.
  • Options
    I can't help but take Ronnie's side whenever something like this happens. He always keeps it real 
  • Options
    undoubtedly a real snooker master, probably the best ever, however as a person i m o he comes over as an arrogant, unfriendly, horrible, self centred chappie .. perhaps his appeal to all the 'cum on Ronneess' who follow, him about is also a bit of a guide to how modern 'heroes' are perceived and what is expected of them
  • Options
    Not sure what Carter has done wrong
    Video evidence that looks like Ronnie spat in floor v Hawkins 

So probably did it v Carter, the crowd were terrible, just look in twitter after the final and loads of people were saying how bad the crowd were, no need to shout cmon every single shot it gets ridiculous.

Ronnie was rude in the post match interview, insted if being gracious in victory he was obnoxious and then he comes out and tells Carter(a man who has had to deal with cancer twice and other health issues) to sort his life out and saying he has issues,

yeah no shit he has issues, with what he has dealt with, so have you, look at your issues, you have all the talent in the world yet you treat people like shit, you don't care about the game and your a completely and utter arsehole and think you have the right to call someone else out

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

As I have said many times before, I respect Ronnie asa snooker Player, I just can't stand the person and this last couple of days shows why.

Instead of celebrating winning an 8th masters and talking about possibly winning a season triple crown for the first time, he has to slag Carter off and cause the game to have more issues cos that's how he likes it

As I say, I don't think either of them are coming across well.
  • Options
    Not sure what Carter has done wrong
    Video evidence that looks like Ronnie spat in floor v Hawkins 

So probably did it v Carter, the crowd were terrible, just look in twitter after the final and loads of people were saying how bad the crowd were, no need to shout cmon every single shot it gets ridiculous.

Ronnie was rude in the post match interview, insted if being gracious in victory he was obnoxious and then he comes out and tells Carter(a man who has had to deal with cancer twice and other health issues) to sort his life out and saying he has issues,

yeah no shit he has issues, with what he has dealt with, so have you, look at your issues, you have all the talent in the world yet you treat people like shit, you don't care about the game and your a completely and utter arsehole and think you have the right to call someone else out

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

As I have said many times before, I respect Ronnie asa snooker Player, I just can't stand the person and this last couple of days shows why.

Instead of celebrating winning an 8th masters and talking about possibly winning a season triple crown for the first time, he has to slag Carter off and cause the game to have more issues cos that's how he likes it

As I say, I don't think either of them are coming across well.
    His pre match interview for the World Grand prix first round match

And every question is about Ronnie and whats been said, nothing about his opponents today or anything like that.

Rob Walker needs to address his line of questions there if you ask me, he has set Ali the questions and your moaning that he has answered them

Can you honestly say the way Ronnie has acted in the last 48 hours you dont think he isn't having some mental issues,

all Ali has said there is he feels sorry for him cos he isnt right mentally and thats clear, he won an 8th masters title is on his way to a season triple crown which he hasnt done before and instead of celebrating it, is trying to cause controversy and arguments 
  • Options
    Ronnie’s always been open in talking about his mental health struggles and I admire him for that. It’s below the belt for Carter to use it against him. It’s not how Ronnie reacts when he’s having problems. 
    They clearly don’t get on and coming back from where he did to beat Carter would feel good. He wears his heart on his sleeve, always has done, and the media know it makes headlines. 
  • Options
    The major issue with this is that both have said each other are not right in the head. Both have issues apparently, but to use it as a put down which they both have is poor. Neither seem to possess empathy which is a shame. They both come across as very small minded individuals. Ronnie being the more influential, successful and one who has spoken about his condition before should do better. Find the whole thing pathetic.