Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

worse gig you've ever been to but who you expected to be good?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I would think this would be the worst gig you have been to, if the idiot landed on you.

http://news.sky.com/story/1170154/rapper-watsky-sorry-for-stupid-gig-rig-jump
  • Options

seth plum said:

To square the circle a bit, when an impressed Hendrix first saw Bonham he remarked that Bonham 'has a left foot like a pair of castanets'.

Ginger Baker recently said that John Bonham "couldn't swing a sack of shit" - but Baker famously disparages all drummers apart from Elwin Jones and Baby Dodds....

Needn't have said anything after "disparages"!!
  • Options

and ELP at the Oval.

Was this the pollwinners concert? .....'melody maker' went there. Focus won best international I think.
    Yes they could be tedious, and overblown, but always liked Carl Palmer's drumming.......
  • Options
    Yes it was, they had two big cardboard tanks either side of the stage.
  • Options

seth plum said:

To square the circle a bit, when an impressed Hendrix first saw Bonham he remarked that Bonham 'has a left foot like a pair of castanets'.

Ginger Baker recently said that John Bonham "couldn't swing a sack of shit" - but Baker famously disparages all drummers apart from Elwin Jones and Baby Dodds....

Ginger really does not need to get involved in slagging off a fellow great in the world of rock drumming.
    Trouble is he does not regard himself as a rock drummer, but a 'Jazz Drummer', although his best work is progressive rock.
    His drumming with Blind faith, Airforce, and BG was just a rehash of what he had done. Pity, his drumming was inspirational to a legion of drummers.
    Great drummer, as a human being no comment.
    Mind you, get a few drinks inside Bonzo, and I know who my money would be on in a 'square up'?

• Options
    Bonzo's (single) bass drum technique was incredible.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Ginger really does not need to get involved in slagging off a fellow great in the world of rock drumming.
    Trouble is he does not regard himself as a rock drummer, but a 'Jazz Drummer', although his best work is progressive rock.
    His drumming with Blind faith, Airforce, and BG was just a rehash of what he had done. Pity, his drumming was inspirational to a legion of drummers.
    Mind you, get a few drinks inside Bonzo, and I know who my money would be on in a 'square up'?

Ken - Ginger doesn't seem to like being pigeon-holed, preferring to be called simply a "drummer", or a "musician". I can't imagine the outcome of a fight with John Bonham. Cream's biographer Dave Thompson recounts that in 1965 at a gig with the Graham Bond Organisation, Ginger "whiled away one of Jack Bruce's bass solos by throwing drumsticks at his head."

Bruce "hurled his own instrument at Baker, demolishing the drum kit and then fearlessly coming to blows with a drummer several times his size". Baker took it upon himself to sack Bruce from the band, but Bruce continued to turn up to gigs. "Baker pulled out a knife and let Bruce know precisely where he stood in relation to the Graham Bond Organisation: 'If you show up at one more gig, this is going in you.'"

• Options

seth plum said:

Ken - Ginger doesn't seem to like being pigeon-holed, preferring to be called simply a "drummer", or a "musician". I can't imagine the outcome of a fight with John Bonham. Cream's biographer Dave Thompson recounts that in 1965 at a gig with the Graham Bond Organisation, Ginger "whiled away one of Jack Bruce's bass solos by throwing drumsticks at his head."

Bruce "hurled his own instrument at Baker, demolishing the drum kit and then fearlessly coming to blows with a drummer several times his size". Baker took it upon himself to sack Bruce from the band, but Bruce continued to turn up to gigs. "Baker pulled out a knife and let Bruce know precisely where he stood in relation to the Graham Bond Organisation: 'If you show up at one more gig, this is going in you.'"

When I listen to drummers I like to be able to say 'Oh! I haven't heard that before.' Being yourself is so much better than sounding like anyone else. Ginger Baker's thing is that he is himself. So it's no good trying to do what he does. Bonzo on Baker......
    Anyway, Been listening to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y74PBrzoSfE
    The sound balance is all over the place, being a bootleg, but what a group........ Starts off with 'Tales'....... Clapton and the Gibson/Vox pedal, probably one of the earliest examples..... Then NSU etc etc....
    I think while they were touring the states, Jimi was in England, they came back and 'are you experienced' was the talk of the town.

Anyway this is the wrong posting for this lot, I am just waiting for someone on here to say Oh! I can play like that....... of course you can mate....... and then you woke up!

• Options

I saw DM lots of times in 1980/81, absolutely loved em, then just can't get enough came out and they went big time. Spoiled it for me although they've made some good music since. Saw Japan, OMD and Ultaravox around the same time, also saw Ultravox with John Foxx singing. Went to see Ultravox recently...absolute tosh!! Also The Fall at Koko a couple of years ago, Mark E Smith in a wheelchair...Cack!
    I'm an oldie but I do love Editors, also, White Lies, but they disappointed at the O2 a couple of years back, not because they were bad but because it was at the O2!

You saw Ultravox with John Foxx, OMG. Pure envy. I've turned into a Japan obsessed person, so if you saw Japan, I can only say I'm not worthy to be on the same thread as you.
    I have to say I ploughed on with OMD till they Split, and in retrospect,the last couple of years were painfully bad as they left behind their experimental stuff and tried to be Bros. I'm a bit waty of the comeback scene but I'd give it a go if the Price was reasonable. Mind you the last gig I saw was the Offspring.....great, but nearly ten years ago.

• Options
    I suppose the detached viewpoint Ginger has to his fellow players is the opposite of Bonham. To me Bonham isn't simply a rhythm maker, but a musician. As well as his brilliance Bonham was so empathetic to the fellow band members musically, their musical ideas and directions. Baker can bash it out, that's true. Bonham plants a kiss straight on your forehead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

I suppose the detached viewpoint Ginger has to his fellow players is the opposite of Bonham. To me Bonham isn't simply a rhythm maker, but a musician. As well as his brilliance Bonham was so empathetic to the fellow band members musically, their musical ideas and directions. Baker can bash it out, that's true. Bonham plants a kiss straight on your forehead.

Oh, Ginger has always been far more able than to just "bash it out". His whole musical upbringing was steeped in empathy for his fellow players - as a teenager he used to take his drums on the bus from his home in Eltham to the clubs of Soho, where he sat in with jazz bands. That's where he learnt all the tricky time signatures that are beyond most of even the best rock drummers.

They may seem dated or indulgent now, but Cream's extended versions of 'NSU', 'I'm So Glad' and others captured on live recordings at the Fillmore West were essentially improvisations - revolutionary in a rock context in 1968. Jack Bruce was classically trained and widely experienced in jazz and blues. Baker later said of Cream: "We were a jazz band - except we forgot to tell Eric."

• Options
    edited November 2013

I saw DM lots of times in 1980/81, absolutely loved em, then just can't get enough came out and they went big time. Spoiled it for me although they've made some good music since. Saw Japan, OMD and Ultaravox around the same time, also saw Ultravox with John Foxx singing. Went to see Ultravox recently...absolute tosh!! Also The Fall at Koko a couple of years ago, Mark E Smith in a wheelchair...Cack!
    I'm an oldie but I do love Editors, also, White Lies, but they disappointed at the O2 a couple of years back, not because they were bad but because it was at the O2!

You saw Ultravox with John Foxx, OMG. Pure envy. I've turned into a Japan obsessed person, so if you saw Japan, I can only say I'm not worthy to be on the same thread as you.
    I have to say I ploughed on with OMD till they Split, and in retrospect,the last couple of years were painfully bad as they left behind their experimental stuff and tried to be Bros. I'm a bit waty of the comeback scene but I'd give it a go if the Price was reasonable. Mind you the last gig I saw was the Offspring.....great, but nearly ten years ago.

I took the wife to see Japan at Hammersmith Odeon (I think) in about '82. She had a thing about Mick Karn.
  • Options
    I saw Ultravox at the Marquee With John Foxx was a great gig.
  • Options

I took the wife to see Japan at Hammersmith Odeon (I think) in about '82. She had a thing about Mick Karn.
    Probably the best ever band from Catford...wish I'd seen them in their day. Mick Karn had a tragic end I'm sad to say
  • Options
    Noss said:

Probably the best ever band from Catford...wish I'd seen them in their day. Mick Karn had a tragic end I'm sad to say
    Yes and only 52.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Saw the Graham bond organisation at the black cat club Woolwich around 1966 what a great night !
  • Options

TEL said:

Robert Plant at Hammersmith....truly terrible, but the night was saved by Allanah Myles as support who was about to break onto the scene with Black Velvet only to be never seen again.

Was that around 1995, on the back of a decent album? (Before the Page and Plant collaboration later on).

because if so, he was excellent here in Prague. But that of course can happen. I often think how they all manage on these big tours when they pick up a cold or something. You can't just can it when you are feeling a bit rough, knowing that 10,000 people are looking forward to it

No it would have been 89/90...I hear what youre saying though as I saw one of his live concerts recently on Foxtel and it was very good.
  • Options
    Saw Mott The Hoople at the o2 tonight....zzzzzzzz

Thunder supported and were brilliant though!!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

BDL said:

PJW1 said:

RUSH at the O2 this year were superb

O2 is not the best place for a rock gig.

Don't agree. Macca in 2011 and The Who this year were both superb gigs as we're the shows themselves. I think at the O2 you need the back-up of a big management. Having said that, The Stones must have all the support in the world and their show there was pretty ordinary.
  • Options
    Yeah, gutted when I read Mick Karn had passed away. Terrible that he went so Young.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My thoughts exactly... I have a bit of a bias towards Thunder though. Local band and know a couple of them. Have watched them evolve since the late 70's through White Noize, Nuffin Fancy and Terraplane.
  • Options

My thoughts exactly... I have a bit of a bias towards Thunder though. Local band and know a couple of them. Have watched them evolve since the late 70's through White Noize, Nuffin Fancy and Terraplane.
    very under rated live band. Definitely 1 of my favourite live bands. Always put on a great show. Danny Bowes voice is still top notch too!
  • Options
    I missed Thunder and Fish.
  • Options
    Think their booking agent will be getting the sack. Wrong venue for them.
  • Options
    It had the air of a reserve match about it.
  • Options
    Not good then?

Seats OK?
  • Options
    I enjoyed it Terry, seats were fine. I don't see how anyone can moan for a tenner.

Keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    Seats were ace, thanks mate.
  • Options

You wont be disappointed with the last two OMD albums .one of which came out this year , also their gigs are top notch .
    History of modern .
    English Electric .

• Options
    Riviera said:

I enjoyed it Terry, seats were fine. I don't see how anyone can moan for a tenner.

Keep 'em coming.

Not that I'm moaning as Thunder made the gig worth every penny but, as I paid £50 a ticket, is it ok for me to moan?? :)