Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Germany

Comments

• Options

Tom Cleverley and Chris Smalling. My god, i don't think we've had 2 worse players wear the England shirt since the days of Carlton Palmer and Geoff Thomas. Called up simply because of the club they play for. If they were at Fulham or West Brom they'd be nowhere near the squad.

Agreed - although I think Smalling will be a good player, he isn't yet.
  • Options

Re the centre half issue I still find it odd that you've got Michael Dawson captaining Spurs at the moment and he can't even get near the squad!

Agree 100%. Dawson, Cahill, Jags and a younger one, Caulker maybe. Don't rate Jones at all..
  • Options
    So do I, got to face it we don't have a depth of good centre halves, therefore stick with them and let them grow into international players.
  • Options

Switched over to the Sweden Portugal game, what a cracker

No spoilers please - following the England game on here from work. Got all the play-offs recording so I can watch them when I get home.

• Options

Right back is a problem position.

What do you expect - Solly's injured?!?

• Options

So Chris which English centre half's would you také to Germany. Let's say 4 leaving out Ferdinand and Jt who have ruled themselves out.

Cahill, Jagielka, Dawson and then anyone else. I'd even prefer to play Micah Richards at centre back ahead of Smalling. He is absolutely not good enough at the moment.
  • Options
    Let him grow into an international player???...Smalling still needs to grow into a Prem player.

Not long ago he was playing for Maidstone and it shows. His decision making and positioning is awful.

As said above, only in the England squad cos he's in Uniteds.
  • Options
    You forget he played for Fulham and stood out , Fergie fancied him and with all due respect, I value his opinion over yours, he isn't getting game time at United, at present because of Ferdinand and Vidic. This will change over the next year or so, in the meantime, gaining experience for England will help in the long run. People have to accept we have a gap between the Gerrardsn Lampards etc and it is going to také a little time to fill it. Although we done fuck all when they were in the team.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    He played 13 times for Fulham in the league and as you say he can't get into Uniteds team. If that warrants a plane ticket to Brazil then we will ship goals for fun. Thing is, I'm all for giving up and coming players international game time, but Smalling is a serious contender for a starting spot. That's so worrying if I was Roy Hodgson I'd on the blower tonight to Rio and JT to kiss and makeup.
  • Options
    CBs for Brazil. Smalling, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You forget he played for Fulham and stood out , Fergie fancied him and with all due respect, I value his opinion over yours, he isn't getting game time at United, at present because of Ferdinand and Vidic. This will change over the next year or so, in the meantime, gaining experience for England will help in the long run.

Well obviously he was a superb manager but he also signed the likes of Bebe, Anderson, Bellion, Obertan and Ralph Milne so i'm not having the argument that just because Fergie likes him he must be great.
    And him gaining experience for England won't help in the long run if he plays like tonight and continues to get picked for squads. Where's the incentive to improve if you get picked despite being dreadful?
  • Options
    What about Michael Dawson?
  • Options
    If smalling was at Spurs he would play in front of him.
  • Options
    Agree re Smalling, absolute liability. Similarly, Cleverley adds absolutely zilch.
  • Options

CBs for Brazil. Smalling, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones.

I'd probably swap Smalling for Dawson.
  • Options
    It winds me up to hear players constantly saying “It’s difficult because expectations are so high.” Are they mental? I don’t think an England team has ever had lower expectations.
  • Options

I'm not having that. How many goals have Spurs conceded this season, about 6 isn't it??
  • Options
    personally think micah richards should be given a chance,i like him
  • Options
    Smalling is better at centre half for england than he is right back . Didn't think he was that bad last night, I was there, certainly at fault for goal. Cleverly was ,well how can I put it, anonymous . Barkley did more in his 20 mins than TC did in 60. Henderson loomed good as well in short time he came on.

Fact of matter is we never made keeper make a save all night Sturridge too interested in flicks and tricks rather than doing what he does best for Liverpool running at defences. We had so many bloody opportunities to shoot and never took it. Thought we looked much better in midfield once Henderson Wiltshire and Barkley were together and we had lot more pace about us than with Gerard and cleverly.

Up front too many passes in and around box drove me mad

Joe hart was very good.
    Adam lallana impressed me as well thought he was excellent on the night .

• Options

I'm not having that. How many goals have Spurs conceded this season, about 6 isn't it??

what you are and aren't having does ne bother me.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    The game emphasised what we already knew .. there is a lack of talent, skill, desire (too often) and composure amongst English qualified players .. this is nothing new .. and like Charlton, England play better away from home when expectations are not so high and the fans are not so unforgiving and over critical.
    Bringing back Terry (although Uncle Roy will not, probably under instruction from the chiefs at the FA) and select the most experienced players is the only hope England has of doing anything in Brazil.
    As with CAFC, I can take defeat, but not hopeless, dithering, spineless performances.
    Nevertheless, the team showed bottle against Poland and Ukraine. Perhaps it is only friendlies and the risk of career and salary threatening injury which hold some of our players back in these games.
    EDIT: Lallana's performances have been encouraging
  • Options
    Agree Lincs.

The encouraging thing is we've only lost one competetive game in god knows how long.

Not expecting much from next summer apart from a bit of English pride and a good piss up.
  • Options
    Always thought Lallana would play for England regularly. Hope he gets in the 23 and would have him in the starting lineup ahead of Welbeck. He's like Joe Cole with an end product.

Agree that Cleverly and Smalling are both shit. Richards a much better shout at cb than Smalling or Jones. Biggest problem between Jagielka and Cahill is that neither of them have any pace. Richards is prone to stupid mistakes, but must be a better bet to have someone quick in reserve rather than two lummoxes like Jones and Smalling.

Townsend can make things happen, but tends to choose the wrong option a lot of the time. Hope he plays for Spurts all season and improves his decision making. Could be the spark England need to change a game.

Would like to see Baines play left mid, with Cashley behind him.
  • Options
    Usually we win these high profile friendlies which increases the hype and expectation so maybe seeing that last night will dampen hopes potentially helping Hodgson and the team in Brazil deal with the mass media and pressure...could go out and express themselves more?

• Options
    Basically we have a complete lack of talent (particularly at the back) but I think what worries me more, is the complete absence of any defensive plan.

The tactics in the last 2 games have been woeful, which to be fair to Roy is a bit of a surprise.
  • Options
    Love the look of Ross Barkley - this kid just seems to have something about him.

He has real drive and skill - could be a real Gazza at the WC.
  • Options

Basically we have a complete lack of talent (particularly at the back) but I think what worries me more, is the complete absence of any defensive plan.

The tactics in the last 2 games have been woeful, which to be fair to Roy is a bit of a surprise.

4-4-2 is really outdated at this level, but to be fair to Roy, its the time to try it and for it to fail.
  • Options
    What's the deal with Lescott at the moment? Why is he not in the squad, or in anyone's list of centre backs for the World Cup? Apologies for my ignorance, don't pay a great deal of attention to the Prem or the England team these days.

If I was in charge of England's World Cup preparations, the first thing I'd do would be to ditch Adrian Chiles - utterly cringeworthy last night. Why the hell is James Richardson stuck on ESPN while this chubby bore is on national telly?!
  • Options
    Would like to see

------------Hart
    ----Jagielka Dawson Cahill
    Richards--------------Baines
    -------Barkley-Wilshire
    ----------Gerrard
    -------Rooney Sturridge

given a go
  • Options
    Need to look at 4-2-3-1.
    Gerrard as defensive midfield with ?
    Rooney in the 3 with Barkley and ?
    Back 4, Johnson,?,Cahill and Baines.
    Walcott or Sturidge up front.

Fill the ? with the right players, defensive mentality and we will go far in Brasil.