Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tottenham - Six Goals In Open Play This Season

And we think CP's got problems. Well I would suggest AVB has more. That's their total in 11 and a half League games and he only spent just under £100 million this summer!

Edit - City might end up scoring that many against them this afternoon.

Comments

• Options
    Yes but he did lose Bale! ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Kap10 said:

Yes but he did lose Bale! ;-)

Indeed. Just goes to show that all those people who thought Tottenham were a one man team last season were totally wrong.

And that his season's exploits have nothing to do with playing 4-5-1 at home and no goalscorer up top.
  • Options
    LOL...I was watching the first half while reading posts on here at the same time.What a crazy game...Felt a bit sorry for Hugo Lloris who has just recovered from that horrible concussion.
  • Options
    Man City are class at home, that Negredo goal was unreal
  • Options
    They are getting absolutely hammered. Love it.

I can hear the Spurs fans saying: "And this is the sort of team we should be beating"
  • Options
    £100m spent, and they've gone backwards.

Love it.
  • Options
    Spurs are the most deluded and fickle fans in the country, AVB will be coming under a lot of pressure after this capitulation. But two weeks ago they were being talked about as a top 4 team.

Just sums up the fickle nature of football fansand the press now.
  • Options

Spurs are the most deluded and fickle fans in the country,

Fickle I'll concede but most deluded surely must still go to the MASSIVE Wednesday followers.

• Options

And we think CP's got problems. Well I would suggest AVB has more. That's their total in 11 and a half League games and he only spent just under £100 million this summer!

Edit - City might end up scoring that many against them this afternoon.

lol - they just have!

• Options
    Six! That just made my weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ruined my MOTD2 viewing experience. WTF
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    AVB was a failure at Chelsea and now he's a worse failure at Spurs .. everyone seems to think that Levy is a shrewd Chairman .. the appointment of AVB indicates that he is a dunderhead, especially allowing AVB to spent the Bale income on a bunch of 2nd rate foreigners .. to me this indicates that a manager like Wenger is on the right lines .. just buy one top player at a time, allow some time for integration
  • Options
    Blimey. Dont know where to start. I didnt watch the game earlier. I only saw the score after the game had finished and I nearly fell off my chair.

I dont know what to say tbh.

AVB was a failure at Chelsea and now he's a worse failure at Spurs .. everyone seems to think that Levy is a shrewd Chairman .. the appointment of AVB indicates that he is a dunderhead, especially allowing AVB to spent the Bale income on a bunch of 2nd rate foreigners .. to me this indicates that a manager like Wenger is on the right lines .. just buy one top player at a time, allow some time for integration

You may not be aware but all transfers last season were identified by a "transfer committee" which didnt include AVB, and this year, the transfers were mainly identified by Franco Baresi, the Sporting Director, who AVB requested that Levy brought in as that was the system he worked under at Porto.

I'm not convinced (yet) that any of the players we've signed in the summer are 2nd rate, I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season. They do need time. But (and its a very big but) AVB needs to utilize them in a system that actually works. Its fine playing a high defensive line to squeeze the space of the opposition and to retain the majority of the possession but when you they've got the ball, they need to use it. We pass the ball to death (even today we had more possession than City) but AVBs persistance on playing this inverted winger system just further reduced the space in the last third. Surely the wingers need to stay wide to provide Soldado with some service?

AVB has got this stubborn streak in him which does no one any favours. IMO, Assou-Ekotto is the best left back at the club and AVB farmed him out to QPR on loan. Arguably our best centre-back is playing left-back to cover. Soldado needs some help. Defoe isnt the answer. I know Adebayor has had a few "issues" but on his day, he's unplayable. He needs to be given a chance. AVBs stubborness to ostracise players and his insistence on using a system which clearly isnt working in endangering what was an ok start to the season.

Last season, AVB could pick his first choice XI. This season, he hasnt got a clue what his first choice XI is. My first choice XI certainly doesnt agree with what he has been picking.

Will he get time? Who knows. Levy's not exactly known for his patience, is he?
    Will be interesting to see what happens. Another hiding at the hands of Man Utd at WHL next Sunday, I reckon he'll be living on borrowed time.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Blimey. Dont know where to start. I didnt watch the game earlier. I only saw the score after the game had finished and I nearly fell off my chair.

You may not be aware but all transfers last season were identified by a "transfer committee" which didnt include AVB, and this year, the transfers were mainly identified by Franco Baresi, the Sporting Director, who AVB requested that Levy brought in as that was the system he worked under at Porto.

I'm not convinced (yet) that any of the players we've signed in the summer are 2nd rate, I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season. They do need time. But (and its a very big but) AVB needs to utilize them in a system that actually works. Its fine playing a high defensive line to squeeze the space of the opposition and to retain the majority of the possession but when you they've got the ball, they need to use it. We pass the ball to death (even today we had more possession than City) but AVBs persistance on playing this inverted winger system just further reduced the space in the last third. Surely the wingers need to stay wide to provide Soldado with some service?

AVB has got this stubborn streak in him which does no one any favours. IMO, Assou-Ekotto is the best left back at the club and AVB farmed him out to QPR on loan. Arguably our best centre-back is playing left-back to cover. Soldado needs some help. Defoe isnt the answer. I know Adebayor has had a few "issues" but on his day, he's unplayable. He needs to be given a chance. AVBs stubborness to ostracise players and his insistence on using a system which clearly isnt working in endangering what was an ok start to the season.

Last season, AVB could pick his first choice XI. This season, he hasnt got a clue what his first choice XI is. My first choice XI certainly doesnt agree with what he has been picking.

Will he get time? Who knows. Levy's not exactly known for his patience, is he?
    Will be interesting to see what happens. Another hiding at the hands of Man Utd at WHL next Sunday, I reckon he'll be living on borrowed time.

Good post, I saw Spurs play at Everton a couple of weeks back, lots of pretty passing but no end product at all.

Soldado looked light-weight and Spurs never looked like getting in behind Everton all game.

Sure Bale is a loss but you are not going to score goals playing one striker - Soldado - with nobody running in behind him so you have numbers in the box.

Big problems for AVB methinks, you don't score goals unless you have strikers in team that can score goals - and get plenty of bodies in the box.
  • Options
    Soldado looks as bad as failani nowhere near worth what they paid for him
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    smiffyboy said:

26 million is a lot of money, but he scored a lot of goals in Spain and I’ve seen glimpses of why he might be worth it. I don’t think he’s another Helder Postiga.

Paulinho at 17mil looks totally lost in the fast pace of the premier league and doesn’t look like he’s going to pick it up soon. Funnily enough, Spurs also paid 17mil for David Bentley (who they just let go for free and is still without a club), I’d say these two look similar.

They paid 30 million for Lamela who has only started one prem game so far. I read on sky news that he’s also having trouble adapting to premiership football. Seriously? If you pay 30 million for a player, he should be good enough to play.
  • Options
    Whatever Harry's faults, it's hard to say that Spurs have progressed since he left...
  • Options
    Chunes said:

smiffyboy said:

They paid 30 million for Lamela who has only started one prem game so far. I read on sky news that he’s also having trouble adapting to premiership football. Seriously? If you pay 30 million for a player, he should be good enough to play.
    It's not just the Premier League. I went to the game against a bunch of part time Norwegians. He simply didn't want to/couldn't take on the full back and he was having to be told where to go and who to mark.

• Options
    Soldado - another Spanish player who I thought would be perfectly suited to the premiership, a la Morientes, but just doesn't look like he cuts it.

Yet players like Mata and Silva, who I thought would both struggle, have been a success.

Most of Spurs' problems stem from a total absence of anything approaching intent in their midfield. They're good at the back, but don't transition well from defence to attack, and there's no point having a striker up on his own if you don't have either a supply of crosses into the box with late arriving midfield runners to pick up knock downs, or a player sitting in behind him creating chances for him and bringing others into play around him.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

smiffyboy said:

26 million is a lot of money, but he scored a lot of goals in Spain and I’ve seen glimpses of why he might be worth it. I don’t think he’s another Helder Postiga.
    Funnily enough, Valencia signed Helder Postiga in August as a direct replacement for Soldado.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Soldado - another Spanish player who I thought would be perfectly suited to the premiership, a la Morientes, but just doesn't look like he cuts it.

Yet players like Mata and Silva, who I thought would both struggle, have been a success.

Most of Spurs' problems stem from a total absence of anything approaching intent in their midfield. They're good at the back, but don't transition well from defence to attack, and there's no point having a striker up on his own if you don't have either a supply of crosses into the box with late arriving midfield runners to pick up knock downs, or a player sitting in behind him creating chances for him and bringing others into play around him.

Great point, 'intent' is a key word here, that is something they seriously lack in midfield.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I think you mean Franco Baldini. You could've done with Baresi at the back yesterday though!!

Soldado is a quality striker, as anyone who watches la liga will tell you. The system Spurs play doesn't suit him though, which begs the question why on earth did they spend 26m on him. They need someone to lead the line so probably should've gone for someone like Benteke instead. You're right in what you say though, for the system AVB plays, his best option up front is Adebayor.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

I think you mean Franco Baldini. You could've done with Baresi at the back yesterday though!!

Soldado is a quality striker, as anyone who watches la liga will tell you. The system Spurs play doesn't suit him though, which begs the question why on earth did they spend 26m on him. They need someone to lead the line so probably should've gone for someone like Benteke instead. You're right in what you say though, for the system AVB plays, his best option up front is Adebayor.
    I believe that they did try for Benteke but Villa wouldn't sell at the price Spurs were prepared to offer.

• Options

Great point, 'intent' is a key word here, that is something they seriously lack in midfield.

Totally agree with you and that was exactly the point I was trying to make. Its great having the majority of the possession but they need to hurt the opposition with it. Its something we've sorely lacked since Modric left the club. We werent playing well last year but we got out of a hole time and time again because we just happened to have one of the in-form players in the world playing for us at that time.

The thing that gets me though, it its glaringly obvious to me and you, why isnt it obvious to AVB?
  • Options
    AVB has said that is was very disappointing to lose 6 - 0 but thinks Spurs will still have a chance in the next set
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Totally agree with you and that was exactly the point I was trying to make. Its great having the majority of the possession but they need to hurt the opposition with it. Its something we've sorely lacked since Modric left the club. We werent playing well last year but we got out of a hole time and time again because we just happened to have one of the in-form players in the world playing for us at that time.

The thing that gets me though, it its glaringly obvious to me and you, why isnt it obvious to AVB?
    I guess a lot of it is sheer pride, AVB does not want change his system.

Thing is, you can play 4-5-1 if a genius like Bale is in the '5' but if he is not then you need to have a re-think.

I saw the Spurs - Hull game and they were so lucky to win that, they just seem unable to really hurt teams.
  • Options

AVB has said that is was very disappointing to lose 6 - 0 but thinks Spurs will still have a chance in the next set

haha, even I laughed at that.
  • Options

they have just conceded 6 in one game
  • Options
    When was the last time spurs played two up top?

Soldado is not a lone striker imo, especially in a physical league like the Prem.
  • Options
    That 6-0 will probably give spurs the wake up call they need. They are clearly not enjoying their football, if they were the goals would be coming. Spurs have problems all over the pitch they should get a better manager.