Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tottenham - Six Goals In Open Play This Season

Comments

• Options

When was the last time spurs played two up top?

I've been trying to wrack my brains to answer that. The last time I think we started with two up front in the PL was when Harry started with Adebayor and Saha against Ars*nal at the Emirates. 2 up in 10 mins then look what happened. I'm not convinced 2 up top is the answer. How many of the top teams play with 2 up now?

As for Soldado, did he play as a lone striker for Valencia? Genuine question as I hadnt seen an awful lot of him before this season.

There's no doubt there's pretty major issues that need sorting. 6 goals from open play in the PL this season is the telling statistic. Just not good enough.

I think you mean Franco Baldini. You could've done with Baresi at the back yesterday though!!

Oops, yeah, Baldini. Thats what I meant. Thanks for the correction :)

• Options
    Can't stand him, but Stan Collymore got it right on Sunday, the system and the players in that system don't matter when you play with the complete lack of pace and energy Spurs are currently playing with. They are playing at such a pedestrian place, everybody taking too many touches and too much time to then just pass the ball square.

The result is that by the time they get around to actually looking to deliver the ball the opposition are already waiting, hence no supply line up front. Also that's why the wingers end up in the middle of the pitch, they and Saldado end up going looking for the ball as it's never delivered to them.

So what is needed isn't a change of system, but a shift in tempo, press the opposition quicker, pass the ball quicker and create the space Saldado needs.
  • Options

Soldado - another Spanish player who I thought would be perfectly suited to the premiership, a la Morientes, but just doesn't look like he cuts it.

Yet players like Mata and Silva, who I thought would both struggle, have been a success.

Most of Spurs' problems stem from a total absence of anything approaching intent in their midfield. They're good at the back, but don't transition well from defence to attack, and there's no point having a striker up on his own if you don't have either a supply of crosses into the box with late arriving midfield runners to pick up knock downs, or a player sitting in behind him creating chances for him and bringing others into play around him.

they have just conceded 6 in one game
    ...and until that game had the best defensive record in the premier league.
  • Options
    It can't help that we are a third of the way through the season and AVB has not got a clue what his best XI is. You look at the top 5-6 teams in the table and they all pretty much know their best XI barring injuries/suspensions. I've no doubt if you asked 10 Spurs fans to name the lineup for their next game, they'd all come up with different options.
  • Options
    I rang White Hart Lane today to ask what time they kick-off on Saturday. Apparently every 15 minutes?
  • Options

I rang White Hart Lane today to ask what time they kick-off on Saturday. Apparently every 15 minutes?

lol .. the way you tell 'em .. the old ones is the best ((>)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

When was the last time spurs played two up top?

As for Soldado, did he play as a lone striker for Valencia? Genuine question as I hadnt seen an awful lot of him before this season.

I think you mean Franco Baldini. You could've done with Baresi at the back yesterday though!!

I understand he did with success but played better with another striker.

Decent players but Spurs team is less than the sum of its parts. This is AVB's fault. Appears no real plan B. Again AVB's fault.
    Thought AVB was a decent manager poorly treated by Chelsea. Now wondering if he is a manager who got lucky at Porto and is now getting found out.

Not all new signings will fit a club / a league. FB's signings were praised at the time of signing. FB should be judged over a longer period of time.
  • Options
    Playing upfront on your own in the Premier League is a different kettle of fish to la Liga. The Spanish league allows the ball into the strikers feet, there's plenty more room and your not likely to get rattled by someone like Ryan Shawcross.

It's asking a lot of Soldado and I actually feel a bit for him.
  • Options

Can't stand him, but Stan Collymore got it right on Sunday, the system and the players in that system don't matter when you play with the complete lack of pace and energy Spurs are currently playing with. They are playing at such a pedestrian place, everybody taking too many touches and too much time to then just pass the ball square.

The result is that by the time they get around to actually looking to deliver the ball the opposition are already waiting, hence no supply line up front. Also that's why the wingers end up in the middle of the pitch, they and Saldado end up going looking for the ball as it's never delivered to them.

So what is needed isn't a change of system, but a shift in tempo, press the opposition quicker, pass the ball quicker and create the space Saldado needs.

Good point by Collymore, they do play at a very slow tempo.
  • Options
    Bale was a massive source of goals for them, and with all their expenditure they managed to find nobody to anywhere near replace him. They also let Clint Dempsey leave, another positive goalscoring midfielder.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Problem is, Eriksen isn't playing and he is the creative spark. Holtby, Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele are all quite industrious, but lack attacking flair. Townsend is hit and miss, Lennon has no end product and Lamela looks lost. Soldado isn't fitting in to the system and AVB hasn't changed the way they play. People were falling over themselves to praise their transfer dealings, but I have yet to see any of them prove their worth
  • Options
    Soldado scored bundles at Valencia but only one was from outside the box. Sounds like he is a finisher but needs service from wide areas. Spurs need to address this and fast.
  • Options
    Strong rumour going round AVB gets the chop at 4pm
  • Options
    Shag said:

Strong rumour going round AVB gets the chop at 4pm

I've heard it too.

Have seen elsewhere in the last few hours that a number of players have leaked that AVB has lost the dressing room.
    Levy has shown in the past he isnt a patient man.

• Options
    did it happen
  • Options
    AVB is Mourinho without the fire. All that in-depth tactical training but he just comes across has having no b*llocks about him.
  • Options
    Nah not heard anything since
  • Options
    Didn't AVB get Spurs' highest ever points total in the PL last season?

I'm far from convinced myself but surely that alone means he should be given a chance?
  • Options
    Not much point paying 20mil+ for a striker if he never sees the ball.
    Watching game against Tromso, play to slow and to complex stuff.
    You can see why they struggle to score.
  • Options
    New record for Spurs today - first time since OPTA stats began Spurs failed to register a shot on target at home.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

New record for Spurs today - first time since OPTA stats began Spurs failed to register a shot on target at home.

they were dire all over the field even before the sending off .. AVB ? .. P45 time

Liverpool? ... Henderson is making a very strong claim for an England World Cup place
  • Options

they were dire all over the field even before the sending off .. AVB ? .. P45 time

Liverpool? ... Henderson is making a very strong claim for an England World Cup place
    I thought it was quite telling the way Daniel Levy just sat there after the match staring into space.
  • Options
    AVB will be gone, they've lost 6 nil, 5 nil and also don't forget the West Ham 3 nil already this season. Like AVB though seems a decent fella
  • Options
    AVB: "That (the sending off} was the key moment in the game. It didn't give us a chance to bounce back".

He must have been watching a different game.
  • Options
    Man City beat North London in straight sets - 6-0, 6-3,
  • Options
    Have Liverpool now scored more goals from open play than Spurs at whl?
  • Options
    LOL.... Am I on the correct thread?
  • Options
    rina said:

Suarez has scored more goals than Spurs in the PL this season...

Has he not been sacked yet? If he's still in the job by the end of this week, I'll be amazed. The one thing that could save him is that we've got a cup quarter-final on Wednesday night against West Ham. If we contrive to throw that away, I can see him gone before midnight on Wednesday.

• Options
    rina said:

I think Suarez has on his own. And he missed the first part of the season due to his suspension. AVB is clueless.
  • Options
    Stone said:

rina said:

I think Suarez has on his own. And he missed the first part of the season due to his suspension. AVB is clueless.
    Here's the proof :)