Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scottish Independence.

Comments

• Options
    The Scottish Independence Hype has at least kept ISIS out of the headlines for a few days however i am coming to conclusion that Scotland deserves itself .If they vote NO i think we should chuck them out anyway.
  • Options
    Want to see how a sparsely populated rural independent country with a history of parliament at Westminster might look? Well the Republic of Ireland is a pretty good example. Became independent from the UK in 1948. Never ending varying degrees of high unemployment and an always struggling economy. €100 euro per visit to A&E, 47.6% of the population have private health insurance. Required total bailouts well in excess of 170 billion euro including from the UK.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I think you will find that the Irish free state was formed in 1922. They had the Celtic Tiger boom from 1992-2007 during which a large number of Irish people returned. This boom was based on shadowing the Deutsch Mark, joining ERM and then the Euro.
    They may have started from a low base but they had self determination and a very healthy relationship with US business. When it fell over, one night they made an horrific and very expensive mistake one night. The government attempted to emulate Gordon Brown and took on the failed banks with all of their liabilities.
    Given that bondholders had already written off 50% this was expensive and in retrospect should have been handled at market value + underwritten by the bank of last resort, in their case the ECB. They are still trying to get Europe to pay some of the billions towards a decision which helped save the Euro.
    To me Ireland is a reason why Scotland has a choice of EU or Westminster...it simply cannot go it alone especially with the track record of their banks which are the only two to fall over big time in the UK.
    Unemployment was high in the 90s in Ireland with many graduates either going abroad for work, into teaching or post grads...but it improved rapidly during the boom.

No politician in this country wants to touch the NHS. It appears free but sooner or later someone needs to face up to how expensive it will be in 30-50 years. Splitting it up between national and regional assemblies might be a sensible way to get local elected people to make hard decisions?
  • Options
    May have been covered in the 19 previous pages, but the last time I wanted to trawl through that many comments was the Delort thread(s). If it is a 'no' vote, then surely Salmond has to go?

He's basically put this issue at the centre of his agenda for years, and has been working up to this moment. Or, will it all be seen as acceptable with all the concessions Scotland are likely to get as a result of a 'no' vote?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I woke up this morning thinking, two more days to go and then realised that either way they will still be chattering about this for months, years...
  • Options
    cabbles said:

May have been covered in the 19 previous pages, but the last time I wanted to trawl through that many comments was the Delort thread(s). If it is a 'no' vote, then surely Salmond has to go?

He's basically put this issue at the centre of his agenda for years, and has been working up to this moment. Or, will it all be seen as acceptable with all the concessions Scotland are likely to get as a result of a 'no' vote?

That was my view in August too but a Scottish friend of mine has stated he's held in high regard.
    A lot depends on the final % and how assertive no elements are in the run up to 2015.
    If Salmond keeps banging on then he will look anti democratic as well as destabilising the business environment.
  • Options
    Talking of sparsely populated Ireland. The population was around 8 million prior to the potato famine, and today it is about 6.3 million combined (N.Ireland and Republic). The population of the country has not recovered in 150 years.

London has gone from just under 3 million to just over 8 million during that time.

Enjoy (again)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu3IT1kGavE
  • Options
    Love it @seth plum‌... Regulators asleep at the wheel! Sums it up.
    To be fair the journalists should have given Salmond a much harder time about regulation, banks etc. They've all said they would relocate but have been very diplomatic as to why.
  • Options
    Yes activists attack a blind pensioner as he distributed Better Together leaflets

No doubt Salmond will ignore the violence and vandalism that's coming to a head tonight and tomorrow that's being largely orchestrated by Yes Scotland and instead blather on about how only those who vote Yes can claim to be Scottish.
  • Options
    Car crash 'debate' on C4 right now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Debate on channel 4 now.

Don't think I've heard one Scottish accent yet
  • Options
    If they vote Yes can the English have a vote on whether we will allow the Scottish to have the pound and if we say no then as it is the BOE pound can we tell them to f off...forever?
  • Options

Car crash 'debate' on C4 right now

To be fair it's probably better than the Salmond v Darling debacles !
  • Options
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    Have they gone yet?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Have they gone yet?

They're just waiting for Mel Gibson to turn up......
  • Options
    "It's ringing in my ears... It just won't go away!!!!"

"Arrrgh"
  • Options

PL54 said:

Have they gone yet?

They're just waiting for Mel Gibson to turn up......
    To be completely honest I did wonder the other day why Mel Gibson hadnt commented on which way his vote would go and whether he thinks Scotland should remain as part of the UK or not.

Only reading the above Quote has made me realise he's not Scottish at all... He's bloody Australian you dumbarse @ForeverAddickted!!
  • Options
    In case anyone is wondering anal sex mold is an anagram of Alex Salmond.
  • Options
    Well the debate on channel 4 was a shocker. Vivienne Westwood pulling facts out of thin air for the 'yes' vote.
    Some Scottish rugby boy claiming less firemen will be attacked in the street and kids will stop spitting if you vote 'no' !
    Laughable, which is pretty much what this whole episode is. As far I can fathom out ,the main reason for voting yes is to stop the rotten Eton mess from Westminster from spending all of their money. Understandable I suppose, most English people are not too happy with that either.but I can't help but think that voting yes will be the equivalent of taking a carving knife to their face and cutting their nose off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've only just seen the front page of yesterday's CITY AM which reckons if the yes vote goes through Scotland will need to borrow £100 billion in the short term to cover potential financial liabilities/commitments, that get this, the rest of the UK will have to lend them. Unbelievable. This is becoming more farcical by the day. It's basically like some stroppy teenager who is ready to move out, has been shouting and moaning that living with their parents isn't doing their street cred any good, but if they go, they want their parents to fund them.

If they really want this, then I expect them to have contingencies and have planned for such outcomes. This £100 billion will have to come from the British taxpayer so now it becomes a joke. Why are we being hit (again) for other people's poor decision making. If this is the case then at the very least I hope the levels of interest we impose upon an new independent Scotland are to say the least, giving us a proper pay back.

I'm not sure if this pisses me off more than bailing out the banks.
  • Options
    Mate there is only one 100% given in this, which ever way it goes the people of ENGLAND pay.
  • Options
    Surprised none of you have commented on Andy Murray, I know he is a favourite of CL
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I've only just seen the front page of yesterday's CITY AM which reckons if the yes vote goes through Scotland will need to borrow £100 billion in the short term to cover potential financial liabilities/commitments, that get this, the rest of the UK will have to lend them. Unbelievable. This is becoming more farcical by the day. It's basically like some stroppy teenager who is ready to move out, has been shouting and moaning that living with their parents isn't doing their street cred any good, but if they go, they want their parents to fund them.

If they really want this, then I expect them to have contingencies and have planned for such outcomes. This £100 billion will have to come from the British taxpayer so now it becomes a joke. Why are we being hit (again) for other people's poor decision making. If this is the case then at the very least I hope the levels of interest we impose upon an new independent Scotland are to say the least, giving us a proper pay back.

Did it explain why we would HAVE to lend them the money? I honestly don't see what reason there could be. The amount seems really high too. Public expenditure in Scotland is only about £60bn a year.
  • Options
    Jints said:

cabbles said:

Did it explain why we would HAVE to lend them the money? I honestly don't see what reason there could be. The amount seems really high too. Public expenditure in Scotland is only about £60bn a year.
    I glanced at the headline to be fair. The opening paragraph intimated to the reaction of businesses domiciling elsewhere and other costs that would result outside of public expenditure. I'm sure it's sensationalised for headline purposes, but I do think we would bear a cost. That's my issue really. They want the cake, us to pay for it, serve it to them and clean up any mess that might result. I'd be inclined to take a very hard line and say you wanted this, you pay for it. However commerce/business is so interconnected through globalisation we would probably have to lend them the money to protect our business interests etc. I don't know, I completely bemused by the lack of forward thinking on both sides if this goes through.
  • Options
    It's not a lack of foresight. It is a refusal by UK government to pre-negotiate the terms of Scottish secession. By making arrangements the government is admitting it is a possibility, giving further encouragement to the Yes campaign. Its not sensible, but it is politics and I can see why they took that stance
  • Options

Surprised none of you have commented on Andy Murray, I know he is a favourite of CL

Andy Murray has stated he has voted Yes, how come he gets a vote as his main residence is in Wimbledon?

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Andy Murray has stated he has voted Yes, how come he gets a vote as his main residence is in Wimbledon?

I don't think Murray can vote
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    He can't vote - he is so proudly Scottish and keen on their independence that he lives in Oxshott, Surrey