Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scottish Independence.

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

I've only just seen the front page of yesterday's CITY AM which reckons if the yes vote goes through Scotland will need to borrow £100 billion in the short term to cover potential financial liabilities/commitments, that get this, the rest of the UK will have to lend them. Unbelievable. This is becoming more farcical by the day. It's basically like some stroppy teenager who is ready to move out, has been shouting and moaning that living with their parents isn't doing their street cred any good, but if they go, they want their parents to fund them.

If they really want this, then I expect them to have contingencies and have planned for such outcomes. This £100 billion will have to come from the British taxpayer so now it becomes a joke. Why are we being hit (again) for other people's poor decision making. If this is the case then at the very least I hope the levels of interest we impose upon an new independent Scotland are to say the least, giving us a proper pay back.

I'm not sure if this pisses me off more than bailing out the banks.

If they lend it from us all well and good, as long as they keep up repayments. They must remember their home is a risk ..........
  • Options
    Missed It said:

It's not a lack of foresight. It is a refusal by UK government to pre-negotiate the terms of Scottish secession. By making arrangements the government is admitting it is a possibility, giving further encouragement to the Yes campaign. Its not sensible, but it is politics and I can see why they took that stance

Oh it's OUR fault?

That's ok then, normal service resumed...
  • Options
    Just watching the results coming in on Sky News now. So far, it's still 0-0.
  • Options
    President of YouGov Peter Kellner says whilst he once said there was an 80% of a 'No' victory, now believes is a 99% chance

Last poll: 54% No. 46% Yes.
  • Options
    No- 67%
    Yes- 33%

They'll bottle it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Who is Andy Marr?
  • Options
    Apparently Glasgow may be voting yes.
  • Options

Who is Andy Marr?

Johnny Marr's brother?
  • Options
    Poll of those already polled before today on how they actually voted points to a certain No victory, 54% to 46%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like Falkirk has voted 'No'.

If that's the case Salmond isn't going to win.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Salmond has won no matter what the result.
  • Options
    Allegations of electoral fraud in Glasgow; people turned up to vote only to find that they'd apparently already voted

Criminal investigation launched
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Addickted said:

Salmond has won no matter what the result.
    When he's been rejected by the majority of people he's been appealing to?

For 15 years.

• Options

Allegations of electoral fraud in Glasgow; people turned up to vote only to find that they'd apparently already voted

Criminal investigation launched

Did they do a postal vote and then turn up anyway? I wouldn't put it past some people.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    First results announced around 2am with key results coming in at 3am...85-90%+turnout!!!
  • Options
    Whatever the result it's been a great day for democracy.

Reports of turnouts between 85% and 90%.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Whatever the result it's been a great day for democracy.

Reports of turnouts between 85% and 90%.

Indeed. The only countries that manage higher turnouts are Russia, Zimbabwe and North Korea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2014
    This is now getting hilarious on BBC1. The NO Vote has obviously won quite comfortably but as they are paying people all night to work they are trying to drag out the result. Jeremy Vine is as unfunny as his brother is and the succession of YES people Hugh Edwards has had on his panel have all looked as uncomfortable as their predecessor. As time goes on and reports come in it is comical the way these people hang on to the ridiculous theory that the Nationalists may win that just makes the YES lot look stupid.
    It's all over, it was all over years ago.
  • Options
    Word is that Glasgow has gone YES. That was always a given but the vote is only 56/44 and they really needed a lot higher than that. Really needed 66/44.
  • Options
    66/44? Is that including those votes SELR mentioned earlier? ;-)
  • Options
    Gordon Brown has seemed very keen to cede more powers to Scotland in the wake of a tight vote. If only he was ever in a position of authority where he might have actually enabled further devolution.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Fiiish said:

Gordon Brown has seemed very keen to cede more powers to Scotland in the wake of a tight vote. If only he was ever in a position of authority where he might have actually enabled further devolution.

Gordon Brown's constituency is in Scotland, he needs a NO or he'll be out of a job eventually. That is why he was promising Scotland the world the other day.
  • Options
    This may have been asked before, but I wonder what the vote would be in England if we were offered to go independent from Scotland, Wales and N Ireland?

I really cannot see that being much different from 90/10 in favour.
  • Options
    Clackmannanshire votes NO 54% YES 46%
  • Options
    First result 54:46 for no but no idea how that area fits in to bigger picture - assume no vote will be guaranteed within the hour (or two) as other results come in.
    England doesn't need independence because London has been running the show. We are on the bigger stage because of our history and values.
    What matters is people's participation and the big ideas on the table for our country in this century.
  • Options
    Orkney votes No in Scotland's independence referendum; 33% Yes, 67% No,
  • Options
    3 of 32 declared

YES 26,902 NO 38,991