Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading V Charlton Athletic |3 December 2013|Preview, Views, Line-Ups and Predictions

The Intro Bit

As rumours persist of new owners and new grounds for the Addicks, fate would have it that we travel to the Madejski, to many the epitome of the soulless, modern, out of town, your future dream is a shopping scheme, indistinguishable from all the rest, bowl stadium.

Why all that may be true the 24,000 seater venue also houses an hotel and conference centre while the ground is also home to London Irish Rugger Club. Their earning potential is certainly greater than at Elm Park, they have been able to host top flight football and they had plans to expand the capacity until relegated last season.

To misquote Lincoln Steffens "I have seen the future and I'm not sure if it works"

But we have more mundane matters such as three points to concern us on Tuesday.

The Opposition

Just like last week v Doncaster we face a team that played and won on Friday night, is this case 3 - 2 at Forest. And just like last week our opponents will be missing a key player after Gunter was red carded.

Other than that enforced changed the Royals/Biscuitmen are likely to stick to the same side.

They score goals even when, as on Friday, they leave six goal top scorer Adam Le Fondre on the bench. But they let them in too. 20 goals conceded is the same as Charlton and that includes five against Massive Wednesday.

Player to Watch

19 year old Jordan Obita is starting to earn himself a reputation as a young, up and coming goal scoring winger

The Line Up.

Chris Powell's plea for loan players to bolster the squad going into the busy Christmas period fell on deaf or possibly distracted ears so we stick with what we have. When you exclude those out on loan, the injured Solly, Hamer and Cort and the untried kids that is just 21 players. That also includes the disappeared Gower and Pritchard, the latter of whom has normally been a part of Powell's squads.

That may not be great for Chrissy but it certainly makes writing these previews easier.

So same again because bar Harriot and Pritch there do not appear to be many other options.

Alnwick

Wilson Morrison Dervite Wiggins
Stewart Stephens Cousins Jackson
Kermorgant
Chruch

The Useless Fact

Youngster Dean Chandler played his only game for the Addicks v Reading and scored. He went on to have a long career in non-league football and also represented England's Learning Disability team.

The Prediction

The Reds get back on the road and back on track. 0 - 0

Comments

• Options
    Pritch was warming up with the youth players today, as was Gower I think. So I don't think they've disappeared, but not sure they'd add much at the moment as it is in attack that we're so woefully lacking.
  • Options
    Elm Park was one of the worst shitholes in the Football League . Never been to the Majeski but however soulless it may be, it has to be a thousand times better than their former hovel!

Away win 0-1, because this team is just so bloody confoundingly, infuriatingly inconsistent it would be just like them to bounce back from a no-show like today with a battling performance of heroic proportions..
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Pritch was warming up with the youth players today, as was Gower I think. So I don't think they've disappeared, but not sure they'd add much at the moment as it is in attack that we're so woefully lacking.

I'd forgotten about Gower.....

• Options
    how about Wood for Devite?
  • Options
    Another loss. 1-4. The lack of tactical nous from manager and coaching staff is becoming a serious concern.
  • Options
    1-0 defeat with us venturing into their half on two whole occasions
  • Options
    Was dean chandler the fella who got done for drugs around the same time as lee bowyer or am I just going wibble(r)

Reading will score for fun but if Dale doesn't turn up we a haven't got a chance

3 or 4-0
  • Options

how about Wood for Devite?

Would be an option. I was thinking more of other players outside the current 18 man squad
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    I need to get the fence splinters out of me bum , anything goes with this one for me , we could get smashed by 4 or 5 , or sneak a 1-0 win , depends on the mindset of the players, and if they can quickly shake off todays result, and bounceback quickly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Elm Park was one of the worst shitholes in the Football League . Never been to the Majeski but however soulless it may be, it has to be a thousand times better than their former hovel!

Away win 0-1, because this team is just so bloody confoundingly, infuriatingly inconsistent it would be just like them to bounce back from a no-show like today with a battling performance of heroic proportions..

Maybe but we had some good days out to Elm Park.
  • Options
    The Madjeski is utterly souless. Will away tickets be available for walk up fans? I have been out of the country and haven't been to an away game in years.
  • Options
    and I meant to add I don't know what the rules are on ticketing nowdays.
  • Options
    Best we can hope for is the game being called off.

4-0 Reading. Our toothless attack making another appearance, mixed with poor defending on this occasion.
  • Options
    I suspect a narrow defeat but i'm going for a 0-0
  • Options
    We play well with a five man midfield and scrape a hard fought 1-0 win against a much superior side.

Everyone then calls for two wingers and two strikers for our next home match which we promptly lose.

"Deja vu" as they say at Paris St Germain.
  • Options
    This is Charlton. They never fail to amaze. 1-1 and a welcome point against the odds.
  • Options
    3-5-2
    Alnwick
    wood devite morrison
    wilson stephens jackson cousins harriot
    kermo church
    first woods has been missed and needs to come back in.
    second jackson cant play out wide[or in a 4 man midfield in middle so we have to have 5 in midfield and kermo is not fit enough to play up front on his own and church is not good enough to play upfront on his own.
    third stewart is pants and shouldnt ever play for charlton again
  • Options
    timken said:

3-5-2
    Alnwick
    wood devite morrison
    kermo church
    second jackson cant play out wide[or in a 4 man midfield in middle so we have to have 5 in midfield and kermo is not fit enough to play up front on his own and church is not good enough to play upfront on his own.

3 - 5 - 2 might be a good option.

Could get us a clean sheet and so at least one point.
  • Options
    We play better away from home but are up against a team bang in form, a fairly high scoring team but one that also concedes quite a few.
    It depends what Charlton team turns up, if it is switched on and starts quickly or is half asleep at kick off and only wakes up when it is far too late.
    I have a feeling that happy valley SE7 has become a poisoned valley, the players just do not like playing there anymore.
    I think that we will put up a good performance ... BUT will lose this one

Alnwick .. Wilson Wood Morrison Wiggins .. Harriott/Jackson Stephens Cousins Stewart ... Church Kermorgant.
    I am unsure who will do better, Harriott or Jackson. Whenever I've seen Jackson (away only) this season, he has played well. Perhaps another case of valleyitis. But we need to attack if we want any result at Reading, so it's Harriott for me.

Reading 3 v CAFC 2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reading 3-0 Charlton
  • Options
    I'll be delighted to get anything at all from this match.
  • Options

timken said:

3-5-2
    Alnwick
    wood devite morrison
    kermo church

3 - 5 - 2 might be a good option.

Could get us a clean sheet and so at least one point.
    Reading use a 4-4-1-1 system, so we will need an extra central midfielder, with Cousins playing in front of the centre backs to pick up the player in the hole. I think CP is more likely lto go 4-1-4-1. The big decision will be who to play up front. If its Church, we have a threat running in behind but no hold up play and he is easily isolated. If its Kermorgant, we lapse into long balls, plenty of flick-ons but no threat in behind the opposition Back Four. Church should be right up for it, with something to prove to his old club.

If we go 3-5-2, we will have three centre backs against a lone centre forward, an extra man in central midfield, but vulnerable to two-against -one overloads on both flanks. Which is a big risk.

Ipswich stopped us playing by matching up to our 4-4-2 system and taking out our strongest players from the Doncaster game, Stephens & Stewart. They played a tight line to limit Church running in behind and tried to stop the full backs getting forward. The result was a combination of hoof-ball and frustration. We have to do the same to Reading and produce a similar performance to Blackburn & Birmingham away.

• Options
    A friend of mine has a box at Reading, so I'll be knocking back a few glasses of red in order to anaesthetise myself against the possibility of another dodgy performance. I took an Ipswich supporting mate along to the Valley yesterday, so have had enough humility for now.

I've not seen Reading on telly this season but their home record is strong and they look as if they're coming into some form. I'd expect them to establish a reasonably high tempo from the start and pin us back for long periods, leaving our striker(s) isolated. Although we are a better proposition away from home, I fear that we'll lose this one by a couple of goals.

As ever, I live in hope that we may be able to nick something - especially if there is any complacency on their part - but the game that really matters is Yeovil next Saturday.

• Options
    They'll score 1 or 2, we'll score 0 or 1.
  • Options
    I'd take a draw, I'll go for a 0-0, solid back against the wall job.
  • Options
    Sordell to start with Church. Not convinced that Kerm is fit.

I wanna see a Wiggins/Evina left flank
  • Options
    Haven't been to the Madjeski before. Whats the best way to get there from Reading station? and how long does it take? Cheers
  • Options
    Last time I went to Reading they had shuttle buses from the station which go directly to the stadium. Not sure if that's still the case
  • Options
    Defeat 45%, Draw 40%, Win15%.