Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SCP

Comments

• Options
    So can any of those who want him to go offer a suitable, financially viable alternative?

I don't know what Powell and his management team earn but I am sure that it is not megabucks.

I'm sure the owners would try and get someone who is cheaper so that rules out pretty much anyone who has managed at this level and above in the last few years.

Therefore it would probably be someone we currently employ or someone who is managing a team below us.

With the current situation we are in I honestly can't see anybody who would relish the job.
  • Options
    Sorry but this is just a matter of fact now.I've stated before how id love SCP to take us to the promised land and what a fairytale it would be.BUT, thats 4 points from 21, 1 win in 7! Thats relegation form in any leagie at any time. His substitutions smack of desperation. He doesn't seem to know how to change/influence a game!Really sorry, but I love the man, but he is a poor poor manager. Look at tje facts with your head and not the fairytale with your heart and you have to agree!Please show me evidence to the contrary of you can, I would love to see it!!
  • Options
    There are deep problems with Charlton Athletic - Powell is not one of them. I can't see him walking, there is no cash to get rid of/replace him... but I can't think of a single manager who could do much better with the crap he's got to work with.
  • Options
    I don't think he will walk. He knows by doing so that he will leave us in more shit than we already are and he loves the club, fans and his players.

If he is told to go then he will do so with dignity. Whatever people think about his selections, tactics and playing style he remains a classy and dignified man.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

DMC said:

I dont think Chrissy will walk, I think when you care about a club like he does he will feel more inclined to continue managing when there is a total lack of support from the board like this. He made all the right decisions today and is a fantastic manager. On the plus side Morgan Fox managed to score at his loan club! well done mate

He made all the right decisions today, fuckin hell where were you, certainly not at the Valley.

I was at The Valley and I agree with DMC.

Derby have a strong midfield and we set up to neutralise that and largely succeeded too.

We lost to a deflected free kick and a breakaway goal when we gambled on 4-3-3 for 10 minutes or so to grab an equaliser. A gamble worth taking in the circumstances.

What "wrong decisions" would you have done different Steve?
  • Options
    I think powell is cack as a manager but to qoute AFKA i cannot see us attracting anyone better at mo as i think it will be one numb nut to another re Dowie to Reed. We are going down i accept that so for me the next home game i belive we should all unite to drive them feckers Cash and TJ out of our club or at least make it uncomfortabe for their stooges sitting in the directors box.
  • Options
    Can't see him resigning. Warnock says in his column today that 40% of managers outside the prem league never get a second job.
  • Options

Powell isn't the problem.

• Options
    Correct, it's deeper than that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Personally I am officially begging Chris NOT to walk.
    Chris, this is your management rite of passage mate, and you are being strong, and handling the test pretty well.
    You are doing it for us and I am immensely proud that you, Chris Powell, are our manager.
    100% no question.

This...

Absolutely agree! He will make mistakes and learn from them. Just wish this damn board would be positive and help him.

this...
    thenewbie said:

There are deep problems with Charlton Athletic - Powell is not one of them. I can't see him walking, there is no cash to get rid of/replace him... but I can't think of a single manager who could do much better with the crap he's got to work with.

this...

Powell isn't the problem.

and this.
  • Options
    If it wasn't Charlton he may walk. But I think he will stay because he loves the club.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

94% in favor of Powell from 50 votes so far

Well that's sorts it then!! He's great, let's rejoice.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Personally I am officially begging Chris NOT to walk.
    Chris, this is your management rite of passage mate, and you are being strong, and handling the test pretty well.
    You are doing it for us and I am immensely proud that you, Chris Powell, are our manager.
    100% no question.

Absolutely agree! He will make mistakes and learn from them. Just wish this damn board would be positive and help him.
    A lovely bloke but he ain't learning. Nothing wrong with that coz like the rest of us he's human and susceptible to failure. C'est la vie boys & girls - no one is going to support me if I don't have the aptitude in my working life and CP wouldn't want it any other way!
  • Options
    he might walk. pissing against the wind with the wankers in charge that we have.
  • Options
    Sorry lads and lasses. Today was painful. We have performed well twice this season ( Doncaster and Leicester ). That's not good enough. If I don't perform at work I get dismissed. Simple. SCP is a legend but do we want him to take us down. Bring in curbs on a short term contract. The club is bigger than a charlton legend. The team are huffing and puffing but unfortunately not good enough.
  • Options
    Curbs turned down a short to end of season contract with Wolves when they were in the EPL . Why would he want to come back to Charlton until the end of season.
  • Options
    Get real! I know plenty of people who don't work in the privileged world of public services who accepted 30% reduction on pay in order to keep their jobs in 2009 and still worked a damn good shift!

Managers are paid to improve performance in the work place and that's not occurred this term. The rot started when Gower and Hughesy were selected at CM at the Cherries and we've struggled ever since.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    JonnyK said:

Get real! I know plenty of people who don't work in the privileged world of public services who accepted 30% reduction on pay in order to keep their jobs in 2009 and still worked a damn good shift!

• Options
    We really could do with some decent firepower up front coming in January, it would really give the place and fans a lift.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    JonnyK said:

Not a political statement, mate. Just a simple analogy. Anyway, don't really want to get into a political discussion on this thread or at this time of night. Not when I could be accessing all those privileges...

• Options
    No political statement - a real world management statement.

Most managers in FL have reduced budgets this time around and they just have to use their limited budget wisely and improve the work force at their disposal. Remember CP brought in all the players save Quality, JC and CH not the Board.
  • Options
    Great post Oakster.

• Options
    I saw Powells interviewer on the FL show last night he looked a wee bit emotional IMO.
  • Options
    My colours are firmly nailed to the Oakster view but a close friend made an interesting comment. "The players need a boss not a father figure". Well I thought it was interesting.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

No political statement - a real world management statement.

Most managers in FL have reduced budgets this time around and they just have to use their limited budget wisely and improve the work force at their disposal. Remember CP brought in all the players save Quality, JC and CH not the Board.

Unless you have the playing budgets of the entire Championship at your disposal, and they show some figures which would surprise a lot of observers, I would assert that your statement is incorrect. In the other thread you implied that CAFC were almost overshooting FFP. I pointed out by referring to Mundell Fleming's excellent article on FFP on the Trust website that your assertion is a distortion of the real picture. Many clubs (such as Forest) seem set to ignore FFP. Others, such as QPR have a massive playing budget because of the parachute money. SCP has to compete with all them.

So I don't know the basis of your claim that Most managers in FL have reduced budgets this time around , but I very much doubt that CP has a playing budget significantly higher relative to our position. If you can prove me wrong, I'd be interested in the figures, as would everyone else who is interested in the finances.
  • Options
    I would imagine that many clubs of equivalent standing to ours in the Championship have seen a reduced budget this season. The effect of this can depend on where you are starting from and what CP has had to contend with is a reduced budget on last seasons equivalent to a reduced budget, following a good but Div1 budget. It is this cumulative effect that has put CP into the position he is.

I don't necessarily think CP has used his limited funds wisely (Sordell, Gower) however when you are buying from the "Supermarket of Barrel Scrapping" your purchases are done with a certain degree of finger crossing.

I'm not "in Powell we trust", but I don't think he has been given a playable hand and that if we do have a take over then we need him to be given the opportunity to show what he can do with reasonable investment. as has been pointed out we have an OK defence and midfield, so a decent investment there and a good investment in the front line could propel us to a club that can challenge in the future. CP needs to be given the opportunity to do that, unless you are in the "get rid" camp and you have no trust in him.

• Options
    Just out of interest, and I for one would dread the situation to arise, but don't you think there are a lot of clubs out there who would be pleased to get Chris Powell as their manager?
    Over the last year or so I have read supporters of Cardiff, Brighton, and Leicester amongst others, say they would be pleased to get him. This is as unscientific a contribution as you can get, but if I were a supporter of, say, Sheffield Wednesday, and there was a prospect of landing Chris Powell, then I would be delighted and think what mugs Charlton are.