Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch quality

Comments

• Options
    we don't want a 4G pitch
  • Options
    doronron said:

we don't want a 4G pitch

You don't ?
    "We" don't ?
    Who are "we" ?

• Options

doronron said:

we don't want a 4G pitch

You don't ?
    "We" don't ?
    Who are "we" ?

I don't,and most of my Charlton mates don't,ask the people around you at the next game,you will get the same answer

• Options
    I'd be happy with one
  • Options
    If its 4g or a pitch we can't play on for 2 months a season, I know which I'd pick...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I don't get the rugby comparison, a game where a different shaped ball that wouldn't bounce normally anyway, spends most of its time off the surface rather than on it.
  • Options

I don't get the rugby comparison, a game where a different shaped ball that wouldn't bounce normally anyway, spends most of its time off the surface rather than on it.

it will suit our hoofball tactics then !!! lol

• Options

If its 4g or a pitch we can't play on for 2 months a season, I know which I'd pick...

well said

• Options
    Article in the Express regarding Maidstone's 3G pitch. With Maidstone having a good chance of getting promotion to the Conference South where their 3 pitch would not be allowed as the rules stand. Interesting comments.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/456185/Artificial-roots-are-a-stone-certainty-for-British-football-future
  • Options
    I would welcome a state of play on the pitch now, in fact I would welcome communication on a number of things but I am not holding my breath.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Granpa said:

I would welcome a state of play on the pitch now, in fact I would welcome communication on a number of things but I am not holding my breath.

Best not knowing Gramps some people might start worrying. Nearly two weeks to go anyway before we are due to play a match on it.
  • Options
    Is the dome still in place? If so, is the pitch now dry (at least on the surface)? grateful for some information please
  • Options
    Granpa said:

What would you like to know ?
  • Options
    I will try and be brief. As I understand it the drainage has collapsed completely, and therefore any rain falling will sit on the surface. This in turn means that if we get heavy rain during a game, it could easily be called off a la Doncaster. So, can anything at all be done to help the situation ? Are we doing anything to find out ? Do we have a contingency plan, because it could seriously effect our final league position. Let me know if you would like more questions, I have plenty.
  • Options
    I see, all your questions are about the pitch

020 8333 4000
  • Options
    doronron said:

we don't want a 4G pitch

My eyes are going. I thought that said a 4G Pritch. Would that be his great great grandson?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    doronron said:

doronron said:

we don't want a 4G pitch

You don't ?
    "We" don't ?
    Who are "we" ?

I don't,and most of my Charlton mates don't,ask the people around you at the next game,you will get the same answer

Have asked around 20 CAFC supporters, 75% said yes, they wouldn't mind one , 3 said either way/not fussed and 2 said No.
    So, in my opinion, most people would take a 4G pitch if it meant we could play regular football on a decent pitch, and use it during the summer to make money for the club.

• Options
    @NWCorner any update for us mate? How is the pitch looking? Greener? Less sticky? Drains still causing us hassle? Is the Cover helping?
  • Options
    To be honest PL54 I have a lot more questions about the future, and of course about the future of the management team, but obviously we will have to wait and see. Regarding the pitch, you will see here that I am not the only one who would like an update.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

@NWCorner any update for us mate? How is the pitch looking? Greener? Less sticky? Drains still causing us hassle? Is the Cover helping?</blockquote

Went down there last Wednesday. Pitch has dried out a lot although this weather isn't helping. The dome is still on it and it looked much better. It's been seeded and the grass is coming back in places. It should be half decent for Brum.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I mean half decent I mean drier and flat. It won't be a carpet just yet !
  • Options
    Cheers mate, appreciate the update
  • Options

doronron said:

doronron said:

we don't want a 4G pitch

You don't ?
    "We" don't ?
    Who are "we" ?

Have asked around 20 CAFC supporters, 75% said yes, they wouldn't mind one , 3 said either way/not fussed and 2 said No.
    So, in my opinion, most people would take a 4G pitch if it meant we could play regular football on a decent pitch, and use it during the summer to make money for the club.

and if you ask 20 top footballers if they would like to sign for Charlton on a 4g pitch or join a club with grass(not puff)on it,then what do you think they would say

• Options
    If we got a 4G pitch then what would its exit strategy be?
  • Options
    doronron said:

doronron said:

doronron said:

we don't want a 4G pitch

You don't ?
    "We" don't ?
    Who are "we" ?

and if you ask 20 top footballers if they would like to sign for Charlton on a 4g pitch or join a club with grass(not puff)on it,then what do you think they would say

How much you paying me?
  • Options
    doronron said:

doronron said:

we don't want a 4G pitch

You don't ?
    "We" don't ?
    Who are "we" ?

Your qualification on such matters?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    doronron said:

doronron said:

doronron said:

we don't want a 4G pitch

You don't ?
    "We" don't ?
    Who are "we" ?

Sorry, have asked around 20 CAFC supporters, 75% said yes, they wouldn't mind one , 3 said either way/not fussed and 2 said No.

Sorry, not too sure of your point. You stated that if I asked CAFC supporters about their thoughts on a 4G pitch they would say they don't want one. I did and they said they wouldn't mind one. Some said they would welcome one. I didn't get the "same answer" as you suggested I would.
    If I knew 20 "top" footballers I would ask them too.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I will try and be brief. As I understand it the drainage has collapsed completely, and therefore any rain falling will sit on the surface. This in turn means that if we get heavy rain during a game, it could easily be called off a la Doncaster. So, can anything at all be done to help the situation ? Are we doing anything to find out ? Do we have a contingency plan, because it could seriously effect our final league position. Let me know if you would like more questions, I have plenty.

I thought that figure was like 30% of drainage or something.
    And still no one has answered my question about the drainage though despite all the "facts" that are known. Where has it collapsed, how does this affect the pitch, can there be a short term solution.

For example I don't have drainage under my garden but water doesn't sit on it for weeks. Is there no connection to the 'ground' and our pitch - is there something waterporoof in between which stops the water doing what water normally does and seeping downwards.
    Answers on a postcard please.
  • Options

If the water drains from your garden then you probably have good natural drainage. There are large areas of the country that have been under water for weeks and weeks due to poor drainage or a high water table. These areas are unlikely to be dry for a long time after the rain subsides. A pitch located in a valley like ours with damaged drainage will take months to dry out naturally and it will not be possible to repair the drainage until the ground is dry enough to work on and the grass will not grow back until the weather warms up and sunlight increases.
    The use of the dome, in combination with suitable driers is the best we can hope for to make the best of a difficult situation in the short term.
    Get used to the fact that our pitch will not be sorted completely until the close season.
    DRF said:

Granpa said:

And still no one has answered my question about the drainage though despite all the "facts" that are known. Where has it collapsed, how does this affect the pitch, can there be a short term solution.

For example I don't have drainage under my garden but water doesn't sit on it for weeks. Is there no connection to the 'ground' and our pitch - is there something waterporoof in between which stops the water doing what water normally does and seeping downwards.
  • Options
    delroofer said:

If the water drains from your garden then you probably have good natural drainage. There are large areas of the country that have been under water for weeks and weeks due to poor drainage or a high water table. These areas are unlikely to be dry for a long time after the rain subsides. A pitch located in a valley like ours with damaged drainage will take months to dry out naturally and it will not be possible to repair the drainage until the ground is dry enough to work on and the grass will not grow back until the weather warms up and sunlight increases.
    The use of the dome, in combination with suitable driers is the best we can hope for to make the best of a difficult situation in the short term.
    Get used to the fact that our pitch will not be sorted completely until the close season.

DRF said:

Granpa said:

My garden has some of the best London clay around - I could make cups out of the stuff so no I don't think my garden has good drainage. It also doesn't have two people working and a big dome on it to try and dry it out.
    Let us not forget the pitch was in a state at the start of the season - following a very good dry summer.
    But you have written with a fair amount of authority on the subject of standing water so I assume you are one of the ground staff. Can you therefore tell me where the drainage collapsed? Or are you just offering opinion?