Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Slater, Cash & Jimenez - Why the hell did they not go about things differently?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014
    The bottom line is simple really, once Cash pulled out then the game changed completely.

TJ and MS were only ever KCs functionaries and without his cash were totally stuck and could only hope to find a new buyer, they themselves were nobodies as they were not funding it.

As the great American congressman Huey "Doc" Long used to say, "Them that's got the gold makes the rules."

So, people asking questions about the strategy of TJ and MS are barking up the wrong tree, the real question is why KC got involved in the first place and why did he pull out?

There are so many unanswered questions on this, we can only hope that Duchatelet has a more realistic grip on things than KC did with regard to finances.
  • Options
    If Roland Duchatelet has gaps in his knowledge of Championship football then at least we have some insurance in that Richard Murray is staying on board and will have the authority to communicate what he has witnessed of this squad and management over the last three years - after all he has been watching the same games as us -no pressure!
  • Options

If Roland Duchatelet has gaps in his knowledge of Championship football then at least we have some insurance in that Richard Murray is staying on board and will have the authority to communicate what he has witnessed of this squad and management over the last three years - after all he has been watching the same games as us -no pressure!

.... if Duchatelet will listen ....
  • Options
    TEL said:

I think we have been left in a stronger position albeit I think it started to go pear shaped because they couldnt find the right buyer soon enough. I think also that if they wanted to remain private about the financing and funding in this day and age of "I must know every single fact and figure and I must know now" bully for them...they stuck to there guns right to the end. A lot needed changing at the Valley and they did this as we all know too well....whether you agree with it or not is up to the individual. My view was that things had gone very stale and it needed a shake up...they did this too albeit not to everyones satisfaction least of all those that got the chop, (rightly or wrongly). Back in the day, we wouldnt have gotten to know a fraction of what was happening inside the club, and in many ways I actually prefered it that way...less to speculate about and certainly no 2+2=5 multiplied by 100+ regular posters each with there own formula.
    All Charlton's dirty washing was aired on a minute by minute basis in the last 5 years and I have to say I didnt enjoy that and that in turn made my visits here mainly to view the non footballing side of the forum. Hopefully at least for the time being that can all be put aside and we can again enjoy the club for its footballing aspects and forget about the politics. I firmly believe you can have too much information, add in specualtion, rumour, discontent etal and suddenly the reason for what brings us here comes into question. Hopefully we can look forward to a period where the football does the talking, I for one sincerely hope so.

Well said Tel. I happen to agree with all of that.
  • Options
    The failure to push on with the momentum of promotion clearly coincided with KC withdrawing funding
    and they obviously didn't do their due diligence on checking how finances would be in the Championship , I can't believe Tv money was reduced by millions
    These things can and did happen but it's the behaviour from that point which showed a lack of class from there on in
    Clearly they pissed SCP about promising him funds right up to late on that summer and they didn't materialise
    Then the pressure they put staff under and behaviour towards longstanding senior staff lead to many people leaving and court cases that don't look favourable
    I understood fully they may want their own 'yes' men in but there are ways and means of going about that procedure
    I'm not fussed about their communication and in years gone by we wouldn't have known about the turmoil but we DO know how they treated staff (and I have spoken to some ) and people behaving like c***s to other humans is not something I can personally pretend didn't happen when those staff members have their own family's and livelihoods to look after
    But I guess to some it doesn't affect me so it don't matter mentality is their prerogative

• Options
    Oohaah sometimes mate things aint what they seem, the club was in decline since the premiership years, which includes all them longstanding members of staff who many were recruited in our pomp, something had to give.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I agree in part with you Tel (in hindsight), but I do believe it is wrong to compare different eras because they are exactly that, different eras.

We live in an age of information and it is a two way street. Supporters have the platforms to discuss and speculate that they hadn't before, and in turn clubs have the ability to engage with their fanbase and feed information like never.before. in that era the club would produce a programme every fortnight. Now it does a programme a fortnight, and around five marketing emails a week, 50 web articles, 100 facebook articles and 300 tweets a week.

It is providing a huge amount of information to its fanbase, so it is only natural that that in turn creates more questions, and internet when big ticket items like who actually owns out club are shrouded in mystery.

I'm sure You are right that some of the behind the scenes dirty laundry washing hasn't helped at times, however the scope of change in quite a stable industry during what was only ever going to be a short term reign in either acrimonious disciplinary circumstances or straight forward 'can't take no more' resignations was huge, and natural stirs curiosity. When it is coupled with the other mysterious aspects I can see hoe it fuelled the distrust and speculation, especially when the funding aspect seemed to come to a halt.

However,despite all that change I just feel they could have still done all that no problem had they just gone about the PR aspect in a different light.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oohaah sometimes mate things aint what they seem, the club was in decline since the premiership years, which includes all them longstanding members of staff who many were recruited in our pomp, something had to give.

I understand that and a lot of people had left before the arrival of TJ and co because we'd been out of the prem for 4.5 seasons but the way they went about streamlining us could definitely have been done better
  • Options
    Well said Muttley
  • Options
    I think the next few seasons will be exceptionally exciting. Whether that be for positive or negative reasons we can but speculate!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

I understand that and a lot of people had left before the arrival of TJ and co because we'd been out of the prem for 4.5 seasons but the way they went about streamlining us could definitely have been done better
    Thing is, if you want to blame the staff for the decline - although it was really about the team - the business was not in decline in the summer of 2012. It was recovering and this was because of decisions made by the management that was then removed (Varney/Kavanagh). It is now under performing because of the management that replaced them, issues within it and a structure that doesn't work.

The long-serving and senior staff that have left in recent months haven't gone because of Slater and Jimenez - they've left because the current senior management is inadequate and uses the disciplinary system to bully people. All this has been pointed out to the board, Prothero and more recently Murray, but thus far they haven't been interested. Now management is worried and upset that Dave Archer and Prettee Jayasundera are leaving too, because they've lost too much knowledge from within the business and are less and less able to cope, yet it's no one's fault but their own - or if you like the board for creating this situation in the first place.

There are still a lot of good people on the staff, if generally short of experience, but it needs capable leadership at the top to hold people to account and put a stop to nonsense - in short an experienced full-time chief executive, which may well be someone completely new to the club. I'm not arguing for bringing any individual back, but the idea the set-up has been improved is laughable and everybody close to the situation knows that.

• Options
    The thing is too many fans want to now too much.
    Do we really need the trust to be asking questions as to why parts of the ground will be shut when we know a very low crowd is expected
  • Options
    clb74 said:

The thing is too many fans want to now too much.
    Do we really need the trust to be asking questions as to why parts of the ground will be shut when we know a very low crowd is expected

How many clubs staging FA Cup matches will shut two thirds of the home capacity of their ground today? At a guess, none. And if they did most would be asked why.
  • Options
    A major problem for me, as others have said, is the appalling handling of communications with the fan base. We were perhaps exceptional previously in terms of access to the board and the transparency that led to. But pretty much from day one that changed, the links broken, speculation started about ownership/aims/finances, etc. When you have an 'owner' and board clearly wanting to operate in the shadows, coupled with the removal of long standing members of staff then this is only going to lead to distrust and animosity where previously we were all pulling in the same direction.

Hopefully, RD will take a different approach and I'm encouraged that the club has, on day one, finally acknowledged that there is a long term problem with the pitch and we are going to do something about it.
  • Options
    Thanks for that AB what would we ever do without you.
  • Options

I think TJ was visionary to a certain extent, in that he could see a way to make a lot of money from Charlton and his plan was sound. A lot of people seemingly still cant see it, but it is there. Where he fell down was probably because he was a ducker and diver rather than a brilliant business man and for the plan to work, you had to put a significant amount of money in to get the big payday out.

And

Now the Belgian is going to have a crack at the jackpot! It is also a mistake in my opinion to look at the owners other clubs. Charlton offers him a unique and different opportunity to make money.

@MuttleyCAFC - very good post, but the above is the key point for me - short of getting into the Premier League and/or selling the ground, how does he do that?

There are three promotion spots up for grabs every year - one hinging on the play-offs and the possibility of penalties etc - and with quite a few of our rivals having similarly ambitious owners whose own business plan must ultimately see Premier League football as almost a necessity, it is never going to be straightforward.

Then you have to add in to the mix three relegated teams with a lot of parachute money and the assumption that at least one of them will not have squandered it all on long-term contracts they can't afford, or 'do a Pardew' with what they have left, and at least one of the three spots could be gone.

To their credit in that first summer, the previous owners must have spent big for League One in securing the likes of Kermorgant, Stephens, Wiggins, Green and Hollands on relatively long contracts, and it worked.

The general consensus seems to be that we now need to do the same again to be properly competitive in this division, which could well mean £1 million+ signings - anyone remember them?!

And to make the Peninsula a realistic option, surely we would need to be established in the Premier League?

Hopefully the new man does actually have something resembling the fabled five-year plan, because to achieve anything significant enough to make him a profit before that looks pretty challenging.
  • Options
    Genuine question: Do we know for a fact that Cash was the money man behind the Mysterons?

I ask because when the last lot took over, the massed hoards of forensic-accountants that frequent Charlton Life all quickly reached the conclusion that TJ and MC couldn't have had enough money to buy the club on their own. As quick as you could say quickly 'Les Bourdes', an assumption was reached that because of other business dealings it must be KC - with or without the Sunshine Band. At some point that assumption stopped being noted as tentative. Did I miss some genuine confirmation that we guessed it right, or was the theory just accepted as fact?

Has he ever coughed to it, or have Jimenez or Slater or RM ever said so? Has anyone ever seen him at The Valley or Sparrows Lane or anywhere else connected with the club? Has anyone ever seen any official documentation with his name on it? Has it ever been reported as a fact in the press; not just speculation? Is anyone genuinely ITK that Cash was the man? And if so, was he a solo player or were there other Mysterons who kept under the radar and remain, for the moment at least, unknown?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it was all circumstantial Stig. The fact that Michael Slater and Kevin Cash have had dealings over the years. But the loans into Baton came from BVI and so it can never be established how much of the c. £15M originated from Cash and how much from others. There are threads on the shareholdings but many of these were kept below 10% thus avoiding disclosure.
    theguardian.com/football/2011/jan/07/sepp-blatter-smaller-european-leagues
    Most of the other links on a google search of Kevin Cash Charlton go to Daily Mail or Charlton Life!
  • Options
    Stig said:

Genuine question: Do we know for a fact that Cash was the money man behind the Mysterons?

I ask because when the last lot took over, the massed hoards of forensic-accountants that frequent Charlton Life all quickly reached the conclusion that TJ and MC couldn't have had enough money to buy the club on their own. As quick as you could say quickly 'Les Bourdes', an assumption was reached that because of other business dealings it must be KC - with or without the Sunshine Band. At some point that assumption stopped being noted as tentative. Did I miss some genuine confirmation that we guessed it right, or was the theory just accepted as fact?

Has he ever coughed to it, or have Jimenez or Slater or RM ever said so? Has anyone ever seen him at The Valley or Sparrows Lane or anywhere else connected with the club? Has anyone ever seen any official documentation with his name on it? Has it ever been reported as a fact in the press; not just speculation? Is anyone genuinely ITK that Cash was the man? And if so, was he a solo player or were there other Mysterons who kept under the radar and remain, for the moment at least, unknown?

I think that it's in the nature of Mr Cash that you'll never get the evidence you want. He's unlikely to 'cough to it' and Jimenez or Slater (or probably even RM - if he knows for certain) are unlikely to say so. This is a man who told an employment tribunal that he couldn't possibly have sacked his servants as he is merely a 'non paying guest' in the mansion he occupies. Possibly PV, who was involved in the takeover by (nominally) Jimenez and Slater, knows the actual source of their funding and may now choose to tell the story (if any legal prohibitions permit him to)?

There was quite a lengthy discussion on here at time of their takeover - including a 'who's who' of some of Cash's companies, and the limited evidence available points to Slater being Cash's employee rather than an independent financier/business man in his own right.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

With the peninsula opportunity, you can see how a Premiership Charlton would really appeal to an owner with big money in the near future. Imagine owning a top club, based in the heart of Europe's financial capital on a truly stunning site. £300m for Fulham, not out of the question for us under those conditions. TJ sniffed it, but ultimately didn't have the money to get there.

Now the Belgian is going to have a crack at the jackpot! It is also a mistake in my opinion to look at the owners other clubs. Charlton offers him a unique and different opportunity to make money.

I agree with a lot of what you say with the exception of the above two points.

VOTV has set out in detail the obstacles and problems of any peninsula move - in particular that one of the two possible sites is already in the hands of a developer who has already announced plans and engaged architects for a more limited 'events space' smaller than the valley and unsuitable for football (and you have to wonder why they would do that if the opportunities are so great), while the other possible site seems to be heavily polluted and has serious access problems.

As for it being "a mistake...to look at the owners other clubs" I think that the detail and consistency of the (negative) information that has been posted on here by a number of fans of Duchatelet's other clubs is something we should take seriously.

• Options
    Does it really matter who the previous owners were? You can't change the past - is there a point to learning about it? Does leaning about it help us in the present or the future? We are where we are.
  • Options
    At the beginning of last season I met socially with an employee of the club and, over a few drinks, I was told that one of the directors ( not to be named here), had helped himself to a considerable sum of money out of the football club, in order to fund some of his other interests. When it came to light, KC was rather aggrieved as you can imagine, and the rest is history.

This is of course only hearsay, but if true it does perhaps help make some sense of the way the club has been run since then.
  • Options
    I had the name confirmed to me by someone who was once very closely connected to the cabal. The term used specifically to describe the structure was a 'front.'

However I have chosen never to name him directly either here (or more importantly on my blog) as I don't want to risk even a tiny chance of being sued because in truth he may simply have been pulling the strings behind a network of opaque brassplate companies (not something I fancy proving). It seems others are more relaxed.

Interestingly they also described Jimenez as "frightening" though I didn't pry into whether they were describing his business practices, physical prowess or perhaps just his "frightening" intellect :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Interesting the things that are starting to come to light, i wouldnt blame KC for stopping the cash if he knew one of the directors was pocketing it. It would also explain those that left at a point of principle - i dont think i ever remember airman ever saying anything about KC but rather TJ and MS.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Stig said:

Has anyone ever seen him at The Valley or Sparrows Lane or anywhere else connected with the club?

I hear he has made at least one appearance at Sparrows lane recently
  • Options

Interesting the things that are starting to come to light, i wouldnt blame KC for stopping the cash if he knew one of the directors was pocketing it. It would also explain those that left at a point of principle - i dont think i ever remember airman ever saying anything about KC but rather TJ and MS.

I'm in no doubt personally that Slater has been representing Cash and there are people who could give evidence to that effect.
  • Options
    During my 15 months involved in the supporters Trust I have heard a number of allegations. I have not repeated them nor have I contradicted others where I know their account to be less than 100%. This for a number of reasons:
    I don't always know the truth of these statements nor do I ever have a chance to get the full picture and I fail to see how it helps the club which I support.
    Let us hope that the outstanding case with Steve Kavenagh is settled with the minimum of public laundry washing and that we can move on with the competent execution of a decent strategy both on and off the pitch which takes the club back to a more sustainable place and of course higher up the league.