Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Slater, Cash & Jimenez - Why the hell did they not go about things differently?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Bubble, I am quite sure SCP is trying hard to remind him!
  • Options
    I was going to comment on Slater's laughable re-writing of history but Matt Wright has summed it up far better than I could

Matt Wright ‏@mattjobob 50m
    I take a great, GREAT, deal of issue with Slater's latest interview in the SLP - #talkingutterbollocks #cafc
  • Options
    I thought he actually spoke a lot of sense there... What bit was wrong?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    If there had been a "staff overhaul", Slater would be able to point to individuals who left in a managed way - of which there is one, the maintenance manager, who was made redundant.

He can't argue that disciplinary processes were part of a "staff overhaul" because that would be unlawful, especially since competence was never in question. Most people left by choice - often without another job - because they found the work environment and the behaviour of individuals in authority intolerable - again Slater would be opening himself up to allegations of constructive dismissal if he implied this was deliberate.

Then you look at someone like Bradshaw and ask the question, is recruiting the former chief executive of Colchester United, who left under a drink-driving cloud, to a senior position dragging the club into the 21st century?

He says "tough decisions" needed to be made, but which departures were his decision? He couldn't point to any, as far as I'm aware. But perhaps he takes a keen interest in jobbing repairs around the stadium.
  • Options

I thought he actually spoke a lot of sense there... What bit was wrong?

The staff turnover and bringing the club into the 21st century... I seem to remember we had started the century pretty damn well and as a modern club with much the same staff that were sacked/resigned in the past couple of years.
  • Options
    Also the reducing the bank debt for 7m to 4 ie paying off the mortgage at 1m per yea but ignoring the non-bank debt run up of upto 20m
  • Options
    Ha ha, talk about rewriting history. Classic!
  • Options
    The article is clearly very heavily spun and I can fully understand why many people would find that galling, to say the least.

However, it is, nevertheless, interesting and, potentially, quite revealing. Slater is very clear about the significant competitive disadvantage Charlton face at Championship level, describing the chances of automatic promotion as "remote". Ironically, Financial Fair Play makes the challenge even greater because it prevents a wealthy owner "investing" heavily to bridge the revenue gap.

I'll bet Slater wasn't as explicit as this before Duchatelet signed the deal!! I sense that he then throws the gauntlet down to Duchatelet, "I don't know what his vision is ... ". He says that Duchatelet will be good for the club. Let's hope he is, but I'd also bet that Slater is saying "Good luck to him, he'll need it".

Whilst Slater's comments about Charlton needing to change (as a business) might be disingenuous, I wouldn't dismiss them entirely. If you're at a major competitive disadvantage what do you do? Slater is implying that given the financial constraints any owner of Charlton will face, the Club will need a huge slice of luck to win promotion. I suspect he's genuine when he says that a part of the solution has to be to cut non-playing costs as far as possible and raise revenues. I have no idea if that's remotely feasible, but I wouldn't be surprised if Duchatelet shares the same mindset. Slater may even have pitched it to him.

Beyond improving the "business performance" of the Club (again, insofar as that's possible) the only viable strategy for value creation is very smart player recruitment and development. Here, Duchatelet's network of Clubs might have an important part to play. We'll see.

If this is the strategy then, naturally, its a long game. You wait until the strategy delivers the players. In the meantime, you seek to minimise losses. Sound familiar? I wouldn't be surprised if, in the short-term, the new boss looks similar to the old boss. Again, I guess we'll see.

• Options
    Yours is a clear-eyed and level-headed view, MF. My worry is that Duchatelet thinks that players loaned from his other clubs will save us this season, when investment in more experienced and effective players is needed sharpish.
  • Options
    The loan system, in a way, circumvents the Financial Fair Play so we may be the start of something new in football here...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My worry is that Duchatelet thinks that players loaned from his other clubs will save us this season, when investment in more experienced and effective players is needed sharpish.

I think that's a risk too. In a sense, Chris Powell is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He clearly needs to strengthen the squad and its important he makes this clear to Duchatelet. However, if he over plays his hand in that respect, Duchatelet is hardly likely to enthusiastically renew player contracts. Moreover, Powell may even undermine his own position.
  • Options
    I think Michael Slater's contribution is interesting and perhaps warrants a formal response from the supporters Trust. We should be measured, precise and looking to point out where the club can move forwards. Simple things like resolving the drainage under the pitch come to mind which really tie to getting the core business right and bringing it into the 21st century!
    I expect he won't be on the board much longer so no point in spending too much time moaning.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I think it's getting somewhat ridiculous, that the Trust, appear to consider, making a formal response, to just about everything, Charlton related and I am a member of the Trust.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Slater pah....

these latest quotes dont even stack up on the quality of bullshit front. He seems to slip up in this interview.

to quote

" It's a very competitive league."Roland hasn't shared with me what his vision is, but clearly his connection with other clubs gives access to more players. He can help to remove some of Charlton's competitive disadvantage."

But.later he says;

"We have made the club competitive in the Championship:"

Thats a complete contradiction

truth is he is bigging up his role far far too much. No modesty,

Part of the reason ive always been so hard on MS since summer 2012 is his public.statements are bull. Ever since his boss stopped the money i guess.