Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morrissey

Comments

• Options
    The Smiths were great & Morrisey by himself is average. I saw him at Ally Pally just over 2 years ago.

Music is all about personal taste, but they will still be well known when we're long gone.

I don't really agree with many of his views, but I listen to the music, not his ramblings.
  • Options
    If you think The Smiths were miserable, then you clearly weren't listening.

• Options

If everyone clicked the link then The Guardian has just seen its website traffic quadrupled in an hour.

I liked some of The Smiths stuff, it had its place in 1970's Northern England.

The North? Not far away enough for me.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Another thing about him that does my head in is the whole mystery he has tried to create around his sexuality. He admits to having had a boyfriend recently, but refuses to be referred to as homosexual or bisexual.

"Unfortunately, I am not homosexual. In technical fact, I am humasexual. I am attracted to humans."

Get over yourself.

humaphobia will not be tolerated anymore. it's 2014, not 1950
  • Options

If you think The Smiths were miserable, then you clearly weren't listening.

Oh come on!

You're obviously a Smiths fan so clearly you "get" them. But you can't deny that to some people the wailing voice and singing about things like misery will sound a bit ... Er ... miserable.

And I say that as someone who quite likes some of the Smiths stuff.

Either way, his comments are poor.
  • Options
    Morrisy was/is supposed to be an entertainer, but has never managed to entertain me, and that's despite me being a vegetarian too.
  • Options
    Love Jonny Marr as a guitarist and songwriter (his solo album is brilliant)

Like the Smiths and Morrissey's voice but can't stand him as a person.
  • Options
    I didn't get The Smiths and I was there when they came on the scene. I am quite happy I didn't get them either.
    I didn't go to University in the early 80's like some of my contemporaries who did like them. Probably some level of correlation there I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I didn't get The Smiths and I was there when they came on the scene. I am quite happy I didn't get them either.
    I didn't go to University in the early 80's like some of my contemporaries who did like them. Probably some level of correlation there I'd imagine.

I'll go with that. I knew a couple of public school boys who absolutely loved the Smiths but the working class lads who went to my comp couldn't have given two shits about them. Despite their whole dreary Manchester background they were a magnet to pretentious sad sacks who never had anything to moan about in the first place.
  • Options
    And I think I'm right in saying that Morrisey and I think Marr too totally stitched up the other members of the band financially.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Geezer needs stoning for saying that
  • Options
    Huge fan of Morrisseys music and The Smiths, reading his autobiography at the moment, he is very precious and arrogant and hate his politics and ranting.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Huge fan of Morrisseys music and The Smiths, reading his autobiography at the moment, he is very precious and arrogant and hate his politics and ranting.

He's no Elvis! ;-)
  • Options

Riviera said:

I'll go with that. I knew a couple of public school boys who absolutely loved the Smiths but the working class lads who went to my comp couldn't have given two shits about them. Despite their whole dreary Manchester background they were a magnet to pretentious sad sacks who never had anything to moan about in the first place.

Sorry, but nonsense, know loads of working class people who love them, that includes me and my brother who were on the scene in the 80's, and got them straight away.
  • Options
    ...and of course all this fuss repeated on forums across the country is just what he hoped for. Especially oon football sites so he can do the whole "bullied grammar school boy picked on by the oafs" thing. Which is sad in a 56 yr old. Like I said, will trade any ethical integrity to fuel his publicity machine.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

DA9 said:

He's no Elvis! ;-)
    That he is not, but musically and lyrically I think he is awesome

• Options
    He'a just a left wing Katie Hopkins, trolling you all for a reaction, and he's got it.

Unless he genuinely believes what he says... In which case he needs a slap.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

He'a just a left wing Katie Hopkins, trolling you all for a reaction, and he's got it.

Unless he genuinely believes what he says... In which case he needs a slap.

Agree with this! He's just trying to wind Charlton supporters up
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Riviera said:

Sorry, but nonsense, know loads of working class people who love them, that includes me and my brother who were on the scene in the 80's, and got them straight away.

Woah, just my experience DA9, don't really want to fall out over a band I don't give two hoots about ;-) anyway, what do I know, I was entering my hair metal phase.
  • Options

DA9 said:

Riviera said:

Woah, just my experience DA9, don't really want to fall out over a band I don't give two hoots about ;-) anyway, what do I know, I was entering my hair metal phase.
    No falling out, just a bit of a sweeping statement, and what is hair metal? :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @DA9 - think big riffs, think bikini clad ladies in over the top videos. Think Poison, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi. Thankfully it was a phase that was short-lived. Mascara and hairspray is doable, just, if you live in LA. Not so much in mid 80s North Yorkshire :-(
  • Options
    Can't believe he said that, its almost like he's desperate for attention or something.....:)

Love The Smiths too.
  • Options
    I do like the smiths, but i've got to be honest the only times i really listen to them is when i'm down in the dumps and want to feel all sorry for myself.
  • Options
    Love the smiths and they were way before my time, never been to a university. I'm not one for taking Morrisey seriously in fact I laugh at the nonsense he comes out with. Same as laughing at Noel Gallagher saying he hoped Damon Albarn died of AIDS if you take it seriously you are giving what they say credit.

Love Oasis but think Liam Gallagher is a moron.

Let's not forget king of the working class Johnny Rotten is a property magnate whilst screaming against capitalism to his disciples
  • Options

He is an animal rights activist who equates what he perceives the crimes committed on animals as the same as those committed on humans. Mad I know, but when we read the statement "I see no difference between eating animals and paedophilia" we are shocked because we eat animals and don't think it is a big deal so we read his statement as paedophilia as not being a big deal in his eyes. However, from his perspective, eating animals is a very big deal so he isn't saying paedophilia isn't. It is about context - I think he is a bit mad but I don't think he is saying paedophilia is alright. SO we can dig him out for being a bit of a moody looney and a bit strange, but we can't dig him out for that comment.

You should work in politics. With you as a spin doctor a cat with a rosette would win!
  • Options
    Some of The Smiths stuff is miserablist, not least Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, but that's not all of it. Some of their stuff is quite jubilant (admittedly more down to Marr's guitar than Mozza's vocals). If you haven't noticed that, it might be time for another listen.
  • Options

@DA9 - think big riffs, think bikini clad ladies in over the top videos. Think Poison, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi. Thankfully it was a phase that was short-lived. Mascara and hairspray is doable, just, if you live in LA. Not so much in mid 80s North Yorkshire :-(

Do you like Steel Panther?

• Options
    No FOD, I've moved on to very different musical pastures. They've certainly got 'the look' right though.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I was 15 in '85 and considered The Smiths depressing but then I didn't understand the beauty of 'not very happy, non-upbeat, non-mainstream music'.

I missed out as I was just buying Level 42 and David Grant and Jaki Graham when I also should have been buying REM and JAMC.

Morrissey is a legend with some strange views.